Help with flight planning

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
snede
Freshman Poster

Help with flight planning

Post by snede »

I am starting to plan another trip to Ukraine for this April. Since I am traveling from Austin, Texas, every option involves using multiple airlines and I have been having trouble trying to book the complete trip. Most of the online sites just do not deal very well with connection flights to Ukraine. Many of them show Turkish Airlines as the only option, and I really don't want to connect in Istanbul, largely because of the political situation. I know there are other options, but I haven't found the sites that will display them.

Suggestions?
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Re: Help with flight planning

Post by Zambales »

You can fly to Kiev from Austin, via London on two British Airways flights.
snede
Freshman Poster

Post by snede »

Zambales wrote:
January 27th, 2018, 3:49 pm
You can fly to Kiev from Austin, via London on two British Airways flights.
And then connect there. I would really like to book it all as one trip, but very few sites will let me do that. Or even find the connections. I'll take a look at this one.

And I just tried to book a flight from Austin, Texas to Kiev, Ukraine and the British Airways web site won't let me do it.

And in Ukraine, the 737s that UIA flies are in good shape and make for pleasant flights, unlike the 767s they use for transAtlantic flights,
Zambales
Experienced Poster

Post by Zambales »

Try Skyscanner or Momondo. I've made a solitary booking which involved multiple flights with these sites previously.
snede
Freshman Poster

Post by snede »

Zambales wrote:
January 28th, 2018, 10:28 am
Try Skyscanner or Momondo. I've made a solitary booking which involved multiple flights with these sites previously.
Skyscanner didn't work very well for me. I just tried Momondo and every single flight used Turkish Airlines. Deselect Turkish Airlines and there are zero flights shown. I really do not want to be changing planes in a country where I can't even get a visa to visit.

However, I will remember Momondo when I'm not trying to fly to Ukraine.
Devil Dog
Freshman Poster

Post by Devil Dog »

You may have to use two different airlines to fly from Austin to Kiev but there is no need to use more than two. I like using ITA Matrix for airfare searches. Search options are not as good on Google Flights, and Skyscanner is just screwed up in my experience.

If I search all starting days for April, 28 day trip, then all of the dates have fares available around $1000 round trip. For example, starting April 10 you can get a round trip fare using United and Swiss for $951. The last leg to Kiev is Swiss, probably a code share though, so it can all be booked as one trip. Return is all on United. There are a few fares slightly cheaper that day but they take a lot longer. The $951 fare is about 19 hours total time each way.
snede
Freshman Poster

Post by snede »

Cool tool. Still sucks for flying to Ukraine. Every flight under $4K seems to require flying on Turkish Airlines.
There are other combinations to get there.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Skyscanner doesn't always know about flights that don't depart every day. Plus it caches stuff and only the more busy routes have enough queries to make the results meaningful.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.