Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Re: 21 and lost in America

Post by xiongmao »

I had a similar beginnings to my career. I studied science and failed to get a job in science. Then I applied for a few IT jobs. I had a great 20 years of earning an above salary for a job that I enjoyed.

Now I am also teaching English overseas (here's my blog about it). I save virtually all of my salary and it's a pretty fun job. On top of that I'm only effectively working for 8 months of the year.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

xiongmao wrote:
January 7th, 2018, 4:01 am
I had a similar beginnings to my career. I studied science and failed to get a job in science. Then I applied for a few IT jobs. I had a great 20 years of earning an above salary for a job that I enjoyed.

Now I am also teaching English overseas (here's my blog about it). I save virtually all of my salary and it's a pretty fun job. On top of that I'm only effectively working for 8 months of the year.
I just started reading your blog, it's very interesting. It is possible to make a decent living teaching English overseas. I have a bachelors degree in psychology, I wonder if I can teach English in Poland or Germany.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

jamesbond wrote:
January 7th, 2018, 6:19 am
xiongmao wrote:
January 7th, 2018, 4:01 am

I just started reading your blog, it's very interesting. It is possible to make a decent living teaching English overseas. I have a bachelors degree in psychology, I wonder if I can teach English in Poland or Germany.
Last I heard, they were always looking for English teachers in Poland. And even without a work permit, Americans apparently can stay in Poland indefinitely by leaving every 90 days then coming back and getting a new 90-day stamp. You'd probably need to get one of the TEFL certificates. Maybe one of the cheaper online ones would suffice, but can't say for sure.

Germany may be a bit more problematic. Seems like they all speak English anyway. But if Germany's calling you, you're right next door in Poland.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

gsjackson wrote:
January 7th, 2018, 7:44 am
Last I heard, they were always looking for English teachers in Poland. And even without a work permit, Americans apparently can stay in Poland indefinitely by leaving every 90 days then coming back and getting a new 90-day stamp. You'd probably need to get one of the TEFL certificates. Maybe one of the cheaper online ones would suffice, but can't say for sure.

Germany may be a bit more problematic. Seems like they all speak English anyway. But if Germany's calling you, you're right next door in Poland.
Thanks for the information gsjackson, I will look into it.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."

Return to “Questions and Advice”