Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Is it really a good idea to move abroad?

Ask questions and get advice, or share advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following someone's advice here.
Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's already been addressed.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Re: Is it really a good idea to move abroad?

Postby MarcosZeitola » Thu May 05, 2016 7:53 pm

Different things work for different people. Some people may be miserable abroad, others may thrive in a different environment. Regardless of what side of the argument you are on, we can agree on one thing: if one environment is not working out for you for whatever reason, trying another environment and seeing how you like it there, may not be the worst of ideas. We can spend days, weeks, months of our life debating what to do, debating the best course of action. We may spend years debating ourselves. Weighing, endlessly, the pro's and cons. What good is this to us?

I could have waited too. Maybe my country of origin would have brought me happiness. Maybe everything I ever looked for was right around the corner. But, it wasn't. It didn't come. Me and my home place did not click. And I found that click someplace else. I acted, and found what I was looking for. You could find it too. You could also fail. Nothing is certain, but what I am certain about is this: moving abroad, for a lot of people, is a good idea.

And if not moving abroad, then at the very least traveling abroad for extended periods of time, seeing many different places, people, cultures, is helpful to your own life journey. If you can afford it, don't hesitate. Life is too short to waste away debating yourself and others. Just, get a ticket and get on that plane, and see what's out there.
MarcosZeitola
Experienced Poster

Postby USA_luxury_prison » Fri May 06, 2016 12:21 am

MarcosZeitola wrote:Different things work for different people. Some people may be miserable abroad, others may thrive in a different environment. Regardless of what side of the argument you are on, we can agree on one thing: if one environment is not working out for you for whatever reason, trying another environment and seeing how you like it there, may not be the worst of ideas. We can spend days, weeks, months of our life debating what to do, debating the best course of action. We may spend years debating ourselves. Weighing, endlessly, the pro's and cons. What good is this to us?

I could have waited too. Maybe my country of origin would have brought me happiness. Maybe everything I ever looked for was right around the corner. But, it wasn't. It didn't come. Me and my home place did not click. And I found that click someplace else. I acted, and found what I was looking for. You could find it too. You could also fail. Nothing is certain, but what I am certain about is this: moving abroad, for a lot of people, is a good idea.

And if not moving abroad, then at the very least traveling abroad for extended periods of time, seeing many different places, people, cultures, is helpful to your own life journey. If you can afford it, don't hesitate. Life is too short to waste away debating yourself and others. Just, get a ticket and get on that plane, and see what's out there.

That's exactly what I needed, thanks. You're right and I can't disagree with what you wrote since you're being honest.

I hope you don't mind me asking but how long did you wait until finally moving abroad and what country or state were you originally in?

"We can spend days, weeks, months of our life debating what to do, debating the best course of action. We may spend years debating ourselves. Weighing, endlessly, the pro's and cons. What good is this to us?" << I think fear is what stops most people from doing what they really want to do.

People like you that have moved abroad only motivate me even more to take action, save up, and travel abroad. Thanks for writing all of that.
"America is fun"

~USA_luxury_prison
USA_luxury_prison
Freshman Poster

Postby Yohan » Sun May 08, 2016 3:43 am

USA_luxury_prison wrote:
1 -

I mean think about it. I know Winston makes many good points and is very blunt about America's list of endless problems including the one's too taboo to talk about but isn't moving abroad permanently taking it too far?

2 -

For one when moving abroad you will always be an outsider in that country no matter how hard you try to fit in or be a part of their community. Try living in Madrid and trying to fit in with the rest and see if people will accept you as one of them. It won't work because you can't speak fluent Spanish...
Secondly, unless you have close friends or family there already in the country, prepare to spend a lot of time in solitude...

3 -

Wouldn't it be a complete waste of time if you traveled from place to place trying to find where you fit in...

I am living abroad, away from my native country since over 3 decades, I never came back.

Just my opinion:

1 -

If you are dissatisfied with your life in your place, try to move and relocate. Make sure there is an escape route for you, in case of serious problems you can just take an airplane and going back home from where you come from.
If you are happy anyway, no need to consider to move away, but check it out with some short trips for vacation to see how life is going beyond your borders.

2 -
These language problems are exaggerated. There is no need to integrate. I am living as a foreigner from Europe among Japanese locals and enjoy it.
Of course if you speak the local language this is an advantage, but nobody can expect and does not expect a foreigner to talk like a local.

About being an outsider, this will decline after a while considerably, it's all about time - for example, I am using the same medical doctors since decades, the same motorcycle repair shop, the same gas-station, the same shops in the shopping mall, the same restaurants, doing my job since years etc. etc. - People next to me know me, some of them since many years. There is no mistrust or discrimination - not anymore.

3 -

To travel around and to collect impressions about the world we are living is never a waste of time and money.
I do not regret any of my trips and finally my relocation from Europe to Asia.
Yohan
Veteran Poster

Postby USA_luxury_prison » Mon May 09, 2016 1:14 am

Yohan wrote:I am living abroad, away from my native country since over 3 decades, I never came back.

3 -

To travel around and to collect impressions about the world we are living is never a waste of time and money.
I do not regret any of my trips and finally my relocation from Europe to Asia.

Ok, I agree with your first 2 points. I am however wondering, why did you move from Europe to Asia and never went back? Was there something about Europe you didn't like? And what part of Europe? I have my eyes set on traveling somewhere in Eastern Europe someday.

That 3rd point I also agree with.
"America is fun"

~USA_luxury_prison
USA_luxury_prison
Freshman Poster

Postby The_Adventurer » Mon May 09, 2016 9:30 am

About escape routes.

I always consider the Philippines to be my escape route, rather than flying all the way back home. For the price of a ticket home, I could hang out in the Phils for a month or two, get my bearings and decide what to do next. I do have a friend there I could stay with, but even if I didn't, I know some hotels or pension houses, in Cebu City, that I have stayed in long term in the past, that are cheap enough to hang in while I make decisions.

Cambodia might be an even cheaper options for a get away.

Aside from the expense of flying back home, the cost of living there would require me to, probably, live with my parents, and get a job immediately. It's a good recipe for getting permanently stuck there. Granted, if I could get a job working on The Flash or Supergirl, or one of these other new superhero shows, it might be worth it, but, then, those shows are probably made in Canada anyway.
“b***y is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of b***y in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Postby Bao3niang » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:07 am

The reason why I don't bother with this forum anymore is because it has lost its direction, its essence. This post is a good example. I have gotten the inspiration I need from HA as well as forming my own, same conclusions, I don't need an Internet forum to 'guide' me anymore. You guys need to just go out there and do it. Of course it will be a big change in many ways, took me a year or two to get adjusted to China despite being ethnically Chinese. I was a kid back then. Unfortunately back then I was still somewhat pro-Western, so I didn't fully appreciate being in Asia. If only I had the mindset I have right now, say 5 or 6 years ago, but better late than never. One night, when I was 11, I made the decision to return to China over staying in Vancouver, and it's been the best choice I have made in my life so far. Unfortunately I am now back in Vancouver for college but I know that I belong in the East. I consider my time in the West as a young adult to be mthing more than a stint, although it's still a psychologically torturous one. Having abusive "family" and "relatives" doesn't make it any easier. Imagine if I made the decision to stay in Vancouver on that night. I would turn out to be just another banana. I would be a totally different Andy, a totally different Bao3niang.
CYKA BLYAT!!!!!!
Bao3niang
Junior Poster

Previous

Return to Questions and Advice