Joining the Navy a good way to meet foreign women?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Kunold, after what Mr S told you, are you still seriously thinking of joining the navy? I've known Mr S for years and he is one of the most honest no bull guys I know who tells it like it is.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Kunold
Freshman Poster

Post by Kunold »

Winston my Navy recruiter called me 2 days ago telling me since the Navy is overmanned right now due to the bad job market I can only join as a reservist 1weekend a month 2weeks a year so no real opportunity to travel (they are still taking women for active duty, and people who can qualify for Navy Seals), I am still interested in the Military for the hope of travel but also the Assertiveness training they will instill in you, im a very shy guy. I can understand the skepticism since the military is one of many ways American culture/values is spread but seeing all these military men with sexy foreign wives(many filipinas) makes it seem worth. Also women don't seem to pay attention to shy reserved guys like me until their in their 50s, their hypergamous instincts insist upon adventuresome aggressive or rich men. At the very least the military will fix my lack of assertiveness, I will let you know what i plan to do.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

That's not true. A lot of foreign women do not like aggressive guys, but prefer decent guys. You are thinking with a US mentality. What about the Reserved Officer Training Corps? Have you looked into that? I heard it was like part time service with benefits. If you have a degree, I think you can get in?

Mr S, what have you heard about the ROTC? What's your take on it?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Kunold
Freshman Poster

Post by Kunold »

yes Winston i have looked into the ROTC but would be to old and probably would not have been competitive enough anyways. Ya about the aggressiveness thing its hard to imagine women not wanting anything else.
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Kunold wrote:Winston my Navy recruiter called me 2 days ago telling me since the Navy is overmanned right now due to the bad job market I can only join as a reservist 1weekend a month 2weeks a year so no real opportunity to travel (they are still taking women for active duty, and people who can qualify for Navy Seals)
Consider this as a blessing in disguise! I wouldn't bother with the reserves, because, as you said, there is little opportunity to travel.
Kunold wrote: I am still interested in the Military for the hope of travel but also the Assertiveness training they will instill in you, im a very shy guy.
You can transform yourself outside of the military as well. Teaching English abroad will force you to develop some courage because you'll be facing down groups of 12 to 20 high school students many times a day. Doing this successfully for a while will help you develop a lot of confidence. Also, getting in shape can help, and you can certainly do that outside the military, too.
Kunold wrote: I can understand the skepticism since the military is one of many ways American culture/values is spread but seeing all these military men with sexy foreign wives(many filipinas) makes it seem worth.
Again there are many men with sexy Filipina wives who were never in the military. You don't need to be in the military to marry a Filipina.
Kunold wrote: Also women don't seem to pay attention to shy reserved guys like me until their in their 50s, their hypergamous instincts insist upon adventuresome aggressive or rich men.
As Winston said, many women abroad don't want the total asshole types of men which American women worship. Sure, women everywhere like money. But in Europe at least, women seem to just like thin, well-dressed guys who can dance and who are kind and fun to be around. They don't like thug types for the most part. I don't know what women think in Asia.
Kunold
Freshman Poster

Post by Kunold »

Ya It was annoying for my recruiter to tell me this I was waiting like 6 months, most of those guys with foreign wives who wern't in the military probably are men of far better means than I am,at this rate ever hope to be though :( Simply being American probably won't cut it anymore unless u ear like 100k a year?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Not at all. Just date Filipinas online and then I think you need like 20-24 K a year to be able to bring a fiancee to the US. Try http://www.dateinasia.com

Meeting foreign women through the Navy was a good way back then, in the pre-internet and pre-political correctness days. Now we have the Internet, cheap flights and a new multipolar world. We do not need the Navy.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

Yeah, your not listening to anything we say to dissuade you to join some military branch...If your so gung-ho to go overseas. Why don't you plop your ass down and start studying Russian everyday and join the russian military. IF you apply yourself you could have the language skills to join within a year.

I posted a previous discussion about this topic under Russia I believe.

Or like I said join the Merchant Marines.

Or Get a TEFL and go overseas to China. Those are really your only options.

BTW if you married a foreign women while in the military and it didn't work out your screwed double what would happen if you were just a civilian. You HAVE to pay a portion of your military income to her...

I don't know why you want to crash and burn so much. You can be more aggressive having to face a classroom full of students everyday. You don't need the stress and assholes molding you to be more assertive. I went that route and it messes you up more than it helps. Trust me.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Yeah, your not listening to anything we say to dissuade you to join some military branch...If your so gung-ho to go overseas. Why don't you plop your ass down and start studying Russian everyday and join the russian military. IF you apply yourself you could have the language skills to join within a year.
Russian military has bad hazing practices. Soldiers commit suicide in it. But this does not look so bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WDzftWx ... re_related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rAHrHd2lcw
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Post by Jackal »

Kunold,

Here's one general tip: stop watching American TV, except for the weather and storm emergency notifications.

American TV just brainwashes you to think like a typical American and conditions you to worry about the things big coporations want you to worry about. A TV commercial asks, "Are you counters Bounty clean?" The well-conditioned American consumer begins to tremble with anxiety thinking, "Oh no! I'm not sure if they're Bounty clean. Gosh, I better buy some Bounty paper towels!" *rushes out the door to the 24-hour Walmart to relieve his unacceptable level of social anxiety which was induced by the commercial*

There's also all kinds of nationalistic propaganda that is continually slipped into American TV programs as well as negative propaganda about foreign countries.

Read international news sites. Start learning a language. Listen to music and other programs in different languages. Start conditioning yourself to be a person who belongs overseas--the average American does not belong overseas!
keius
Freshman Poster

Post by keius »

I can't understand how anyone would want to join an organization where you are essentially going to be someone else's bitch....and you can't leave when you want to. In the military, you are going to be more than a single person's bitch. It's even worse when your not an officer. Can you deal with taking orders to kill people without knowing why?...simply because of political expediency? You never know exactly what you'll end up doing.

At least with a normal job, you can tell them to f' off and bail when you feel like you must. The military is a good option for those who have no options. I've got buddies who enlisted. Not a single one stayed past their initial enlistment. They all ended up on some aircraft carrier for most of their enlistment. The only good thing to come out of it was that they all ended up pretty buff. Only thing they could do to amuse themselves was to work out.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Winston, if you want to edit something, you can remove all the excessive exclamation points out of Mr S's post. That way I wont have to shift my screen from side to side to read each and every sentence of the thread! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
MIHA
Freshman Poster

Post by MIHA »

joining the navy to kill innocent people and pick up some girls while youre at it. you need to get your head checked.
kai1275
Experienced Poster

Post by kai1275 »

MIHA wrote:joining the navy to kill innocent people and pick up some girls while youre at it. you need to get your head checked.
In the good ol days before the internet, this was one of the best ways to get you a bad ass Asian wife. Like Mr.S said, nowadays the military does not let the men have fun as much anymore. MANY guys have told me that. In fact it can be quite hard for guys of certain ranks to get out base to go look for girls in some cases. Also a few bad men ruined it for everyone. Rape cases in the late 90's early 2000's f***ed it up and rules got much tighter.

With the internet, forget the military! If you want a Filipino wife, just have a regular job, save up a little bit and go visit. They really are not that picky and like one guy said, it does not cost much to bring one over on a K1 visa.
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

Personally, I had many financial incentives (getting out of debt, for example), I signed a short contract, and I knew going in (ie: I had it put into my contract) that I would be doing very specific things in very specific places.

Also, I'm an officer.

With that said, it's still not an ideal situation and I'm counting down the months until my contract is up (almost 27 months now). And my situation is the BEST CASE SCENARIO.

Do not join the military. Find other ways to go abroad.