What do you think of the Bay Area (SF, Oakland, San Jose)?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
TruthOrConsequences
Freshman Poster

What do you think of the Bay Area (SF, Oakland, San Jose)?

Post by TruthOrConsequences »

It seems like it has quite a bit to offer as far as decent enough climate, leisure activities of every kind as well as numerous economic opportunities (plenty of manufacturers and companies' headquarters, Silicon Valley, etc.). I'm not out to seek friends or the "love of my life" here, but it helps that the Bay Area is pretty diverse and multilingual, so nobody should feel left out as far as finding a subculture to fit into or be around. There are some problems here (what place doesn't have them?) like extremely liberal politics, dense traffic at times and very high cost of living, but those are all pretty common for any large metropolitan area of any country.
There seem to be some pretty decent schools in the area like Berkeley, some UC campuses and a couple of universities in the city itself, along with job opportunities in manufacturing, shipping and construction. In addition to California's economy being the biggest in the nation and 12th/13th biggest in the world, one can't help but think there's a way to make a living here despite the high rent and prices.

Is it a decent place to live as far as the continental US goes? A big port city with plenty of cities and towns surrounding it, but is it worth living in?
Would it be a good place to get by and get some experience to later internationalize yourself and move overseas? I know many people on here have lived and worked in the Bay Area. What all have you guys experienced and what do you have to say? Any input?

P.S. I have more to say about my experience here, but I just wanted to this thread going and started.
Jusqu'au bout a tout prix..