If I move abroad, how do I find a job?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
aozora13
Freshman Poster

Post by aozora13 »

Does anyone have advice for anyone with IT degrees and IT certifications to find work abroad. I tried through AIESEC (student-run organization to work in Europe but the job wasn't what I wanted to do so I had to return home). Currently, I am thinking what else I can do to work in Europe/Asia.

Also since I am non-white, it must be hard for me to find work. I was wondering if it is difficult to go to a city to provide IT service for English speakers in the area? I am just thinking that unless there is freelance work, or proof reading for English documents, I cannot or do not think I can teach English.

I have a degree in Information Systems and IT certs but I need a little advice on what I can do.
Christianfilipinacom
Freshman Poster

Post by Christianfilipinacom »

We hire people for these types of skills from odesk.com. There are many other similar payment and reputation management sites out there as well.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: If I move abroad, how do I find a job?

Post by Jester »

Linc4Love wrote:It's easy to say MOVE, but of you don't find work that can provide a steady income and an acceptable quality of living, it's easier said than done.

I think it would be harder in my case because the job demands appear to in linguistics. because I'm deaf learning a second language is extremely difficult. I have a hard enough time with English as it is. :D Barring that, what other job possibilities abroad could I explore? I have a bachelors and associates degree and worked ten years as a government civilian, but other than that my resume is pretty thin.
Seems like the obvious answer would be working for the U.S. government, either in AID-type work in a consulate, or with USDA, or with State Department.

I would register for the Civil Service exam, and also for the Foreign Service exam. Once you qualify on one or both of those, then you can start a serious job-hunt. You may even be able to get a politician or bureaucrat you know to call and set up an interview for you, once you have passed an exam and are thus eligible.

PS Keep in mind I am decades out of date on those things, but both are worth a quick google if you haven't done so.