Ask Winston Q&A: Post questions for Winston here

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Phoenix Sosa wrote:Why did you move back to the Philippines if you say you did not like the weather and you were always sick?

How long have you been back in the Philippines?
Cause I miss Dianne and the easy sex to be had here. I don't plan to be here forever. Plus it's not that hot now. Plus my health is better and sometimes you don't appreciate something until it's not around. The PH has this harmonious vibe that isn't in the rest of Asia. Ladislav knows what I'm talking about. You gotta tune into it to really appreciate it.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Fenix
Junior Poster

Post by Fenix »

Winston, how come you won't go back to Lithuania? I thought you said that was you favorite country? What's stopping you from going back? I think I read it on HA homepage or on your Couch Surfing page, but I remember seeing you say Lithuania was your favorite. It just seems obvious you like European women more (I don't blame you).
Winston
Site Admin

Pros and Cons of Bellingham, WA

Post by Winston »

Boner_Jones wrote:Hi Winston... i was curious about something.. i know you said you were from Bellingham, WA... and you hated it but...what's it like anyway? Outside of the people of course. An ideal place to raise families? how does it rate income-wise? quality of life issues?
Bellingham has nice scenery. There is lots of green, beautiful scenic coastline, good food everywhere, and polite people. But people are very reserved and cliquish. It is very lonely there unless you have a clique of friends, and there aren't that many attractive girls there. It is infested with the Seattle Freeze too. To break into cliques there, you have to be dumb and fake it seems, and be into grunge concerts all the time and talk about stupid shit, and it takes time too, and you gotta be slow moving, prudish and non-creepy (which means you gotta pretend you don't have desires for girls in order to be normal).

You can see images of Bellingham, WA at http://images.google.com

Northwest people are a strange breed though. The typical Northwesterner is pale skinned, with a passive gaze, and transparent expression on their face. They look kind of zombied out and laid back, but in an "unnatural way", as if they're not "all there". It's hard to explain. But it's hard to find people who are truly socially engaging there.

It is an ok place to raise families. It has a typical suburban type atmosphere with privacy and middle class values. The Taiwanese family that rented our house there said that their kids never got picked on in school there, unlike I did in California, so I guess kids don't get bullied as much in WA (since people are so passive there) as they do in CA where kids are more aggressive and violent.

As for income, well there aren't that many jobs there, mostly retail and government jobs. But if you do get one, the income is ok. It's cheaper to live there than in California though.

The weather there is cold and cloudy most of the year, and the air is fresh and clean, but also feels cold and damp at the same time. Overall, it's a nice place to visit and hike in, but not to live long term unless you fit in well in that kind of environment. WA does have a lot of beautiful parks, mountains and forests to visit. It's great for nature, but the cold air makes it hard to stay outside for long.

Hope that answers your questions.

Why are you asking about that place? Do you plan to go there or stay there?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Why I Love Lithuania - Advantages over Russia

Post by Winston »

Phoenix Sosa wrote:Winston, how come you won't go back to Lithuania? I thought you said that was you favorite country? What's stopping you from going back? I think I read it on HA homepage or on your Couch Surfing page, but I remember seeing you say Lithuania was your favorite. It just seems obvious you like European women more (I don't blame you).
I would like to, but Europe is far away from here and I have my mind set on China and other parts of Asia right now. One can only do one thing at a time. I've been busy doing projects and work the past few years. Every time I'm done, something else comes up, like I mentioned in another thread.

When I first arrived in Lithuania from Russia, here is what I wrote about it to my mailing list, back in 2005:
Update: Vilnius is the best and has it all!!!

Dear all,
I really mean it with the title! Vilnius has it all! It's beautiful, the Old Town is large and colorful, and there's lots to do. The architecture of the buildings here is very European and enchanting too. And it's clean, safe, modernized, and Europeanized. I have no idea why some people in Riga, Latvia last year, including my own friend Vika, advised me not to go to Vilnius because they said it was dull and uninteresting. They were 100 percent wrong!!! Some here told me that the Latvians told me that because there is some conflict/competition between their two countries, others said they were probably just jealous.

The Old Town of Vilnius is huge and spread out, and much larger than Riga's small but beautiful Old Town. Another difference is that the colors of the Old Town here are mostly pastel, while Riga's is reddish and orange-ish.

But most important of all (and I hate to say this after my previous update), and totally unexpected, the girls here are so incredibly friendly! Much more than I imagined or expected! They are so easy to meet and approachable too. I was expecting them to be like in Latvia and Estonia, but they are far better. Girls in Latvia are friendly and approachable too, but they tend to be two-faced and don't follow through on plans when you call them. Estonian girls, though, are the least approachable and easy to meet of the three Baltic states, I think, probably because they are Finnish (related to Finland) and therefore more private and less open to strangers.

Anyway, I can't believe that the word isn't out about this yet. No one ever told me that Vilnius was such a great place for meeting girls, and I never read about it on the internet. The truth is, a lot of young attractive gorgeous girls look at me and wink here! Just about none are fat too! They are very easy to start a conversation with, and I've hung out with a couple so far.

What I've noticed is that even though they have similar looks compared to the Russian girls, including their dress style, their character is much better. They are not manipulative, greedy, or devious like many Russian women are. But in fact are passive, sweet, nice and civilized. Around them, you don't get the feeling that they may use you or manipulate you. They are more well behaved and nice. And when you approach them, they are communicative and look intrigued. Wow! No one ever told me it was like this here.

And another difference I've noticed between Lithuanian girls and Russian girls is that Lithuanian girls' hands and skin are softer and more smooth, and so they don't give the impression that they've had a hard rough life like the more coarse hands/skin that Russian girls have.

I love it here and don't even want to leave. Heck, I may even consider looking for work here. The bottom line here is that Lithuania has the benefits for single men that Russia has (i.e. it's friendly, approachable, beautiful, stylish, feminine, surplus supply of young single women), but without the risks of being in Russia, as Lithuanian people here are more polite, respectful, civilized, and the streets here are clean and safe. Everyone here has told me that the streets are totally safe for me to walk alone at night. Essentially, here you get the benefits of FSU women, but without the danger and risks!!!!! I wish someone had told me this before, or that I had known it before, cause then I could have just came here instead of going to Russia! Geez!

Since there's so many young single girls here that are easy to meet, I couldn't help but socialize and meet them a lot. Today, I met a gorgeous brunette in a vegetarian restaurant, who was sitting at the bar section of it talking to the bartender. When I approached her and introduced myself, she smiled and looked enthusiastic toward me. She had a totally soothing gentle voice too. After my meal, we took a walk, and then took a bus together to a gigantic mall complex called "Acropolis" where we saw a movie together, the new Phantom of the Opera. The music, singing, and dancing in it was incredible and romantic, but some of the storyline was a bit corny.

During the movie, when I wanted to hold her hand, she kept saying no, however, she said it in a flirtatious way so I knew that part of her was saying yes. So after a little more persistence, she reciprocated and let us hold hands. She said the movie was touching and one of the best she ever saw, and that her dream was to see the Phantom of the Opera at a famous theatre in Vienna, Austria (which is not even that far from here).

After the movie, we took the bus home, and when she got off at her stop. she gave me a short peck kiss. Then surprisingly, when she stepped off, she waved, looked at me from outside the window and then blew me a kiss! Wow, what a girl. It gave me butterflies in my stomach.

The only thing is, because of the unexpected meeting with her at the vegetarian restaurant, I had to cancel an appointment I had tonight with another young cutie girl I met earlier at a pastry stand on the street.

This is living man. It's great here! And many things here are relatively cheap too, and there are many cheap hostels to stay at. In fact, this one that I'm in now even has unlimited free internet access too! (something that would NEVER be possible in Russia!) And that's how I'm able to write this right now while all the other guests are asleep. lol

By the way, another factor that makes me interesting here is that when people here meet me, they find me very unusual and unique, because I 1) have an Asian face, 2) speak Russian to them (many here speak Russian), and 3) carry an American passport and speak with an American accent. So they are like "what the....?" since I have elements of three countries in me, and they aren't sure what to make of me, which is quite intriguing (as it was in Riga last year too).

The only unusual thing here is that when I stepped off the bus from Moscow, I met these two American Christian missionaries, Dean and Dale. They were very kind and warm, and helped me find my way. We teamed up and talked a lot too. But when they found out that I was an ex-Christian, oh boy did I ever regret telling them that, cause I got a preaching like you wouldn't believe. Now, since I am very well versed in the arguments of Christian Evangelists and all the counter arguments against them, I knew how to technically handle each of their points (see my article on my website entitled "Debunking the Best Arguments of Christian Fundamentalists and Evangelists"). However, these were genuinely nice, warm hearted, sincere people, and I enjoyed their presence very much, so I decided not to debate them too much, although I raised many challenging questions. Now, the interesting thing about this is that although I technically knew why I didn't believe in the extreme claims of their Gospel (which was believe in Jesus and surrender your life to him or else you'll go to hell, those are God's rules), and even though I had answers to all their arguments which I've heard all before, I was quite amazed and taken aback by their level of conviction in what they believe. I have never seen such a level of conviction before, not even in other Christians. It was like they were 1000 percent sure and confident that what they were preaching was the truth. It's hard to explain, but you'd have to be there and listen to them for hours to know what I mean. The thing is, even though I technically knew where they were wrong on many points, their level of conviction was so intense, deep-rooted, and radiated so much energy, that you could not help but constantly wonder if they could be right. I had never seen such a level of conviction before. It seemed inhuman, and you had to wonder if there was something divine about it.

Nevertheless, I enjoyed their company a lot, and even when we got lost, something brought us together, which of course they claim was the will of God since God wants me to return to being a Bible-believing Christian. We had lots of deep philosophical intellectual talks too. They were genuinely nice people, so I didn't mind their preaching anyway. Another thing interesting about them was that one of them had been living in Moscow for 11 years, and the other for 6 years. The one living for 11 years said that he would leave Russia but that he had a daughter living there, and his ex Russian wife wouldn't allow him to take her to America, so they have joint custody. The other just loved being in Russia and even pastors a church there.

The one with the daughter told me that I have to be very careful about marrying Russian women, because he's learned that they do not have a sense of commitment through thick and thin, and when they've gotten what they needed from you, they dump you right away without any guilt or remorse. It's just part of their nature and mentality, which he's learned from experience. In his case, his ex Russian wife also claimed to be a born again Christian and lived for Jesus too, otherwise he couldn't have married her. However, when they divorced, his ex-wife then revealed that she was never a Christian. What he's learned is that these Russian women are experts at telling you what you want to hear. And since his ex-wife was 19 when he met her, and my Russian girl that I want to bring to the states is 19 too, he warned me about the future consequences, citing that even though she may love you to death now and do everything for you, with her family treating you like one of their own too, as soon as she wants, she can turn everything around 100 percent, and her family will then be against you too. This reminded me of what another American told me before, that if a Russian woman loves you, she will protect you, take care of you, and do everything for you. But if she doesn't, watch out, because she will use all kinds of dirty tricks to scam you and steal your money.

Oh and by the way, those two missionaries were here in Vilnius to renew their one year visa in Russia. Unlike me, they had a one year visa called a cultural exchange visa, which I didn't even know existed since my travel agency didn't list it as one of its services. But they told me it isn't something that's easy to get.

Anyway, that's it for now. I hope you folks don't condemn me for flirting and socializing with girls here in Vilnius. After all, I gotta make the most of these opportunities, and you can never know what the future will bring anyway, so I may later on wish I had done something with the opportunity here. Like they say, you regret more the things you didn't do, than the things you did.

Regards from Vilnius, my favorite city in the world,
Winston
The next day, I wrote up this list.
10 advantages of Lithuania over Russia

Dear all,
After my update about why I love Vilnius yesterday, some of you wrote me asking for more information, so I’ve decided to make a list of things I’ve learned and discovered in regards to the advantages of Lithuania over Russia, to answer those questions for all who asked. Here the major advantages.

1. The streets are cleaner, more modern, and much safer. In fact, everyone I’ve met here has said that the streets are completely safe to walk at night. And the architecture and colors of the buildings are beautiful, enchanting, and European-like. The big area of Old Town feels like a gigantic doll house.

2. Girls here are beautiful, very friendly, approachable, and very easy to meet, even more so than the girls of the other two Baltic states, Latvia and Estonia. And they like to flirt too.

3. There are virtually no overweight girls here. And about 80 to 90 percent of them are attractive or good looking.

4. The women here tend to have the same beautiful appearance as the Russian women do, but without their cunning, manipulative, greedy, self-absorbed nature. Instead, they tend to be simple, sweet, good-natured, and polite. In addition, they have smooth silky skin and hands almost like Japanese girls do, rather than the coarseness of the skin and hands of Russian women, so they don't look like they've come from a hard life.

5. People here in general are polite, respectful and civilized. They don't bully or harass you with their power or size.

6. They also aren't constantly scheming to find ways to take your money or make you pay more and more against your will. They don't have that "taker mentality" that so many Russians have. And the girls don't ask you to buy them things or spend money on them.

7. The police here don't stop and harass you just because you're Asian. Nor do they stop and harass you just because they feel like it without any good reason. Unlike Russia, people have rights here.

8. The food here is much much way better than in Russia, and is of European quality. Food here is tasty, fresh, and sophisticated. Rather than give you tasteless plain rice or bread like Russian cafes do, they actually cook or fry it. For example, with bread, they will put garlic butter on the bread, or fry it in garlic oil, or use ingredients in the dough that have flavor. And there are much more choices for vegetarians too.

9. Westerners that come here do not need to get a visa. And if they want to stay long term, they only need to leave the country every 3 months, which they can do so by just taking a bus a few hours to cross the border of another Baltic state and then coming back.

10. Many things are relatively inexpensive here, and for the Westerner who wants to stay for a long time, I was told by a girl I had a drink with the other night, that you can rent a flat here for about 200 dollars a month, or just a room for about 100 dollars a month.

Therefore, in conclusion, with Lithuania, you get a lot of the benefits that Russia and its women offer (e.g. friendly approachable women, beautiful culture) but without the bad qualities of Russia (e.g. its risks, dangers, problems, deficiencies, chaos, corruption, and conniving bad character of a large percentage of people).

Anyone who wants more information can look it up online. And those who want to see photos of Vilnius (they've emailed me for them!) can find them online as well through search engines.

By the way, one more interesting thing to note. To get cell phone service here for your GSM cell phone, it only costs less than two dollars and takes about 10 seconds! All you do is go to a newspaper kiosk on any populated street, pay 4 Lits (less than two dollars) for a new SIM card package, take it and go, and whoila, you've got cell phone service and your own number where you can make and receive calls and text messages! Contrast that to America where you have to sign contracts and documents, get a credit/background check, commit to one or two years of service, etc. to get cell phone service!

And when you need to add more minutes, you just bring the charge up card contained in the package to any kiosk or store, pay however much you want to add (it's up to you) and then they slide it through a computer and the minutes are instantaneously added to your account! It couldn't be simpler. Boy they are way ahead of us in that area!

Winston
You can download my trip journals here:

http://www.happierabroad.com/RussiaJournals2004.doc

I ought to put up videos of the girls I met in Lithuania.
Last edited by Winston on October 7th, 2012, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kapinga626
Freshman Poster

Post by Kapinga626 »

Hey Winston , I hope all is well with you .
Thank you for such an interesting & informative website . It is much appreciated .
I'm sending a care package via LBC to my two nieces in Zambales province . I've been doing this occasionally for years now , however I've never tried sending food . I'd like to send them some canned goods like ham , tuna or corned beef .
Do Filipinos generally like these things ?
There are a few reasons that I don't just ask them by phone . (1) Their English is really not that good . Our phone conversations are dominated by endless giggling , and shy pauses (2) my hearing is shot . I wear government issued hearing aids (3) I want to surprise them .
They are very poor , so when I send them things , I try to be very practical . I don't want them to sell things off because they can't use / eat it .
If you can give me some ideas of what foods I could send that they might not otherwise have access to , I'd really appreciate it .
Thanks in advance . Take care & be good to yourself .
" I rang'd the world , I cross'd the seas,
in hopes my restless breast to ease,
By pleasures yet unknown :

To all amusements I have run ,
that's found beneath the daily sun;
Till weary I have grown . "

- Samuel Patterson a poor , lowly sailor circa 1800's
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote:
Phoenix Sosa wrote:How come you never considered Thailand?
I've considered it, especially since Mr S told me it was much more exciting there. Just haven't gotten around to going there yet. That's all. I haven't even traveled around the Philippines yet. Trying to do too many things at once. Plus I kind of have a fever for Chinese girls now :). Mr S tells me there are girls of all nationalities in Thailand though.
Why don't you make plans to check it out?
About 14% (7 million) of Thailand's population is ethnic Chinese. By law most of them have adopted Thai names, so they're not as obvious.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

momopi wrote:
Winston wrote:
Phoenix Sosa wrote:How come you never considered Thailand?
I've considered it, especially since Mr S told me it was much more exciting there. Just haven't gotten around to going there yet. That's all. I haven't even traveled around the Philippines yet. Trying to do too many things at once. Plus I kind of have a fever for Chinese girls now :). Mr S tells me there are girls of all nationalities in Thailand though.
Why don't you make plans to check it out?
About 14% (7 million) of Thailand's population is ethnic Chinese. By law most of them have adopted Thai names, so they're not as obvious.
I believe the Thai surnames of Thai Chinese are often distinct in some way, kind of like Jewish American surnames in the States. I used to know a Farang there (Uni adjarn) who could look at a roster of names and generally pick-out the Thai Chinese ones. I'm sure Repatriate knows for sure how true this is.

Thailand is an interesting place cus you see brown skinned locals and yellow skinned locals, especially in Bangkok. Last year, my gf got sick late in evening so I took her to Lerdsin Hospital ER next door. Outside the hospital and along the street, there were groups of Thai men waiting for tuk-tuk fares, all dark skinned. But as soon as you walked into the hospital, all the doctors and most of the nurses had yellow skin and pretty much looked Chinese.

I think lot of the Thai Chinese in Bangkok can be standoffish to strangers and fancy themselves as some version of higher-so. They also tend to speak good English which of course is a plus. Many speak Mandarin too. But some Thai Chinese I've seen both in Bangkok and outside are from more modest backgrounds and tend to be more down-to-earth. One of my local brokers in Taiwan married a very friendly Thai Chinese somewhere from northern Thailand. She's opened a great Thai restaurant here with minimal capital which is doing great business now.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Rock wrote: I think lot of the Thai Chinese in Bangkok can be standoffish to strangers and fancy themselves as some version of higher-so. They also tend to speak good English which of course is a plus. Many speak Mandarin too. But some Thai Chinese I've seen both in Bangkok and outside are from more modest backgrounds and tend to be more down-to-earth. One of my local brokers in Taiwan married a very friendly Thai Chinese somewhere from northern Thailand. She's opened a great Thai restaurant here with minimal capital which is doing great business now.
Is the restaurant in Taipei? If so let me know where it is, I'll go try it out later this year.

My 3rd GF in college was ethnic Chinese from Thailand. She was "hi-so" and high-maintenance. Fortunately she picked up the tab at expensive places. ;p
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

momopi wrote:
Rock wrote: I think lot of the Thai Chinese in Bangkok can be standoffish to strangers and fancy themselves as some version of higher-so. They also tend to speak good English which of course is a plus. Many speak Mandarin too. But some Thai Chinese I've seen both in Bangkok and outside are from more modest backgrounds and tend to be more down-to-earth. One of my local brokers in Taiwan married a very friendly Thai Chinese somewhere from northern Thailand. She's opened a great Thai restaurant here with minimal capital which is doing great business now.
Is the restaurant in Taipei? If so let me know where it is, I'll go try it out later this year.

My 3rd GF in college was ethnic Chinese from Thailand. She was "hi-so" and high-maintenance. Fortunately she picked up the tab at expensive places. ;p
Yes. Like I wrote, it was opened with minimal capital. So its small. But its done very well and she expanded it last year by renting an adjacent lot.

Here's the name and address:
原味屋
台北市合江街17巷6-1號

And here's a blog entry with some photos of popular dishes there:
http://silence4017.pixnet.net/blog/post/22271185
Repatriate
Veteran Poster

Post by Repatriate »

Rock wrote: I believe the Thai surnames of Thai Chinese are often distinct in some way, kind of like Jewish American surnames in the States. I used to know a Farang there (Uni adjarn) who could look at a roster of names and generally pick-out the Thai Chinese ones. I'm sure Repatriate knows for sure how true this is.
Yep it's true, some of them are more thai-ified than others and some of them are only a quarter or so Chinese without the distinct surname. There are historical reasons for the name change some of them got bestowed royal titles (like Abbhisit's family) or they were forced to change it due to anti-chinese policies back around the 18-19th century or so. Thais were generally reasonable about this and still are..as long as you speak their language and adapt their culture they treat you pretty well. Obvious european looking foreigners have other sets of issues to contend with but it's very easy for asians to totally integrate into this society.
Thailand is an interesting place cus you see brown skinned locals and yellow skinned locals, especially in Bangkok. Last year, my gf got sick late in evening so I took her to Lerdsin Hospital ER next door. Outside the hospital and along the street, there were groups of Thai men waiting for tuk-tuk fares, all dark skinned. But as soon as you walked into the hospital, all the doctors and most of the nurses had yellow skin and pretty much looked Chinese.
If you want a distinct example of a Thai-Chinese guy just look at Abbhisit who is/was the PM. He has that Chinese-Thai look and most of them look like that. I get mistaken as Thai-Chinese often and generally get treated with respect because of it. I haven't noticed any particularly strong resentment from this fact. Thai-Chinese are just a ubiquitous part of Thai society now. It's pretty much inseparable.
I think lot of the Thai Chinese in Bangkok can be standoffish to strangers and fancy themselves as some version of higher-so. They also tend to speak good English which of course is a plus. Many speak Mandarin too.
Very few speak mandarin Chinese actually, if you look back a generation than Teochew is the lingua-franca of the Chinese diaspora here. Thai-Chinese are definitely snobby but that's because they worked their way up to the very top of the society here and literally control it now. This coming from being considered poor immigrants themselves who were at one point in history actively despised at various times.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Repatriate wrote:
Rock wrote: I believe the Thai surnames of Thai Chinese are often distinct in some way, kind of like Jewish American surnames in the States. I used to know a Farang there (Uni adjarn) who could look at a roster of names and generally pick-out the Thai Chinese ones. I'm sure Repatriate knows for sure how true this is.
Yep it's true, some of them are more thai-ified than others and some of them are only a quarter or so Chinese without the distinct surname. There are historical reasons for the name change some of them got bestowed royal titles (like Abbhisit's family) or they were forced to change it due to anti-chinese policies back around the 18-19th century or so. Thais were generally reasonable about this and still are..as long as you speak their language and adapt their culture they treat you pretty well. Obvious european looking foreigners have other sets of issues to contend with but it's very easy for asians to totally integrate into this society.
If you want a distinct example of a Thai-Chinese guy just look at Abbhisit who is/was the PM. He has that Chinese-Thai look and most of them look like that. I get mistaken as Thai-Chinese often and generally get treated with respect because of it. I haven't noticed any particularly strong resentment from this fact. Thai-Chinese are just a ubiquitous part of Thai society now. It's pretty much inseparable.
I think lot of the Thai Chinese in Bangkok can be standoffish to strangers and fancy themselves as some version of higher-so. They also tend to speak good English which of course is a plus. Many speak Mandarin too.
Very few speak mandarin Chinese actually, if you look back a generation than Teochew is the lingua-franca of the Chinese diaspora here. Thai-Chinese are definitely snobby but that's because they worked their way up to the very top of the society here and literally control it now. This coming from being considered poor immigrants themselves who were at one point in history actively despised at various times.
1. Isn’t Thaksin Shinawatra also at least half Chinese? I remember reading that his ancestors took on the name Shinawatra as a result of an anti-Chinese sentiment back in the 1930s.

2. It seems like Chinese have integrated more effectively into Thailand than any other SE Asian nation with the exception of Singapore.

3. I realize that the majority of Thai Chinese come from a non-Mandarin background. But isn’t Mandarin becoming popular with many younger local Chinese as well as other Thais with the emergence of China, kind of like it has in Hong Kong with the Canto speakers? I mean, I do sometimes small groups of Thai Chinese in public areas speaking to each other in Mandarin. I’ve noticed quite a few Mandarin schools and programs in Bangkok over the last few years. I think they all use Pinyin to teach pronunciation so the instructors tend to be from China instead of Taiwan. Also, I’ve noticed that some of the older generation speak at least functional Mandarin. For example, in several of the hardware and food shops on New Charoen Krung near Silom where I sometimes stay, I’ve discovered that I can communicate with a few of the shop keepers in Mandarin.

4. “Letters from Thailand� is a great true life illustration of the Chinese immigrant to Thailand rags-to-riches story, available in Thai, Chinese, and English plus some other languages. I believe at one time, the book was actually required reading in some of the Thai schools too.
swincor
Freshman Poster

Bring back the bashing forum

Post by swincor »

I was wrong. You never should have taken down the old bashing forum.

Your forum is boring is hell, what with all these topics about how American women suck. Like no f***ing shit, Sherlock. What else is new.

Seriously, Winston. Put it up again and invite all your old friends back: Dave Fuller, Chemist, Dr. Strangelove, Brad Sharpe, Stefan, etc.

Sometimes you need to revive old methods to reinvigorate your current state.
CheezeRaider
Freshman Poster

Re: Bring back the bashing forum

Post by CheezeRaider »

swincor__ wrote:I was wrong. You never should have taken down the old bashing forum.

Your forum is boring is hell, what with all these topics about how American women suck. Like no f***ing shit, Sherlock. What else is new.

Seriously, Winston. Put it up again and invite all your old friends back: Dave Fuller, Chemist, Dr. Strangelove, Brad Sharpe, Stefan, etc.

I second that. and 3rd it while I'm at it. :D
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Bring back the bashing forum

Post by Winston »

swincor__ wrote:I was wrong. You never should have taken down the old bashing forum.

That is f***ing insane. You just lost all credibility by saying that (not that you had any to begin with). If you want to see garbage bashing like that, then go join their wooweasel yahoo group. Don't come here.

Why should I welcome trashy bashing and lies? For what logical reason? You aren't making any logical sense.

If you can't appreciate the quality content here, then that's your problem. Stop posting here.

eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 23rd, 2013, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.