Google Maps and Ukrainian street names

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
snede
Freshman Poster

Google Maps and Ukrainian street names

Post by snede »

I'm preparing for another trip to Ukraine and I'm running into problems looking up locations by address. My strategy is to put anything of interest into my contacts on my Android tablet or phone and then look it up in Google Maps. I'm having real problems with Maps not being able to deal with the Anglicized versions of some of the street names.

Any recommendations?
Shemp
Experienced Poster

Re: Google Maps and Ukrainian street names

Post by Shemp »

Ukranian is the official language of Ukraine but the Russian influence is still very strong, and this presents a problem with maps, since every street in Kiev and other mostly Russian speaking cities in Ukraine have two names, the older Russian name plus the newer Ukrainian name, and thus two Anglisized versions as well. These names usually differ only in one or two letters, but that is enough to cause problems with computers. (There is also the issue that street names in honor of Communist heroes were recently renamed to erase the Communist legacy, but people still use the old names and the physical street signs, especially those embedded in walls of buildings, still show the old names.)

What I do is use HereWeGo and Maps.me as well as Google maps. I think HereWeGo still shows the old Russian names (and the Communist names too). Or maybe it was Maps.Me. You could also try Sygic maps. I don't have Ukraine maps loaded on my phone currently so I can't test.