Does anyone use TSA PreCheck? Is it worth it?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Light
Freshman Poster

Post by Light »

I don't know if I need to write anything in here but some websites require a post be a certain length and characters in this box. I will ask the questions again.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Does anyone use TSA PreCheck? Is it worth it?

Post by Contrarian Expatriate »

Only if you get it as a part of the Global Entry program. I use it about 4 times a year since most of my travels are outside the US. But it is nice to have a special line, and very cursory inspection by TSA with no removal of my laptop, belt, shoes, etc. The Global Entry is good when flying back into the USA because you, again, don't have to wait in long lines for the CBP Officer. You just approach a kiosk, swipe your passport, answer a few multiple choice questions, then hand the printout to the CBP officer as you leave the baggage area.

A better travel choice to purchase is Priority Club. I get mine free as an AMEX card perk, but it gives you unlimited visits to airport VIP Lounges all around the world. I use that about twice monthly and it is well worth it to have a place to lounge, use a workstation, use an exclusive and clean restroom, have a drink and some hor d'oeuvres, and even lock up my luggage for a stroll around the airport.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Global Entry seems to be the better of the two. I don't have it yet, but it seems like a good idea if you're intending on flying back to America (or flying to it?). I never heard of the Priority Club, does it have the other stuff that precheck & Global Entry have? Or is it just the lounges & luggage stuff?
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Wolfeye wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 1:40 am
Global Entry seems to be the better of the two. I don't have it yet, but it seems like a good idea if you're intending on flying back to America (or flying to it?). I never heard of the Priority Club, does it have the other stuff that precheck & Global Entry have? Or is it just the lounges & luggage stuff?
No, no.. Global Entry INCLUDES TSA PreCheck! I guess I did not make that very clear in my post. You can also purchase it separately but it is best to get it in the Global Entry product.

Priority Club is 100% airport VIP lounges, some of which include free baggage lockers.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

Thanks. Hey, when you see people go through an airport, what does their security look like? I hear all kinds of things from it varying from a pat down like people would get at concerts (no tit/ball/ass touching) to a full-on fondling.
Light
Freshman Poster

Post by Light »

Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 12:42 am
Only if you get it as a part of the Global Entry program. I use it about 4 times a year since most of my travels are outside the US. But it is nice to have a special line, and very cursory inspection by TSA with no removal of my laptop, belt, shoes, etc. The Global Entry is good when flying back into the USA because you, again, don't have to wait in long lines for the CBP Officer. You just approach a kiosk, swipe your passport, answer a few multiple choice questions, then hand the printout to the CBP officer as you leave the baggage area.

A better travel choice to purchase is Priority Club. I get mine free as an AMEX card perk, but it gives you unlimited visits to airport VIP Lounges all around the world. I use that about twice monthly and it is well worth it to have a place to lounge, use a workstation, use an exclusive and clean restroom, have a drink and some hor d'oeuvres, and even lock up my luggage for a stroll around the airport.
The last time I traveled, I didn't have Global Entry and a CBP Officer was telling people to go to a line and there I did the kiosk, swipe your passport, answer a few multiple choice questions. Then I retrieved my luggage and went to customs to be cleared to exit the airport.

What program is better for expats who would go a year, few years, or several years without returning to the United States?
Contrarian Expatriate
Elite Upper Class Poster

Light wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 8:17 pm
Contrarian Expatriate wrote:
July 27th, 2019, 12:42 am

The last time I traveled, I didn't have Global Entry and a CBP Officer was telling people to go to a line and there I did the kiosk, swipe your passport, answer a few multiple choice questions. Then I retrieved my luggage and went to customs to be cleared to exit the airport.

What program is better for expats who would go a year, few years, or several years without returning to the United States?
Global Entry is better because it includes TSA PreCheck. Whatever procedure the normal people do upon arrival, it is much easier for those with Global Entry.
CannedHam
Freshman Poster

Post by CannedHam »

Global entry is nice (and includes precheck) but it was kind of a hassle to get, and required scheduling an in person interview with a douchebag CBP officer a few weeks out. It also requires a spotless record - I believe something like 3-5% of global entry applications are denied even for things like very minor misdemeanors.

A coworker of mine got PreCheck by just walking into the TSA office before one of her flights. In and out in under 5 minutes.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Post by Wolfeye »

CannedHam: Really? How did that go?
MacDaddy
Freshman Poster

Post by MacDaddy »

The best thing to get is the free app mobile passport. It lets you use designated fast mobile passport lines. Global entry is a pain in the ass.