Dances with Wolves Phenomena

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Will N. Dowd
Junior Poster

Dances with Wolves Phenomena

Post by Will N. Dowd »

I just recently watched this great movie again for the first time in a long time and after wards I started to think about that movie and comparing it to what Winston is preaching about here. Kevin Costner was told by others that the Indians were all evil and the white people and culture were all good. Then after getting to know them and living among them, he realized it was in fact the exact opposite, and the whites were the evil ones. Then he ditches his own kind and lives with the Indians and decides to run from the white settlers.

Has anyone experienced similar feelings after moving to another country or culture like the Philippines? Even though the movie took place 150 years ago and it was a work of fiction, the ideas and thoughts in it mirror what we are talking about here. Has anyone felt the same way Kevin's character did about white culture and people after going to or moving to the Philippines? Granted this is only a movie, but I would be interested to know if anyone else here has drawn the same comparisons I did after watching again.

I hope that I will feel this way after I go to the Philippines this summer for the first time. Because I hate western white culture with a passion right now, and I have 1500 messages from Pinays on DIA in 2 months!
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

it's not white culture okay.. that's stupid. america has always been the white-man's backwater. a satanic state. it's the usury pushing blue blooded mother fuckers who manipulate and control the human race using europe as a base who are to blaim for your suffering.

go to italy, see what man is capable of. and they take credit even though they never worked a day in their lives. people kiss their ass wherever they go. well david rockefeller who played both sides of the cold war, got a rude welcome recently.

they profit from our wars. and culture is not necessarily your friend by the way

if you were born in japan you'd be a slave to social norms and many locals attempt suicide but foreigners love that place
maybe that's why you love the philippines because pacific islanders are generally too lazy and laidback to make or care about anything

the problem is the british empire, which the US is a part of as a corporation owned by the queen
the roman empire (vatican/catholic church) who has caused more death and suffering than anyone.
it goes together, the lady and the beast that carried her. lady is religion and beast is government.
and their errand boys, the jews, and their subversion of european culture. unless you agree with them pushing flower vaginas as art, and jazz music, just as two examples. by the way we say jizz now, but back then jazz was the dirty word

i've always agreed with leo tolstoy who said it's the serfs who should teach us not the other way around.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yes that move is a great analogy and I've used it in my comparisons too. I did feel that way after going to Russia for the first time in 2002.

The movie may be fiction but it is based on a real historical person, who did become one of the Indians, but I forget his name.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Jackal
Experienced Poster

Re: Dances with Wolves Phenomena

Post by Jackal »

Will N. Dowd wrote: Even though the movie took place 150 years ago and it was a work of fiction, the ideas and thoughts in it mirror what we are talking about here. Has anyone felt the same way Kevin's character did about white culture and people after going to or moving to the Philippines?
It's been a long time since I've seen that movie, but I think I remember the general story.

I think you're making a good comparison. Yes, I feel a bit like that character in the movie everyday.

Before I came to Hungary, everybody in America except my mother (who is European) thought that going to Hungary was at best "weird" and at worst "a big mistake" because most Americans have only negative stereotypes of foreign countries and have an unrealistically positive stereotype about their own country.

Anyway, most people have been really nice to me here. Most people I've met here are far nicer than most of my relatives, who are total assholes. I've gotten used to the culture here and it's become "home" to me. I can understand a good bit of Hungarian now, which feels crazy and unbelievable sometimes.

I never plan on returning to the USA. There are many other more interesting countries in the world where I can get a job more easily. I don't just want to be a perpetually nervous slave in the US.

The last class I taught today ended at 12:30, so now I have the rest of the day to enjoy myself! Hurray!
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out the score from Dances with Wolves. It's a soothing masterpiece and makes me want to venture into the "frontier" as well.

Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

Will N. Dowd wrote:I just recently watched this great movie again for the first time in a long time and after wards I started to think about that movie and comparing it to what Winston is preaching about here. Kevin Costner was told by others that the Indians were all evil and the white people and culture were all good. Then after getting to know them and living among them, he realized it was in fact the exact opposite, and the whites were the evil ones. Then he ditches his own kind and lives with the Indians and decides to run from the white settlers.

Has anyone experienced similar feelings after moving to another country or culture like the Philippines? Even though the movie took place 150 years ago and it was a work of fiction, the ideas and thoughts in it mirror what we are talking about here. Has anyone felt the same way Kevin's character did about white culture and people after going to or moving to the Philippines? Granted this is only a movie, but I would be interested to know if anyone else here has drawn the same comparisons I did after watching again.

I hope that I will feel this way after I go to the Philippines this summer for the first time. Because I hate western white culture with a passion right now, and I have 1500 messages from Pinays on DIA in 2 months!
Wow, I do not know if I will ever compete with that feat, but then again, it's not about competition :)
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I just saw "Dances With Wolves" again too, the four hour extended version with an added overture, intermission and extra hour of footage. Wow I'm speechless. It's a lot more than just a movie. It's like a spiritual experience and a great epic as well. Every moment in it is meaningful and moving. And the masterpiece musical score makes every moment moving and soulful as well. I've never seen such a musical score complement a film so well.

What's special and unique about this film is that when the protagonist character John Dunbar (Kevin Costner) slowly transforms into a Native American soul, you (the viewer) feel like you are going through the transformation process along with him. That's what makes it like an experience, rather than just a film.

What's more, if you are a white American guy with a deep observant genuine soul and personality, you will relate to John Dunbar's character - his alienation from his white culture, as well as his connection with the Sioux tribe. (Thus this film has a Happier Abroad theme to it as well) Dunbar is the only deep observation genuine white character in the film, along with his lover, because the rest of the white characters in this epic seem so degenerate and hollow, or robotic, in comparison.

I would try to see this on a big screen though, so you can appreciate the scenery, which most of this film focuses on, even more than the characters. Set aside four hours and dim the lights to see it. Then you will understand what I mean.

I think it's one of the top ten best films of all time. And it's Costner's best role as well. Check out the reviews for it on IMDB. Almost everyone gave it a 10 out of 10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099348/reviews

Also, on Amazon.com nearly every reviewer gave it 5 stars out of 5 as well.

You can get it from torrent sites, but unless you have a media player or hook up your laptop to the TV, you won't be able to see it on your TV. You can get the DVD version on Amazon.com for 5 dollars (see the link above) or download it from Amazon.com for a few dollars at:

I think it's a Happier Abroad film too because in the story, John Dunbar (Kevin Costner) experiences social connection, harmony and genuineness with the Sioux tribe, and then realizes how hollow and empty his white culture is. His soul slowly becomes Sioux, to the point where he doesn't fit in anymore with American life. The soldiers at the end who capture and persecute him look so degenerate, soulless and depraved compared to the Sioux tribe he joined. Only then do you realize the comparison.

Anyway, this is a must see film. It reflects the spirit and feeling of our movement. Everyone should see it to understand our point of view better.
Last edited by Winston on March 1st, 2014, 6:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

AdmiralOfBlacks
Freshman Poster

Post by AdmiralOfBlacks »

It's funny though, OP, because the very reason why you get to enjoy the Flips is because of White colonialism and global dominance...

Double-edged sword, I guess. I don't blame you for taking advantage of a good thing (from your perspective anyway).
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Here is a photo of Winston 'lying down with wolves.' :P

"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

AdmiralOfBlacks wrote:It's funny though, OP, because the very reason why you get to enjoy the Flips is because of White colonialism and global dominance...

Double-edged sword, I guess. I don't blame you for taking advantage of a good thing (from your perspective anyway).
I get your point, Admiral, but let me suggest a different POV.

What if the Phils were still ana rray of local kingdoms? And a White guy showed up with spiffy clothes and a winning smile? He might STILL do well. Right?

I don't think it's fair to pin "White Guy's Advantage" on colonialism.

And it's not really White Guy's Advantage. It's really Prince-From-Afar advantage.

Armenia's GREATEST hero, Vartan Mamigonian, is thought to be from Mongol or Chinese blood. We REVERE the guy. Apparently he (or his dad) showed up as a traveler, or refugee, from afar. He was accepted ito the aristocracy, and ended up saving the country.

Then there was Othello, from Shakespeare's play, probably based on a real guy. Moorish adventurer who becomes an Italian prince.

Then there was this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abram_Petrovich_Gannibal

My point is that for a single man to get advantage in a strange land is not ALWAYS about colonialism.

Some have said, here or on RooshV, that it makes genetic sense for women to be interested i n the handsome stranger, or "Prince from Afar". Replenishes and renews the gene pool.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
nicalandia
Freshman Poster

Post by nicalandia »

Will N. Dowd wrote: Then he ditches his own kind and lives with the Indians !
Indians are from India, Native Americans, Please
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Wow check this out. Benjamin Franklin talked about the Dances with Wolves phenomenon too!

He said that when you live among the native Indians, you will be so happy and free that you won't want to return to civilization, because civilization is unnatural and unfree. This sounds like a similar or related concept to Happier Abroad. The beginning of the movie "Dances With Wolves" should have featured this quote from Benjamin Franklin below.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19864_6- ... erica.html
The Truth:

The fake mystery of Roanoke is a pretty good key for understanding the difference between how white settlers actually felt about American Indians and how hard your history books had to ignore that reality. Settlers defecting to join native society was so common that it became a major issue for colonial leaders -- think the modern immigration debate, except with all the white people risking their lives to get out of American society. According to Loewen, "Europeans were always trying to stop the outflow. Hernando De Soto had to post guards to keep his men and women from defecting to Native societies." Pilgrims were so scared of Indian influence that they outlawed the wearing of long hair.

Ben Franklin noted that, "No European who has tasted Savage Life can afterwards bear to live in our societies." While "always bet on black" might have been sound financial advice by the time Wesley Snipes offered it, Ben Franklin knew that for much of American history, it was equally advisable to bet on red.

Franklin wasn't pointing this out as a critique of the settlers who defected -- he believed that Indian societies provided greater opportunities for happiness than European cultures -- and he wasn't the only Founding Father who thought settlers could learn a thing or two from them. They didn't dress up like Indians at the Boston Tea Party ironically. That was common protesting gear during the American revolutions.