Should I Cancel My Trip to China and Hong Kong in October?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Should I Cancel My Trip to China and Hong Kong in October?

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

E Irizarry R&B Singer wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 10:59 am
You guys have seen what HK (Hong Kong) is like nowadays; I loathe that place.
I felt guilty when I was there because I felt the same. But even local dudes I spoke to in retail agreed with me that HK sucks. It is part the Chinese incursion, and the overcrowded conditions.

If you are a billionaire in HK, you might live in a modest McMansion type home due to space restrictions. Mere millionaires often live in small, modest apartments.

And working people and below live in utter squalor.
Last edited by Contrarian Expatriate on January 22nd, 2019, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

globe-trotter
Freshman Poster

Post by globe-trotter »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 3:08 pm
I felt guilty when I was there because I felt the same. But even local dudes I spoke to in retail agreed with me that HK sucks. It is part the Chinese incursion, and the overcrowded conditions.

If you are a billionaire in HK, you might live in a modest McMansion type home due to space restrictions. Mere millionaires often live in small, modest apartments.

I and working people and below live in squalor.
What specifically is so terrible about Hong Kong now as opposed to the way it was in the past?
Has it become homogenized and sterile due to an influx of soulless chain businesses? (this has happened to NY)
globe-trotter
Freshman Poster

Post by globe-trotter »

globe-trotter wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 8:32 am
xiongmao wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 1:29 am
I'm in China right now. I got worried but then I got reassured by finding a video that claims there are 400,000 foreign English teachers in China. Safety in numbers and all that!

China has a visa system so it can stop unwanted people coming here in the first place.

A few countries have exit visa restrictions. I once looked into working in Saudi - they have the same. Uh, no thanks on that one!

Oh well, drop by if you pass by Zhejiang.
Thanks for the invitation, mate! I wish I had more time in China. It's a huge country, and couldn't possibly be explored in the limited time I have. I'm going to be checking out only some of the main highlights (Great Wall, Forbidden City, Shanghai, etc.).

Off topic: Could you recommend a small town or village between Shanghai and Beijing that would give me a good idea of village/small town life in China? It will be a good contrast to the huge cities I'll be visiting.
You guys might want to PM this kind of information. China must remain China. You guys have seen what HK (Hong Kong) is like nowadays; I loathe that place.
Good idea.
MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

I went to Hong Kong in '05 or '06, I think. My office sent me for a training event. I stayed in a nice hotel that had really great dim sum on the breakfast buffet. I enjoyed it. I'd been living in messy dirty Jakarta, so Hong Kong seemed so nice and developed and not so crowded. It's crowded, though, compared to anywhere I'd lived in the US.

The hotel was a high end place with aromatherapy or something like that in the hallway that smelled great. They were too strict on rules, like Singapore, not letting me use the exercise room because I did not bring athletic shoes. After a talk with management, the folks upstairs let me lift weights if I weren't going to use a treadmill. The room was nice, but it was a lot smaller than the hotels the office would put me up in when I traveled Indonesia for work. Everything was nicer, just smaller.

I had no idea that the city was so beautiful. Actually, I'd seen it at night from an airplane and it was spectacular, but I did not know what it would look like closer to the ground with all those white towers jutting up from the green mountains. And if you take the ferry at night, there are all those lighted signs. A Hong Kong-American friend of mine who'd lived in Jakarta before took me to a local diner for some of the local fushion cuisine. It was excellent. His friends from work asked why he was taking someone from out of town to a little diner instead of some place nice. But he told me this was the only place they served this kind of food. The folks from work who took me out took me to a Chinese place-- steamed chicken, sea cucumbers, and a few dishes better than that. I much preferred the diner food. The place was clean. White tile floors with brightly colored tables and chairs as I recall. Clean, but nothing fancy.

I didn't have much to do, and, walking through the market, a woman asked me to go up to see some merchandise. She took me to an apartment with knock-off purses. I just looked around, thinking about buying something for my wife, but having no idea how much a knock off was worth. I didn't have a lot of cash on my at the time as I recall. So the Chinese lady got upset and insisted I leave with her. I guess she considered me to be wasting her time in trying to get commissions for the purses. She was rather rude about it. It was such a weird experience, though, it was kind of entertaining, like watching a stereotypical Chinese lady out of a movie.

The office where I visited had an interesting view of the boats in the harbor, too. Their view was a lot better than ours in Jakarta.

So how has Hong Kong changed as a place to visit? What's wrong with it now, at least, from the perspective of a tourist or someone on a business trip?
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

The Chinese are at fault for that SAR area too....and it being a former British country.....it's really part of the Anglosphere and sucks. Not for nothing, but ZA (South Africa) is probably better for P4P, food, etc... Security was never an issue although I almost got into with a couple of Westerners at a McDonald's in Kowloon. Pro.stitution is rampant there in Kowloon at night. I slept with a self-Anglicized "Asian " mudshark pro whom was originally from Oregon (I only screwed her because the African pro's there were ugly and had bad attitude (I was in HK for 2 weeks before I succumbed to P4P/I was too horny at that point, but she was selling "pizza by the slice" (no drugs guys - it's not that deep!)! I know I know I know.

I am 6'3" and I lived in a "shoebox" in a crowded 25 story mansion living(You think NYC is bad, HK got it beat!) for 2.5 weeks at 120 USD nightly and there was trash/garbage on window sills on their A/C heating units outside their shoeboxes stories up!!! I dropped 3K in 2.5 weeks in Hong Kong. Expensive as hell and negative ROI for it! I got into a teat a teat argument with a Nigerian woman (non-pro but we met on a dating site forgot which one) because she a.ssumed that I was a cuck that was going to pay for clothes when she brought three articles of clothing to the counter WITHOUT ASKING ME FIRST IF I WANT TO TAKE HER SHOPPING. She suggested I follow her into the clothing store and wait for her for her to pull that stunt. When I rejected her thinking of me as a walking ATM, she veered off a minute later from me as we walked outside the store knowing I was not beta and frugal (damn straight). She blocked me on WhatsApp by the time I got Wi-Fi signal when I returned to my "shoebox".

My feet were able to touch the top of the bathroom sink and the walll mounted LCD TV all in arc motion. Good thing my place was decently maintained with no mold/spore action nor bedbugs nor any other b.s. It was hot ...had to keep the A/C on constantly. Just s.hit.

P.S.: Too many Anglophone Africans, Pakistanis (though foodwise they saved my life!), and too many Anglosphere rejects from Canada and the UK there. Ewwwwww just ewwwwwwwwwwwww, man. The only highlights I had were the Pakistani food in the mansion I stayed in and with a mainland Chinese girl I accosted (without groping her) on the HK subway. She was an 8/10 and her friendliness was 10/10; she was trilingual (Mandarin, Cantonese (HK dialect primarily), and broken English). We exchanged WeChat information, but for some reason, she had not replied to me that much. She was from Guangzhou and was visiting Hong Kong for the day.

I should have taken the ferry to Macau although I heard it's expensive there too but at least I would probably have met some Porto-speaking Chinese there.
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

globe-trotter wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 7:30 pm

What specifically is so terrible about Hong Kong now as opposed to the way it was in the past?
Has it become homogenized and sterile due to an influx of soulless chain businesses? (this has happened to NY)
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

I have been watching videos recently people have put out who are europeans living in China and they are claiming it is turning much more totalitarian over what it was say 10 years ago and it is making alot of westerners uncomfortable....
Time to Hide!
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Moretorque wrote:
January 23rd, 2019, 6:36 am
I have been watching videos recently people have put out who are europeans living in China and they are claiming it is turning much more totalitarian over what it was say 10 years ago and it is making alot of westerners uncomfortable....
Nice! Westerners are talking over shit running from dysfunction to spread more of it. Good for the Chinese! Westernizers are too narcissist and/or idiotic to adapt to new culture so fuggin 'em.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

January 23rd, 2019, 9:11 pm
Moretorque wrote:
Nice! Westerners are talking over shit running from dysfunction to spread more of it. Good for the Chinese! Westernizers are too narcissist and/or idiotic to adapt to new culture so fuggin 'em.
I think you are lost, they claim it is becoming business unfriendly for common foreigners. The communist always try and rebrand their dictatorships as friendly to civilians but eventually the iron fist is unveiled and shoved up the a$$ of the populace.

At least in America the fore fathers new what they were running from and armed the populace, you guys who can't figure this out are not real gifted in the thought process...
Time to Hide!
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Moretorque wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 5:42 am
Moretorque wrote:
I think you are lost, they claim it is becoming business unfriendly for common foreigners. The communist always try and rebrand their dictatorships as friendly to civilians but eventually the iron fist is unveiled and shoved up the a$$ of the populace.

At least in America the fore fathers new what they were running from and armed the populace, you guys who can't figure this out are not real gifted in the thought process...
..and this is coming from a guy that coined the term "America is becoming more stupider and stupider". "Ok Harry. I'll skip to my lu", exhorts Jim Carrey - Dumb And Dumber (1994)
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

January 24th, 2019, 7:03 am
Moretorque wrote:
Moretorque wrote:

..and this is coming from a guy that coined the term "America is becoming more stupider and stupider". "Ok Harry. I'll skip to my lu", exhorts Jim Carrey - Dumb And Dumber (1994)
Who are they importing to make it stupider and stupider ? Can you say DAA Black man.... and even the Black man likes his guns so even they aren't complete fools about protecting themselves from the evil cracker people who are hell bent on laying claim to it all..
Time to Hide!
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Moretorque wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 7:41 am
January 24th, 2019, 7:03 am
Moretorque wrote:
Moretorque wrote:

Who are they importing to make it stupider and stupider ? Can you say DAA Black man.... and even the Black man likes his guns so even they aren't complete fools about protecting themselves from the evil cracker people who are hell bent on laying claim to it all..
What the fcuk does a Black guy have to do with what I'm talking about? What rock in Florida have you crawled from under? There are a plethora of idiots being imported to America from the whole world.
globe-trotter
Freshman Poster

Post by globe-trotter »

January 23rd, 2019, 12:08 am
globe-trotter wrote:
January 22nd, 2019, 7:30 pm

This was informative. Thanks.
In your opinion, how has the culture of Hong Kong changed since the British left?
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

globe-trotter wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 9:35 am

In your opinion, how has the culture of Hong Kong changed since the British left?
I am by no means an expert in HK, but according to locals, the politics of HK is increasingly screwed up due to the Chinese government.

Also, there has been a huge brain drain from HK since the time the British gave it over to China, and the population growth from mainland Chinese people has made a bad situation almost intolerable in terms of overcrowding, prices, and the culture clash with mainlanders.

Hong kongers May look like Chinese people but they HATE them. One Uber driver showed me popular YouTube videos of Chinese people’s behavior in HK.

Example:
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

January 24th, 2019, 10:25 am
globe-trotter wrote:
January 24th, 2019, 9:35 am

I am by no means an expert in HK, but according to locals, the politics of HK is increasingly screwed up due to the Chinese government.

Also, there has been a huge brain drain from HK since the time the British gave it over to China, and the population growth from mainland Chinese people has made a bad situation almost intolerable in terms of overcrowding, prices, and the culture clash with mainlanders.

Hong kongers May look like Chinese people but they HATE them. One Uber driver showed me popular YouTube videos of Chinese people’s behavior in HK.

Example:
Noth'in summonsing Godzilla or Mothra couldn't fix in short order.....
Time to Hide!