Best Certificate for Teaching English in Russia?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Light
Freshman Poster

Best Certificate for Teaching English in Russia?

Post by Light »

What is the best certificate for teaching English in Russia? Do people get jobs at private language academies or in a Russian school? Is it random who you teach? Children, high school students, university students, anyone with an interest in learning English, or Russian business professionals?

Has anyone on this website ever taught English in a EU country like Slovakia or is the EU impossible to get work as a English teacher for people without the right to legally work in the EU?
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 12th, 2019, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Light
Freshman Poster

Re: Best Certificate for Teaching English in Russia?

Post by Light »

Ghost wrote:
April 27th, 2019, 12:21 pm
I don't know what the "best" cert would be, but if you're worried about whether not your cert would be accepted in Russia, just take a TEFL or CELTA course in country. And make sure the program offers job search assistance. In any country, you'd just apply for the jobs you want. If you want to teach high school, you'd contact high schools. If you wanted to teach at a language center, you'd contact those places. But be forewarned that supply and demand never fails - i.e. if you want to teach in a country where public institution don't need you, you'll probably end up working at some sort of language center. (Private business as opposed to an actual school.) That usually entails a lot of frustrations, but it's not the worst thing if you enjoy teaching.

You don't always have to have EU citizenship to teach in an EU country. There are certain programs that actually seek out North Americans to teach English. For example, the TAPIF in France, or Meddeas in Spain. These aren't necessarily good options, as you probably won't have a full time job or great pay, but such options do exist. Eastern EU countries will generally be easier to get into as a North American, but the visa process and job opportunities can vary a lot country to country.

Just take a shot this time and commit if you truly want to try it, and go for something in the country you want to be in the most. Your first time teaching abroad won't be ideal anyway - use it as a stepping stone to better things.
Thank you for the advice.

Do most people who teach prefer a public institution or a private language center?

I was never a teacher so I don't know if I would enjoy teaching but I know it is one of the best ways for Americans to get a job abroad.
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on May 12th, 2019, 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Re: Best Certificate for Teaching English in Russia?

Post by xiongmao »

The CELTA is the best cert to get. I was so scared about doing it as I'm not that confident but it really did prepare me for life in the classroom. After passing the CELTA my first "real" class was to keep a class of 50 students entertained for 2 hours.

Now 2 years in and I don't get nervous before classes although sometimes my confidence gets knocked. Like last week all the kids were on their mobile phones and nobody was listening so I put the fear of god into them. Well that's natural in teaching.

The CELTA teaches you a very specific method, but it does work so don't ask questions on the course. Save your creativity and free thinking for making interesting lessons the students will enjoy.

I did enjoy the peer observation part of the CELTA and it's something I still try and do. It's kind of hard in China though because everyone is ultra nosy about what I'm doing. I can't even stand in the bank branch without the security guard trying to shuffle me out of the building.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.