where would be the best countries for TEFL jobs?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
mattyman
Junior Poster

where would be the best countries for TEFL jobs?

Post by mattyman »

Hello, I was just how viable it is in todays economic climate to fund your travels by teaching english. I have recently applied to a Cambridge CELTA course and am awaiting interview for a course starting in february. I am a bit worried though since most of the EU is now infected with austerity fever. Will the job market be badly affected? Am I better off looking outside Europe? Are there likely to be many part-time positions? Do all TEFL jobs require the CELTA?

If anyone has some advice or wants to share their experience on this matter I would be happy to hear.
djfourmoney
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by djfourmoney »

According a forum member on ISG its still China and South America.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

The safest deal is this: you get a BA and a DELTA/CELTA/TEFL certificate. Then you go to China/Korea for one year. Then you can go and teach in Taiwan or Japan. After that you can get a job in Saudi or Oman or Kuwait. These would now be paying much better money and you can make a career out of it. Europe and S. America would also be OK but these do not pay much and in the EU they prefer Brits. Ukraine has ESL jobs but they pay some $800-1200 per month.
Korea and China are the bootcamps of ESL.

You may wish to go to http://www.eslcafe.com forums and ask there.

They also have China and Korea jobs boards.

http://www.rong-chang.com ( go to ESL Jobs link) has oodles of jobs in China and Korea.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
wuxi
Freshman Poster

Post by wuxi »

China is the easiest country to get a job teaching english, you can save about $500 a month on average. Korea also has large demand for teachers, you can save about $1000 a month but the working conditions are often difficult.
Enishi
Freshman Poster

Post by Enishi »

Great thread guys. :)

Part of me just wants to say "f**k it all!" get the CELTA and fly immediately out to the Philippines or SA for a couple months, but of course I know that just isn't going to work.

It is frustrating though. It will soon be 4 months since I spent time with my russian ladyfriend and the sexual wasteland of the USA get's quite nerve racking after awhile, lol.
itoi
Freshman Poster

Post by itoi »

Hey there Matty,

That’s great that you are thinking about travelling abroad to teach. The answer to your question is yes, there are still plenty of opportunities to teach in Europe but also all over the world. Depending what country you teach in, prices can vary with the inflation rates and cost of living to that particular area of the world.
Not all jobs require a CELTA. Many who take a CELTA course find it to be a very intense course and even though it’s considered the best teaching English as a Foreign Language course, it’s for people who desire are a stronger, in-depth grasp of teaching or are planning to chose teaching for there career. TEFL courses on the other hand are cheaper and are just as recognized. They are more suited for someone who is planning to teach abroad for the first time and would like the confidence and skills to do so.

If it’s something you are interested in, here is a free copy of TEFL Uncovered: How to Teach Your Way Abroad with TEFL: http://www.onlinetefl.com/contact-tefl- ... ebook.html. It contains everything you need to know on getting started, what places are like to teach in, along with how to get yourself there!

I hope this help and if you have any more questions please feel free to ask at: http://www.onlinetefl.com.

Best of Luck and remember… you’ll never really know what its like until you go for it!
mattyman
Junior Poster

Post by mattyman »

Thanks for all your feedback guys. Even if I don't get CELTA one fallback option could be to do TEFL as a voluntary gap year type thing by doing one of the less-prestigious qualifications. The biggest drawback of CELTA courses is the amount of money involved. Even after qualifying it doesn't garuntee getting work, and recouperating the costs.

One concern I do have though is that of unscrupulous exploitative employers. I only bring this up cause I have read a few articles mentioning such plus, a friend of mine has a sister who's worked in the industry who says she's had some pretty tough experiences. The last thing I want is to be working every hour god sends at the expense of freedom and life.
Is it still possible to get a well-balanced life with abundant opportunities to meet new people through the TEFL route?

As far as getting jobs in Europe goes, I am a brit so I suppose that's one thing in my favour.