Nasty health problems in the Philippines - What to do?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Winston
Site Admin

Nasty health problems in the Philippines - What to do?

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
During the past few weeks, I've had pink eye in both eyes for two weeks (which is known here as "sore eyes"). The eye doctor said that the pink eye virus is stronger here than in the US, and longer lasting too. Oh great. I can't even look at the computer screen without discomfort and blurry vision.

And I'm always drowsy all day and night, even after a full 8 hours of sleep. It's terrible. I can't get anything done or concentrate. All I can do is waste time while I'm groggy and the time flies by, leaving me feeling guilty. As a type A personality that annoys me more than others.

Now I don't know about you, but any environment or atmosphere where you are forced to use airconditioning EVERY frickin day due to the neverending heat and humidity, is NOT natural or healthy for you. Even though I've been here for three years, I've NEVER gotten used to it. The weathere is absolutely horrible. I can't even exercise or play tennis in this heat, or even practice karate in my home. I can't breathe or think in it.

How the hell do all the other expats tolerate it with no problem?!

Obviously, with the humid and unsanitary air here, all kinds of viruses, bacteria and diseases must flourish in the air around us in the PH. This leads to lots of health problems. Do any of you suffer from it too?

I still bang my head everyday here wondering how all the people, including expats here, can tolerate this constant everlasting heat and humidity EVERYDAY of the year?! It's nasty and a lot of suffering to deal with.

And again, to be forced to have aircon on EVERYDAY is not healthy to your sleep or to your health. It's hard to sleep peacefully with aircon running in your room. It messes up your breathing too. And it jacks up your utility bill in the thousands!

Terrible! Awful!

In addition to the constant drowsiness, I also find it hard to think, as though something here were jamming my thoughts. As a writer, I'm especially sensitive to that. Maybe it's something in the energy vortex here or due to the collective consciousness and vibe of the people around me who do not think? But I definitely find it hard to think clearly and remember things and concentrate. Plus I get distracted easily too.

Anyhow, I do not think I fit in here long term. My body wilts in this climate. And plus I do not like the mentality here. People here take advantage of me or obligate me to be generous to them AGAINST my will. For me, that is a constant battle of wills that leaves me drained and boils my blood. And it's extremely annoying too! So I do not like the mentality of people here. Plus I am appalled at the complete lack of shame that people here have when they take advantage of you or leech off you. There is no guilt in them at all. It horrifies me, and seems almost sociopathic. Thus I don't think I fit into this culture either, in addition to the nasty weather.

I think the PH is fun for short term stays, girls and cheap hotels. But long term it leads to bad health consequences, and it does not feel good to your soul as it's not an environment conducive to spirituality or peace of mind. Too many unsanitary conditions and annoying people and BS.

Therefore, maybe it's better I live somewhere else in Asia that is cleaner and come here just for vacations, rather than live here constantly and suffer like this.

What do you think?
Last edited by Winston on May 4th, 2011, 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
dano
Freshman Poster

Post by dano »

I had the same problem with the climate when I lived in China. I lost so much weight do to excess sweating that I had to eat at McDonalds just to keep weight on. I ended up losing 20 lbs. but if I would have just eaten chinese food I would have lost 40 lbs. When you sweat to much you lose all your electrolytes and then you become dehydrated. Just drink juice or gatorade when your outside walking around, it should help.

The climate in Baguio, Luzon is supposed to much better for foreigners. The elevation is 5,000 feet and temperature is supposed to be around 20 C (72 F) most of the year.
Nate
Freshman Poster

Re: Nasty health problems in the PH - What should I do?

Post by Nate »

Winston wrote:Hi all,
During the past few weeks, I've had pink eye in both eyes for two weeks (which is known here as "sore eyes"). The eye doctor said that the pink eye virus is stronger here than in the US, and longer lasting too. Oh great. I can't even look at the computer screen without discomfort and blurry vision.

And I'm always drowsy all day and night, even after a full 8 hours of sleep. It's terrible. I can't get anything done or concentrate. All I can do is waste time while I'm groggy and the time flies by, leaving me feeling guilty. As a type A personality that annoys me more than others.

Now I don't know about you, but any environment or atmosphere where you are forced to use airconditioning EVERY frickin day due to the neverending heat and humidity, is NOT natural or healthy for you. Even though I've been here for three years, I've NEVER gotten used to it. The weathere is absolutely horrible. I can't even exercise or play tennis in this heat, or even practice karate in my home. I can't breathe or think in it.

How the hell do all the other expats tolerate it with no problem?!

Obviously, with the humid and unsanitary air here, all kinds of viruses, bacteria and diseases must flourish in the air around us in the PH. This leads to lots of health problems. Do any of you suffer from it too?

I still bang my head everyday here wondering how all the people, including expats here, can tolerate this constant everlasting heat and humidity EVERYDAY of the year?! It's nasty and a lot of suffering to deal with.

And again, to be forced to have aircon on EVERYDAY is not healthy to your sleep or to your health. It's hard to sleep peacefully with aircon running in your room. It messes up your breathing too. And it jacks up your utility bill in the thousands!

Terrible! Awful!

In addition to the constant drowsiness, I also find it hard to think, as though something here were jamming my thoughts. As a writer, I'm especially sensitive to that. Maybe it's something in the energy vortex here or due to the collective consciousness and vibe of the people around me who do not think? But I definitely find it hard to think clearly and remember things and concentrate. Plus I get distracted easily too.

Anyhow, I do not think I fit in here long term. My body wilts in this climate. And plus I do not like the mentality here. People here take advantage of me or obligate me to be generous to them AGAINST my will. For me, that is a constant battle of wills that leaves me drained and boils my blood. And it's extremely annoying too! So I do not like the mentality of people here. Plus I am appalled at the complete lack of shame that people here have when they take advantage of you or leech off you. There is no guilt in them at all. It horrifies me, and seems almost sociopathic. Thus I don't think I fit into this culture either, in addition to the nasty weather.

I think the PH is fun for short term stays, girls and cheap hotels. But long term it leads to bad health consequences, and it does not feel good to your soul as it's not an environment conducive to spirituality or peace of mind. Too many unsanitary conditions and annoying people and BS.

Therefore, maybe it's better I live somewhere else in Asia that is cleaner and come here just for vacations, rather than live here constantly and suffer like this.

What do you think?

Sounds like you are bummed out..with reason. Have you ever considered another part of the Philippines. In general, metro Manila is a hell-hole as far as I am concerned...I would not live there on a bet, and Angeles City is a pit. Of course in that environment you are more inclined to some infections. It is a wonder that you have not already gotten nailed with an MRSA infection. Furthermore, people assume if they practice "safe sex" with prostitutes, that they will be ok. Well there are a whole host of infections that are not directly transmitted through sex are still highly associated with hookers, including MRSA and many others. They are simple a high risk group and hanging with them has it's perils(including pinkeye) some of them deadly.
Consider Baguio for example...much better weather than Manila...even some of the provincial capital cities of the south such as Cagayan De Oro or Tagbilaran City (My area) have better weather and it is certainly cleaner. Cebu though is turning into Little Manila (Little shit-hole) and is over-run with Koreans...I dont much care for it at this point...though it has some OK areas.
And the question might be, beyond the sex, why are you in the Philippines? Any reason? If not, you may be running into the reality that you are here for taking advantage of what the girls have to offer, and not much else. If some Filipinos sense that...it kind of puts things at the lowest common denominator...why shouldn't they tax you when they can they might figure...
it's worth a thought...but yes, there are a lot of problems at any rate, but if you are not engaged with things bigger than yourself, you will not likely be happy anywhere for long. Have you checked out other areas of the Philippines???
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

I live in China and I am losing weight due to the food. Not an issue yet but if I reach 205 pounds I need to level off.

There are places in the mountains, like Baguio, all over Asia where you can get into the hills and cool off year round.

Make sure to clean your Aircon filter often like once a week. Spray it with Lysol disinfectant. Use antiseptic and antibacterial soaps and hand sanitizer. Do not touch your face. Keep away from the bars for a while.

People can tell guys who go to bars. Mongers can be body language read at 50 meters and locals can pick up on the vibe instantly.

So, yes, they are going to charge you big bucks and act dishonorably because you are acting dishonorably and they can tell what you do in your spare time.

In Asia it really is a case of Karma and everywhere you go, there you are.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Regarding people obligating you to things, I guess you will just have to be mean to them and set limits. How does Ladislav deal with it?

When I used to read the Brazil section of the international sex guide, this was one of the major complaints of the Brazilians who moved to the US, and of US expats in Brazil. Of course it is probably true nearly everywhere outside of N.America and Western Europe.

When you are American everyone wants to rip you off, or they expect free things from you. They think you are rich.

It also doesnt help when you go to a country where you have a different racial phenotype (I dont know if this is the case for you, but it is in some places for me). You are taller, heavier, etc. They know you are a Gringo by taking one look.

Also you got to watch out for the scammers on the street in major cities who want to be your friend. Whenever I would travel, if I was nice to some random person, it would be like picking up a stray dog. From then on they'd just follow you and beg, beg beg. Forget that. I learned my lesson.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

J.Adama wrote:Regarding people obligating you to things, I guess you will just have to be mean to them and set limits. How does Ladislav deal with it?

When I used to read the Brazil section of the international sex guide, this was one of the major complaints of the Brazilians who moved to the US, and of US expats in Brazil. Of course it is probably true nearly everywhere outside of N.America and Western Europe.

When you are American everyone wants to rip you off, or they expect free things from you. They think you are rich.

It also doesnt help when you go to a country where you have a different racial phenotype (I dont know if this is the case for you, but it is in some places for me). You are taller, heavier, etc. They know you are a Gringo by taking one look.

Also you got to watch out for the scammers on the street in major cities who want to be your friend. Whenever I would travel, if I was nice to some random person, it would be like picking up a stray dog. From then on they'd just follow you and beg, beg beg. Forget that. I learned my lesson.
I have never had this problem. Not in Mexico, not in China, not in Colombia. People do not try to glom on to me and I believe that is because I radiate "Don't f**k with me I am smarter than you and I have seen it all." Scammers don't approach me, beggars get the cold shoulder, and psychotic troublemakers are ignored and if they push the matter I inform them with body language that this encounter will end poorly for them (had to do this today as I ate noodles, btw. I knew the guy was trouble the second I saw him. It took the locals 5 minutes to figure out that he was nuts. Some abilities transcend language and culture.). People don't try to borrow money from me because they know I won't lend them the money.

Yes they know I am a Gringo with one look, but they also can tell with one look that I am an experienced, world wise, street smart, don't take shit from anyone, Gringo.

Thus they leave me alone because I am not an easy Mark.

These scams are the same all over the planet. In a way it is beautiful - these same ideas pop up transcending culture.

3-card Monty Games, for one.
Stupid and blatantly obvious street hustles for another.
Quick change artists.

It's all the same.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

J.Adama wrote:Regarding people obligating you to things, I guess you will just have to be mean to them and set limits. How does Ladislav deal with it?

Please explain what you mean by:

" this was one of the major complaints of the Brazilians who moved to the US..."

What do you mean?

1) That Brasilians were thought of as rich in the USA?
2) That Brasilians were asked to give people money in the USA?
3) That Brasilians were scammed by people in the USA?
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

You can find a much better climate in Latin America. Where I live in Baja California Mexico, it is almost ideal weather and I still need a small heater for the mornings. You can also go to Bogota, Colombia which is high in the mountains with mild weather all year round.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
Boy a lot of questions. I'll try to remember them all as I type this, cause my vision is blurry while I'm typing this and so I have to do it quickly.

I am not treated any differently from other foreigners here. In fact, I am treated better cause I have a kind face and cause I'm an asian foreigner. The kind look on my face makes others act kindly toward me. And their greed is directed more at whites than at me.

But that's not the point. It isn't about me. It's the general attitude that I see, even as a third person. There is still a "take advantage" mentality and a shameless taking.

The reason Ladislav can tolerate it is because 1) he grew up in a poor town in Eastern Europe and is used to the ways of low class people (whereas I grew up in the upper middle class suburbs of Silicon Valley), 2) he has only been here for a few months and hasn't endured this environment long term yet (in the past he only came here on short visits anyway).

No, I am not here for any other reason other than the bars, girls, Dianne and cause I have an apartment. Other than the bars and girls here, I see no reason to be here, as in every other category, the points are negative.

I've only been to a few cities in Luzon. I have been to Baguio and I like it. It's much cooler there. But housing is more expensive and Ladislav says it's inconvenient to go anywhere from there. So yes that is a consideration. I have not been to southern PH yet. I have not really traveled in 3 years. Been too tired, lazy and complacent here.

I hope my pink eye problem isn't anything more serious, but it's been with me an awful long time, longer than I've ever had pink eye before.

I only go to the bars once a month, or twice, so I'm not really a bar monger, nor can I afford to be one anyway.

Plus there is an extreme heat wave right now. Even Dianne is suffering from the weather here, even though she grew up here. The heat is extreme. It's like Tucson, AZ in the summer added with humidity. Ick. It makes you feel faint and it feels life threatening as well. I don't know how anyone could live here, including locals and expats. Usually a heat wave is for several days, like it is in California, but here it's like 365 days a year! Frickin ridiculous!
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

Hey Winston,

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Have you ever thought about moving up to Baguio? Weather is much cooler up there. If you have any lingering health issues, I'd take a quick trip over to Thailand. I trust the doctors there more than the ones in Phils.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Could my constant fatigue be a symptom of early diabetes type 2?

http://www.diabetessymptomsonline.com/d ... atigue.htm

The thing is, the only other diabetes related symptom I have from that list is frequent urination. I do urinate a lot more than most, but not everyday, only some days, and not always after I drink a lot either. Is it normal for some people to urinate a lot?

I'm going to start swimming more often and exercising and see if the fatigue goes away after that. I guess that's the first step in the process of elimination.

Sorry to bother you all with these health problems. But after a while, you get more concerned about them, you know.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here are some interesting suggestions from Terrence. I'm sure he won't mind me posting it.
First, there is an unnatural heat wave going on in the Philippines right now. Fish are dying in the sea, water is soon to be short, brown outs are more frequent than ever. It is almost 10 DEGREES hotter than it should be right now and it's going to get hotter in the coming days.

As for how foreigners deal with the heat. When I was in the Philippines, I learned that aircon IS the problem. The locals don't have it, so they don't use it. After two months of Aircon (and Cebu is usually 1 degree hotter than Luzon) and walking outside and sweating to death, I decided to STOP using it. Just use fans. After than I could go outside without any major problems. Also you should go outside more often. NOT NOW obviously, but when you were adapting tot he climate it would have been good.

Then I went to Korea where it was ZERO degree cold and forgot about it. ;)

T

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

Have you cleaned your air conditioner?

Does the air con unit use a filter?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hi all,
I'm in Taiwan now. It's nice and cold and dry here. It's great to finally be away from the extreme heat and humidity of the Philippines. I definitely feel better and more normally health-wise here. I can breathe normally again and I don't feel as drowsy. Not sure if the heat and humidity in the PH was the cause of that, but it made it worse at least.

My eyes are still red and vision is blurry a lot, but sometimes it gets better and then worse again. I hope that clears up soon and that whatever infection I have will die out quicker in the cold. It's been like this for two and a half weeks now. We will see the eye doctor here.

Obviously what this means is that I probably should not live in the PH long term. Visiting short term is ok, but living there is very bad for my health. My body even tells me that. It hates the year round humidity and heat and dirty air.

Now the obvious question might be: But you lived in Angeles for three years now. Why are you only having problems with the heat and humidity now?

Well I can only speculate and say that as we get older, sometimes our body gets more sensitive and fragile and our resistance becomes less. Especially if we're not in shape. But honestly, I never liked extreme heat and humidity combined, even when I first arrived in the PH. I guess I tolerated it for all the benefits and girls and flirting and sex. But eventually it takes a toll on you if you're not naturally suited for it.

I still don't get though, how so many expats here can say that they are used to the heat and humidity. That's insane. It's like me taking a whip and bruising your back every day of the year, and you saying that you're used to it so it doesn't bother you. That's crazy.

Didn't the Greeks and Chinese say that moderation was the key to harmony? Well the heat in the Philippines is not moderate at all. It is EXTREME, and ALL YEAR too! You never get a f***ing break from it! Extremity in anything is never a good thing, according to holistic wisdom. Imagine the heat of Tucson, AZ in the Summer, and combine that with the humidity of Florida, and have that be a CONSTANT all year with no f***ing break from it! How would you like that? That's frickin insane! It's torturous! But that's the weather in the Phlippines. How can anyone be used to that? It's hell!

Momopi, any explanation? How can anyone get used to something so extreme and damaging to your health?

I mean, even if you go into a mall with aircon or stay home with aircon, the heat and humidity outside are always looming over you. You can't avoid it when you go outside again. Who wants that?

Why am I the only normal person everywhere I go?!

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

momopi wrote:Have you cleaned your air conditioner?

Does the air con unit use a filter?
Well I take the filter and shake off the dust, and then it works again. But I don't clean the filter with soap and water. The store clerk said I didn't need to. Was he right? How else can I clean it?

Btw, my blood pressure is high again. The new ace inhibitor medicine may not be working. Perhaps the high blood pressure is the cause of my constant drowsiness?

The eye doctor in angeles also said that you can get STD's that cause trachoma or eye infections. Anyone know what that might be? Isn't is chlymadia trachomitis?