Joining the Navy a good way to meet foreign women?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Kunold
Freshman Poster

Joining the Navy a good way to meet foreign women?

Post by Kunold »

Hello im in the processes of joining the US Navy as enlisted and was wondering if this would be a good way to meet foreign women? Would the women in foreign countries with Navy bases be less willing to have relations with some one in the military because many in their country probably view them as a foreign occupier? would Foreign women view A man in the Navy good anuff to have serious relations with?

Thanks
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

It depends where they send you. Some guys got sent to the Philippines and other exotic places, others ended up in the UK and Italy. The latter met foreign women alright but these were not interested. So, it depends really.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Re: Joining the Navy a goodway to meet foreign women?

Post by Jackal »

Kunold wrote:Hello im in the processes of joining the US Navy as enlisted and was wondering if this would be a good way to meet foreign women? Would the women in foreign countries with Navy bases be less willing to have relations with some one in the military because many in their country probably view them as a foreign occupier? would Foreign women view A man in the Navy good anuff to have serious relations with?
Gah! Don't do it!

Maybe you could have a decent life if you're not stationed on a ship, but the odds are that you will be stationed on a ship which is like a floating prison, in which you'll have daily group showers with men, and work long hours for no additional pay. Sure, once or twice a year you might get shore leave and bang a hooker or two, but you don't need to join the Navy to do that!

Anyway, you should watch the PBS series "Carrier" which is a documentary about daily life onboard a US aircraft carrier. I wouldn't enlist until you've watched that show and seen the reality of living for months on a ship.

If you're in the US, you can see the episodes here (it's blocked for other countries)
http://video.pbs.org/video/1121107212/

I would get a TEFL certificate and teach English overseas instead. This way, you're not a slave of the US government and you won't be forced to get all kinds of dangerous vaccinations and you won't be exposed to dangerous materials (search "Gulf War Syndrome").
Kunold
Freshman Poster

Post by Kunold »

ladislav I live near a Navy submarine base and the town here Silverdale WA has quite a high percentage of Filipinos I don't think they could have been in the Navy so many are probably Spouses of the sailors who met them in the Philippines Im not sure?

Jackal I appreciate your concern and would love to have been a English teacher but don't really have the means to get a degree to be one
Ive heard some negative things about the military like Gulf War Syndrome and seen the PBS show Carrier so these things make me nervous of taking the dive but it seems this would be my only hope of living "Happier Abroad" It would all be worth it if I found that special someone!
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Kunold wrote: Jackal I appreciate your concern and would love to have been a English teacher but don't really have the means to get a degree to be one
Ive heard some negative things about the military like Gulf War Syndrome and seen the PBS show Carrier so these things make me nervous of taking the dive but it seems this would be my only hope of living "Happier Abroad" It would all be worth it if I found that special someone!
In some countries, you can get ESL jobs with TEFL certificate even if you don't have a degree. I think China is like this. Other more remote countries may also be less picky. Ladislav and some of the other guys here probably know the places where you can teach without a BA. Don't fall into the American trap of thinking the military is the only way out.

Although if you're set on joining the US military, how about joining the Air Force instead? That way you wouldn't get stuck on a ship.

Here is the list of foreign USAF bases (unfortunately, the one in the Philippines is now closed).

Afghanistan

* Bagram Air Base
* Shindand Airbase
* Kandahar International Airport

Australia

* Woomera Air Station

Bulgaria

Main article: Bulgarian-American Joint Military Facilities

* Bezmer Air Base
* Graf Ignatievo Air Base

Germany

* Ansbach
* NATO Air Base Geilenkirchen, Geilenkirchen, Germany
* Ramstein Air Base
* Spangdahlem Air Base

Greenland

* Thule AB

Guam

* Andersen Air Force Base

Italy

* Aviano Air Base
* Sigonella Naval Air Station
* Camp Darby (Pisa-Livorno)

Japan

* Kadena Air Base, Okinawa Prefecture
* Misawa Air Base, Misawa, Aomori
* Yokota Air Base, Tokyo

Qatar

* Al Udeid Air Base

Saudi Arabia

Source: Globemaster US Military Aviation Database

* Eskan Village Air Base
* King Abdul Aziz Air Base, Dhahran
* King Fahd Air Base, Taif
* King Khalid Air Base, Khamis Mushayt
* Riyadh Air Base, Riyadh

Singapore

* Paya Lebar Air Base

South Korea

* Kunsan Air Base
* Osan Air Base

Kyrgyzstan

* Transit Center at Manas, Bishkek

Taiwan

* Cha Shan Air Base

The Netherlands

* Joint Force Command Brunssum

Phillipines

* Clark Air Base

Portugal

* Lajes Field, Azores

Spain

* Morón Air Base, Andalusia
* Morón de la Frontera, Andalusia

Turkey

* Incirlik Air Base

United Kingdom (not officially United States Air Force bases.)

* RAF Lakenheath, Brandon, Suffolk
* RAF Menwith Hill, Yorkshire Dales
* RAF Mildenhall, Mildenhall
* RAF Croughton, Upper Heyford
* RAF Alconbury, Cambridgeshire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un ... s#Overseas
ssjparris
Junior Poster

Post by ssjparris »

okay dude. so it is going to be interesting. but it depends on where THEY want you to go. you have no free will to choose it. I was lucky and ended up in japan four years ago. i am a black guy so this was a good thing hehehe.
Kunold
Freshman Poster

Post by Kunold »

"Although if you're set on joining the US military, how about joining the Air Force instead? That way you wouldn't get stuck on a ship."

Yes i have thought of joining the Air force too but at the moment due to downsizing they aren't really recruiting many people, in fact i feel pretty fortunate to have been considered by the Navy their very picky right now,and a simple traffic ticket could prevent one from joining, the way things are going here in America many are trying to join http://www.jsonline.com/news/iraq/41544357.html see this article , hopefully I would be based eventually in some foreign country, I know in the past people would bring back "War Brides" from were they were stationed. Although since many of these countries are doing well economically im not sure if a enlisted sailor would appeal to them very much? You would think some dating/marrying between the locals and sailors would occur?
Last edited by Kunold on December 4th, 2010, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunold
Freshman Poster

Post by Kunold »

ssjparris You were in the Navy? did you travel much? were the Japanese women friendly and easier to date than American women, Ive herd they can be a little xenophobic? As a black man did you do as well or better than the white men their? How would a Japanese women respond to a Latino man (Im half white, half Nicaraguan but look pretty much white i have pale skin except I have dark eyes and dark hair like an Italian or Greek) do they not find that look attractive in general?
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

I grew up near a Navy base. Most of the Navy officers had American wives from the south. I don't think I ever saw one with a foreign wife, except maybe a British one. Of course, this was a pretty elite school for Naval officers. The higher echelons of American society are pretty xenophobic.

And having a foreign wife while you're in the US military might also prevent you from getting secret clearance and might perhaps result in other types of discrimination. I don't know this for a fact, but it's something you should look into.

There is also the US Merchant Marines, which few people know about. This might also be worth looking into.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... ant_Marine
http://www.ehow.com/how_4966693_become- ... arine.html
http://www.seafarers.org/phc/entry.xml

There is also the Merchant Marine Academy. Do you think you could get in? Perhaps if you maxed out the physical part of the test?
http://www.usmma.edu/admissions/default.shtml
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Don't Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

You get the message? Joining the Navy was one of the worst mistakes of my life and made me quite miserable for roughly the four years I was enlisted. I was in during 93-97 on the "stupor" I mean, "super ship" Shiloh CG-67 Ticonderoga missile class Aegis Cruiser. It totally sucked ass.

Initially I joined to get away from the states and "see the world", Well what a bunch of bullshit that is. First off, I was screwed out of my educational benefits as well as being given a job that had nothing to do with what I had initially requested, computers, they made me into an OS which is one of the worst rates to be. Then once you finish your schooling you choose where you go according to your class rank, and most places are based in America not overseas so most people get stationed in the states anyways, most likely either San Diego or Norfolk, Virginia. The best thing is to not even be stationed on a ship but thats almost impossible newly enlisted in the Navy.

Then when you get on the ship your realize most of what you were told or learned is Bull Shit and because of your rank you do mostly shit jobs and don't even do what you learned in school. You mostly clean designated areas that your division is in charge of on the ship and how many f***ing times in a day can you stand in a P-way looking like an idiot cleaning the same wall or floor over and over again just to look busy? Believe me you will learn how to be a janitor not a sailor in the navy. That's what really got me having to clean, clean, clean just to look busy and these idiots in charge would freak out over the stupidist shit if something wasn't just right. You will get used by most higher pay grades, usually E-5 and above and you will have little recourse to not do what they want you to do. There is little privacy and lot's of people that can't function in real life so they stay in the military and your stuck dealing with them on a daily basis. Imagine being stuck with some of your worst enemies 24hrs a day as well as morons running things.

But I can talk about the Navy all day and I'm not going to. You want to travel, well you don't travel much anymore in the Navy, you mostly go out to sea and do make-believe war games and do circles in the middle of the ocean. Instead of pulling into ports the navy mostly replenishes at sea now. So if you are deployed for 6 months, perhaps you might get a total of two weeks liberty all together in tolerable places. (I don't count the middle east cause it sucks there and you are limited to where and what you can do there) For instance one deployment I went to Bali for 3 or 4 days and you will have to pull duty for at least one of those so I only was able to go out for maybe two days. Then we stopped in Phuket, Thailand for maybe 4 days also while having to have duty one of those days. Then you spend 3-4 months in the gulf then on the way back we stop in Thailand again and Hong Kong, then Hawaii and back to the states. Woopie f***ing doo! In comparison to the amount of time at sea and free time it isn't worth it. Plus they will tell you that you are going to a port call and then either cancel it or change it to some lame ass place. They kept telling us we would stop in Australia but they lied and cancelled twice, each time on a different deployment! Fuckers! f**k them all to hell!

Now this was back before they allowed bitches and cunts to serve alongside men. Nowadays they make E-6 and below have a curfew plus you are not allowed to hang out with the local women anymore. This is what my friend said who stayed in after I got out and he made it up to E-6 and recently just got out last year cause he couldn't take it any more! So much more BS and micromanagement than when I left! I'm sure all the lezbos or feminists now running half the navy doesn't want guys to actually have fun with non-American women, so you probably won't be able to experience that. Also they say you can have 30 paid vacation days a year, well what good are they when they never hardly ever allow you to take leave? After four years I cashed in 90 days of paid leave, think about it I was only allowed 30 days vacation in a 4 year time period, assholes!

The surface side of the Navy totally sucks. The Air side is the best, if you had to choose. They seemed to have the best people and weren't as anal retentive as the surface leaders. I'm not sure how submarines are.

I would not join the Navy if I were you but rather join the merchant marines if you want to really travel and make decent money. You will actually pull into ports and have spending money and you won't be treated like a child who can't take of himself, plus there won't be stupid political correctness to deal with. If I had decided to keep traveling on ships I would have transfered to the merchant marines and gone on a cago vessel or something. I remember being in Hong Kong in a girly bar and I had to watch my spending while some merchant Marines were able to spend what they wanted and had the times of their lives with the girls, it's pretty pathetic being an enlisted SEMEN oh I mean SEAMAN....

I swear you will never see so many retards and idiots when you are on one of those ships you wonder how our military can function! Remember, all those shows about the navy you see on TV are mostly hand selected individuals that give you the best impression of the Navy and ship. They are not going to show you the darker side of being in the Navy, that's for sure!

Anyways I'm not going to bitch anymore. If you have any specific questions about the Navy just ask me. I pretty much know most everything about it since I personally experienced the nightmare first hand. You know, I had bad dreams and nightmares for years after I got out and I still occasionally do, same thing that I am once again somehow enlisted and trapped on the ship again. The experience did a number on my subconscious, that's for sure!

The only two things I got out of the Navy experience was knowing how to deal with high stress & assholes as well as coming to a realisation that America is not all it's cracked up to be and most of the media is just a bunch of propaganda either promoting America or degrading other countries.

Mostly only enlisted seemed married to non-Americans and the officers always kept to their own racial type it seems for their own elite purposes. I would also say that probably half the foreign women would cheat on their husbands when they went out to sea. I always saw filipinas in the bars trying to pick up guys. MAny of my friends got with them and would tell me about the family pictures on the walls and all that.

Basically the navy sucks and is mostly full of losers afraid of the real world. The newbies are mostly suckers who thought they were getting one thing but were sold a different bill of goods. I suggest you think again about your choice.

BTW, even if you signed papers in the recruiting office, you aren't officially recruited until you arrive at book camp and sign the real papers so you can still back down if you want. :evil: :evil:

Also if you believe in the environment you will be disgusted by how the Navy disposed of all its trash at sea....You wonder why our oceans are so polluted?
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Mr S wrote: Remember, all those shows about the navy you see on TV are mostly hand selected individuals that give you the best impression of the Navy and ship. They are not going to show you the darker side of being in the Navy, that's for sure!
Wow. It's even worse than the show "Carrier"? That show depressed the shit out of me.

On that show, one enlisted guy was living under the fighter jet catapult and had to listen to the planes thumping down on the deck all night long and could never get a good night's sleep. Another enlisted guy on that show kept having depressing phone calls with his girlfriend who was pregnant with his child, and over the course of the show, he basically found out that she was dating another guy while he was away. The military in general is hard on relationships, but it seems the Navy kills relationships.
Kunold
Freshman Poster

Post by Kunold »

Ya the "see the world" phrase defiantly appeals since it would be on the Governments tab, as far as eduction benefits i will try to get the GI bill in writing when i see a Navy Classifier (i already passed asvab and physical) Im not really holding out for any rating in particular since their so hard to come by becasue people who would have gotten out arn't due to the bad job market here,though SeaBee appeals to me because you don't see much ship service

Ive heard you spend much of your time as a lower rank doing menial jobs/janitor work and will be stuck with people i don't like but at least a tiny amount of shore leave might be worth it?

"Now this was back before they allowed bitches and cunts to serve alongside men. Nowadays they make E-6 and below have a curfew plus you are not allowed to hang out with the local women anymore. This is what my friend said who stayed in after I got out and he made it up to E-6 and recently just got out last year cause he couldn't take it any more! So much more BS and micromanagement than when I left! I'm sure all the lezbos or feminists now running half the navy doesn't want guys to actually have fun with non-American women, so you probably won't be able to experience that. Also they say you can have 30 paid vacation days a year, well what good are they when they never hardly ever allow you to take leave? After four years I cashed in 90 days of paid leave, think about it I was only allowed 30 days vacation in a 4 year time period, assholes!"

Yes im concerned that with their being so many feminists and lesbians they will dampen and over-regulate any shore leave, Im trying to join to escape those kind of things, perhaps i have this romantic notion that being a sailor is like in that play "South Pacific" or the movie the bounty were salty men come upon an exotic Island full of beautiful/non feminist women

What you wrote is as frank an answer as i will ever get from anyone who was in the Navy, but what you wrote here viewtopic.php?t=9118&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10
really struck a chord with me, I would sell Mangoes at the local market in Cebu to get away from America women
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Your not going to accomplish much joining the navy, you seem to not be listening to me. But you will dig your own grave and have regrets after you join. Oh well. I'm not going to stop someone getting hit by a truck.

Your rate matters a whole hell of a lot! Get a rate which you can actually be useful after you get out or go into the intelligence area of the Navy. Like I said before the airside is the best to get into.

If you want to see the world and don't want to wait to put yourself through school then join the merchant marines.

Most women think military guys are losers, you won't get laid much. I doubt you will get laid much even going overseas since you will be micromanaged with what you can and can't do unless you get stationed in Japan or Italy which is pretty hard to do. So if you are going to get away from American women the navy isn't the solution.

I'd rather join the Air force than the navy, they get treated better and have real jobs and better bases.

I got lied to all the time and screwed over by the government, I'm sure you will too in one way or another.

You can get a TEFL or celta certificate without a degree and teach English in China, it's not very hard. BEtter than being in the crappy navy. Then you could do online courses while your working and get a BA in something.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Kunold
Freshman Poster

Post by Kunold »

Thank you Mr S If I do choose to continue in joining the Navy i will defiantly insist upon Aviation rates, I will also research more about merchant marines and TEFL or celta certificates.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Kunold wrote:Thank you Mr S If I do choose to continue in joining the Navy i will defiantly insist upon Aviation rates, I will also research more about merchant marines and TEFL or celta certificates.
Thank god! You're starting to listen!

And whatever you do, don't think that your Navy recruiter is an objective and honest source of information. Military recruiters can be 100 times more deceptive than used car salesmen. There is probably a special level of hell just for them.

And don't listen to mainstream Americans who will try to convince you that serving in the US military is always so wonderful and honorable. Often the military does things which are stupid, unethical, or both stupid and unethical. You're just the enforcers and slaves for the big corporations that run America when you're in the military.

The most important thing to remember is that if you decide to go the route of getting your TEFL certificate and teaching English in China, most other Americans will think that you're crazy and try to talk you out of it. DON'T LISTEN TO THOSE BRAINWASHED FUCKERS!!! If you've done enough research to conclude that you can get an ESL job in China with just a TEFL certificate, then that should be enough for you. Don't let other Americans put the guilt trip on you of "Oh, you used to want serve your country and that would have been so honorable, blah, blah, but now we don't understand why you have such strange plans, blah, blah, blah." Again, f**k 'EM!! If you always listen to assholes like that, you'll be stuck in the American matrix forever.

On the other hand, you might find it a bit overwhelming to be surrounded by people speaking Chinese at first, but like anything, you can get used to it after a while.

Can you imagine what it would feel like to wake up in China and know that you're far away from American feminists? Can you imagine what it would feel like to walk down the street with a pretty, young Chinese woman and see Chinese characters everywhere?

You're at a critical turning point in your life. Don't make a bad choice.

Which will it be?

This

Image Image

Or this?

Image Image