Why I'm tired of living in Angeles City, where to move to?

Ask questions and get advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following advice here. Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's been addressed.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out this email response I got about Angeles City. Dang.
i just read your why you wish to leave angeles city yes you have been there awhile and i can see your predictiment. I live in hawaii and sometimes I wish to leae here it happens. I hae noticed the feet thing you talk about kinda got to me also. Last noember was my wortse trip there i had runners almost eerytime i had not had that before i attributed it to the time of year since tempatures was cooler it was not unpleasant to sleep at home instead of haing to get banged all day for comforts of aircon hmm new trend could have set in thats a shame. Last time I went to meet a girl around laguna a non bar girl i was sick of the bar girl type and sadly her behaior and this is the second non bar girl i have tried and the results were about the same. Beautiful girl and good at faking she liked you. I
What became the break down of that one was I found she was talking to other men online and hiding it from me she also had pics hidden on her facebook account she was hiding from me of another guy and would not post our pics together her excuse her freinds teased her it was bullshit. she also used excuses bad connections but when the wheels were coming off and she was pissed off at me and wanted to bitch at me neer once a bad connection a excuse she used while chatting to other men. I hae found filipinos and i deal with many filipino immigrants here on a daily basis they are basicsally unable to feel guilt over anything and can not matter what they do justify there behavior, i am not a racist guy but many dealing with that breed of people i hae almost deolped a hatred for them. In phils for an example you can tip a person well treat them kind and yesterday dont mean shit today is a new day to get through it seems the term loyality does not exist unless its family then f**k it balls to the wall give all you got its absurd. i love when you enter a business and they purposelly give you shitty serice and get that stupid smirk on there face like they have just accomplished something grand. Its a deep cultural oddity and it does not seem to matter whether you are in the bars or not. Ans all my dealing wherever I hae never i mean never not once ever had a filipino offer to pitch in on any expense bar girl non bar girl but they will gladly accept any offerring or expect the offering. I think they take that poverty tale just a little too far really and the idea of population control which a feasible society would not pump 12 children out per family with no means of adequate support is like a language only spoken on mars. I once had ideas of a filipina girl for a wife but i really beleive that would be the biggest mistake i could possibly ever make. so i guess i am just destined for a life of a butterfly and i will win some lose some and hae some called for rain lol. Thanks for hearing my greivances and also in chats i have had online with girls there and they discoer i am coming to the phils it is no time before the ask me what am i gonna give them for there present WTF? any feedback is welcome I once met you outside margarita we talked for a minute your take on AC was much more positive at that time LOL.
Oh and here is Steve Hoca's response:
Hello Winston:

I read your posting and rather than post directly to it, I thought that I would just give you my two cents.

Angeles City is a cesspool of total misery. I never went there in my during my two-week trip, and seriously, I had no plans to either. The women there are all gimme-gimme types that are only out for one thing: your wallet.

I met a nice girl in Cagayan de Oro and one other in Cebu. Seriously Winston, I refuse to make foreign travel strictly about sexual tourism. I didn't get go to the Philippines to meet prostitutes. I can find that in America. I went there to see the other side of the world, and that I liked. The scenery was beautiful too.

Maybe when you get a little older Winston, you'll realize that meeting foreign women is not about partying and sex, it's about getting what you deserve as a man, and that's a beautiful woman that you can love, be nurtured by, and grow old with. Someone that will have true meaning in your life. Looks fade, but if done right, love can last a lifetime. Maybe even an eternity.

In closing, I will say this. I may never visit Angeles City. I had no intentions six months ago, and I surely don't think I have intentions now.

Talk to you soon friend.

Steve
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

gits wrote:I was in Boracay for a week. It's also expensive, but I think you should find someplace similar....
When you walked around the resort/beach areas, did you notice the ads posted for rooms for rent from local houses and businesses? Since I was with a wedding group, my room at the resort was already paid for and I didn't check to see what the local rates are. But I have to think they're much less than the resorts.
targetguy
Freshman Poster

where to live

Post by targetguy »

8) As much as i hate to say this there are cities in the us that are cheper then foreign citys now for realestate condos and houses. Houston texas or phoenix az to name a few. The crime is probobly a little better here so something to think about if realestate is a considreation. I had dreams of retireing abroad years ago but each year
the us dollar gets a worse exchange rate and makes living overseas tuff not to mention in the us as well. I have seen condos in south america and mexico much higher
then stucco framed houses in the us. so if realestate is a considreation the us is not to bad now.
no scammers
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Is this true about the effects of pollution on your health?
Hi Winston,

Oh yes, air pollution lowers IQ, increases incidence of lung diseases (including cancer), increases heart attack risk 5X, and lowers lifespan by years potentially. Just Google air pollution risks etc. That's why I want my daughter OUT of Angeles, but her mother is too stupid to see sense.
What I've noticed is that half the locals in Angeles City do not wish to comment about the pollution there. When I bring it up and ask them why they stay there, they often act like they don't know what to say or didn't hear me. Why is that? Is it a form of cognitive dissonance?
Last edited by Winston on May 3rd, 2011, 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

You're saying crime in Houston Texas and Phoenix Arizona is better than foreign destinations? Do you realize that American cities have some of the highest rates of violent crime in the world? IN some cities more Americans are killed than in Iraq or Afghanistan.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
Winston
Site Admin

Happier Abroad, or not?

Post by Winston »

Look at all the nature and fresh air I took for granted when I was in America, in places such as Washington and Utah. To go from this to the highly polluted filthy slum-like Angeles City, with no nice natural place to walk, is a big downgrade in many ways isn't it? Can I really be said to be "Happier Abroad" then, to go from fantastic scenery to slum-like filthy conditions? Makes you wonder... Sometimes life is not so cut and dry, and there is a hidden "other side" to things that you aren't aware of.

In Washington state

In a greenhouse garden in Victoria, Canada

In Las Vegas

In the canyons of southern Utah

In contrast, look at Angeles City.

Happier Abroad? lol You tell me.

Hook
Freshman Poster

Post by Hook »

What happened to the girl you were with in Washington, Etc? She looks like she is in good shape. If she was willing to travel with you, she must have liked you.
lovesong
Freshman Poster

Post by lovesong »

Terrence wrote:
Winston wrote:Terrence,
You've been to both the Philippines and China right? How would you compare and contrast them?
I didn't have time to write about this yesterday, so I will try today, and hope I finish before my girlfriend finishes preparing lunch and makes me clear out my computer. :)

I don't share ijonh's negative assessment of things or see this as the end of Happier abroad. I see this as simply a matter of arranging priorities to fit your desired life style. Here is what I have learned thinking about comparing Philippines with China.

If you want to live the high life, meaning average western style, middle class, it is expensive just about anywhere. I find it to be a lot more expensive in Philippines that other places like China or even Korea. One reason for that is Philippines has a range from squatter areas up to nice penthouse condos. In China or Korea, the range is a lot smaller.

In Cebu city I lived in a nice tower apartment, mostly western style, but still local construction standards, and no central air. It cost about 20,000 peso per month or $400 at the time. My apartment in Shanghai is about the same, but slightly less, around $380 or so, but quality is so far out of the league of anything I've seen available in Philippines that I think it is actually cheaper her. Of course Shanghai has places that go up into the several thousand dollars per month also, so it depends on what you're looking for.

Here the real issue. As you move towards more local lifestyle, the prices naturally drop. The thing is, in China they drop a lot lower than in Philippines, but the quality still beats even my expensive tower apartment in Cebu. In Cavite city, I lived in a very simple apartment. It was 2 bedroom, no central air, very local standards, but certainly very livable. It cost about 7000 peso per month. Maybe $140 or so. Of course everything broke just about every other month too. In Henan province, in China, my friends had a huge 3 bedroom place. The quality was still up to western standards, only lacking central air. It beat my tower apartment in Cebu, which also lacked central air, by miles in quality. It cost about $180 a month. Aside from not having an elevator to get to the seventh floor, meaning you had to take the stairs every time, it was better than the place I paid $1000 a month for in L.A.!!

That is still not the cheapest place I have seen in China. In Fujian, in the smaller cities like Fuzhou, I noticed that even the so-called poor areas still were clean and had decent looking construction. There weren't people peeing everywhere. NO chickens walking around making noise or street dogs or noisy motorbikes. Seems many ride electric scooters here or use normal pedal bicycles.

Basically you can live a much higher quality of life on the same income in China versus the Philippines. China has so many varieties of foods that you could go for a year and never eat the same thing twice. Food is cheap. EVen in shanghai you can find places where you can eat a lot for a $1. In other cities, it's the norm not the exception.

Now, for those who want all the girls and nightlife, that seems to be expensive here, and there's not as much of it, at least available to foreigners. I haven't been into that scene for years now, but I have heard stories from other folks I talked to and read on the net. Even the filipinas here charge an arm and a leg for short time. There are only a few places that cater to foreigners and the girl to customer ratio seems skewed heavily on the customer side, which means the girls are ridden hard. In the Phils you can easily find bargirls who haven't had a customer for weeks or even months during low seasons, but in China you can expect that every girl services several guys every single day. The cost is also 5X or more what you pay in the Philippines. Even if you go to cheaper cities, being a foreigner, you will still be expected to pay big, even if the local guy in front of you walked out having payed only 200 yuan, or 1500 peso. The foreigner will probably be expected to pay 1000 yuan, or 7000 peso or so.

Normal nightlife, like non P4P stuff, is also expensive in Shanghai but it is awesome anything I found in Philippines. Awesome Jazz bars with real fat black women singing in there and everything! You can find anything as far as food, live music and entertainment, but the price approaches western prices.

The other big hurdle in China is the visa issues. I almost went to jail and payed through the nose to fix my problems in that arena. Now that it is all fixed, though, I am set here for a very long time. Still, you have to overcome that, which may mean you will need a real job, or at least a company willing to sponsor you as though you have one. This would be my biggest problem if I were to stay here and do only my internet business. Of course, if one is willing to marry here, that is no longer a problem.

My conclusion is that, on a budget, you get more out of China, except in the P4P department, if that is your thing. People are not as warm and friendly as the Phils, especially in BSG. In the smaller parts of China, though, I'd say they are neck and neck. Remember, China is HUGE, almost as big as the US in land size. There is somewhere you can find the climate, look, and living style you like and you can do it on a budget. I don't see myself returning to the Philippines personally. There are a couple of things I miss, but far too many things I don't miss. Overall, I feel like China has more to offer. I have yet to see a dirty, urine smelling, chicken filled city, and I have traveled up and down this country visiting both big and small, rich and poor areas. Being hear has made me consider dropping my older goal of finding a life in Japan. (of course recent events there add to that) If I am to be happier abroad, I think right here in China, though probably not in Shanghai, is where I will do it.
Hey Terrence,

I know this is an older post but I noticed you said you were initially planning on living in Japan. That also was my previous goal as well. How would you compare the vibe in China vs Japan? Or more specifically any city in China vs Tokyo as I love Tokyo. Food, music, transportation? Also, do the girls dress as fashionably hot in China as they do in Tokyo?
tmr
Freshman Poster

Post by tmr »

Oops I posted on the wrong thread, this should be here

viewtopic.php?p=41949&highlight=#41949
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

lovesong wrote:
Hey Terrence,

I know this is an older post but I noticed you said you were initially planning on living in Japan. That also was my previous goal as well. How would you compare the vibe in China vs Japan? Or more specifically any city in China vs Tokyo as I love Tokyo. Food, music, transportation? Also, do the girls dress as fashionably hot in China as they do in Tokyo?

Yes. My initial plans, when I left the US for the Philippines, was to slowly make my way to Japan, building up my name as an indie manga artist and animator along the way. Now, before I get into comparisons, I will say now that I don't harbor any negative images or opinions about Japan. The largest reasons for my change were because of what I didn't know about China, and because of Fukushima.

Don't believe what you read about Fukushima. My opinion, and it is just that, is that all this talk of safe levels and things being "under control, is utter nonsense. The fact that many radiation monitoring stations both in Japan and around the world are shutting down or experience technical difficulties or are in need of maintenance is very suspicious. They don't want anyone to know what the real levels of radiation damage are. Even in the US, radiation monitoring is running into problems or the institutions have better things to do. I believe, and this is just my belief, that the radiation levels are deadly and have spread far beyond Fukushima. Unless I see conclusive proof to the contrary, my plans on living in Japan are finished.

There is another issue on the decline of their comic and animation industry, but that is another story.

It is reasonable to compare Shanghai with Tokyo, but that is probably the only city I think would measure up. Beijing and Guangzhou just aren't there yet, in my opinion. What is my opinion based on? Nothing really, just the look, variety and quality of food, proliferation of cool gadgets, and fashionability of the girls. If you like the bright lights, colors, video screens and whole future city vibe, Tokyo may still win, though Shanghai is very close. Some things I have seen in Shanghai go further, like the building near Yan'an Road which has nearly half a face as a video screen. Tokyo probably has many more varieties of foods, especially in a smaller space. China still mostly has Chinese food, mainly because there's so much of that you can eat something different everyday for a year. Remember CHina is huge! Still, in certain areas, you can find all manner of international foods. Tokyo, though, may offer Italian, Turkish, Greek, Thai, Czech and many others all within walking distance. ONe thing Tokyo may not offer, though, is great Chinese food. It's simply not possible. There's too much of it. I have yet to find anywhere that can do it like it is done here. In fact, it is on the street and in the hole-in-the-wall shops where you find it. Even the big fancy places in Shanghai, where customers wear a suit and tie, don't have great food, but a 7 yuan fried rice on the street will be awesome.

You see just as much fashionable dress, and accessories, in Shanghai, but with one caveat. Shanghai, for now, still keeps in sensible. Last time I was in Japan, the fashion was bordering on cosplay, and these were just people walking around on the street. I saw real life Final Fantasy looking people every time I turned around, the colored hair, the strange clothes, contact lenses and everything. Japan has been into high fashion for a long time, so they will naturally win in this category. In fact, the young fashionable people in Shanghai today are just trying to look like what Japanese pop culture says is hot.

I hate public transportation, so I am probably not the one to comment on it. I have never been anywhere that can beat Tokyo's train system. It can get you anywhere. If you like buses, which I loathe, then you can get anywhere for a few cents in Shanghai. I take taxis. This is not possible in Tokyo, because they cost too much and a driver will laugh at you unless you're going somewhere far. Shanghai taxis are cheap, and that is 2X what they cost in other places in China. Still, you can get around your area for $2 or so, and somewhere far-ish, might run you $6 or $7. Cut this in half in other parts of China.

Tokyo still beats almost anywhere (except Seoul) for cool gadgets, 3G/4G connections and super fast internet. There's simply no comparing what is available in Shanghai, though I have heard rumors of 8Mbps in some parts. Tokyo is at 56Mbsp and their cell phones can stream full motion video over wireless.

Overall vibe is a little difficult for me. I speak Japanese almost fluently, so I have more access to things there. I speak enough Chinese to get around, maybe get food and talk to a taxi driver, but not enough to really get deep into things. Also, Shanghai has its own language, so no matter how good my Chinese gets, it won't be the same as what I can do in Japan. My girlfriend, from Henan, doesn't even understand what people are saying here, and they often speak to her in Shanghai language. Still, I think Shanghai is a bit more friendly, and only a bit, than Tokyo, but other parts of China are undoubtedly more friendly, open and comfortable, more like Philippines than like Korea or Japan.

Who knows? I heard it's business as usual in Tokyo, but I personally won't be going there to find out. Anything I ever wanted to do there can be done from here and sold there via internet. I don't need to physically be there. The fact that I already spoke the language was a factor too, but I am getting the hang of Chinese little by little. The comics and animation were also important, but the industries have really gone downhill lately, and everything is available online now anyway. The thing I miss most is super fast internet, but if that was my primary goal, I would go to Korea, not Japan.
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

Terrence wrote:Don't believe what you read about Fukushima. My opinion, and it is just that, is that all this talk of safe levels and things being "under control, is utter nonsense. The fact that many radiation monitoring stations both in Japan and around the world are shutting down or experience technical difficulties or are in need of maintenance is very suspicious. They don't want anyone to know what the real levels of radiation damage are. Even in the US, radiation monitoring is running into problems or the institutions have better things to do. I believe, and this is just my belief, that the radiation levels are deadly and have spread far beyond Fukushima. Unless I see conclusive proof to the contrary, my plans on living in Japan are finished.
I agree with you. This nuclear disaster caused by the man-made earthquake and tsunami kills a couple birds with one stone for them.

A) The elites want us to return back to the stone age, by relying on useless wind power. The future will be full of power cuts, sacrifice (their words), and all that good stuff. They've created this bogus "climate change" via "carbon emissions", and nuclear power was our one viable option for being "green" AND actually making enough power. They can (and are) using this as an excuse worldwide to not only shut down old reactors but to eliminate the building of future nuclear plants as an option (India & China not withstanding).

B) It harms our health (us here on the west coast of North America as well).

C) It scares the shit out of us. Seems like every month there is a new disaster, a new fear-based mind control program. Although most of those are pure bluffs (dramatizations, if not completely made-up news all together). This one actually affects our well-being. Still I'm sure watching tv compromises your immune system much more than some radiation in the water supply.

I will say though that China's big cities aren't exactly known for being good for your health. I'd feel much healthier in southern Japan like Okinawa than anywhere in China.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Hook wrote:What happened to the girl you were with in Washington, Etc? She looks like she is in good shape. If she was willing to travel with you, she must have liked you.
What happened with her is explained in my story here:

http://www.happierabroad.com/MyStory.htm

Well we only traveled a few times. She didn't enjoy it as much as I did, cause she was not a traveler or explorer at heart, but more of a homebody who lived for work and routine. Routine was her comfort zone. She does not like to live outside of her hometown area either.

newlife
Freshman Poster

Post by newlife »

I live in pattaya, thailand. i love it here.

it's not as run down as angeles city. the food is way better. you can find very cheap accomodation. there are hundreds
of bars & gogo bars spread over town. the prices for girls is a little higher, but not too much. not as many scammers.

but as usual, every place has it's drawbacks.

i don't like living in big cities. small cities or coastal resorts do it for me.

i'd love to move to bali indonesia, but the girls request larger pay packets over there. :roll:
pete98146
Experienced Poster

Post by pete98146 »

newlife wrote:I live in pattaya, thailand. i love it here.

it's not as run down as angeles city. the food is way better. you can find very cheap accomodation. there are hundreds
of bars & gogo bars spread over town. the prices for girls is a little higher, but not too much. not as many scammers.

i don't like living in big cities. small cities or coastal resorts do it for me.

i'd love to move to bali indonesia, but the girls request larger pay packets over there. :roll:
Pattaya wouldn't be a bad choice if you lived out of town a bit. I've been a few times and I've always managed to zip over to Koh Larn for an overnight stay. It's lovely over there.

But is Winston ready to ditch Dianne and baby and leave Philippines in the rear view mirror? Good news I guess is that Thailand to Phils is only a 3 hours away by plane. My guess is that Winston is not ready to move so I would encourage him to move to Baguio. He's complained about the heat before and Bags is a lot cooler and less seedier than AC.

Chiang Mai Thailand would also be a nice place to live IMHO.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

newlife wrote:I live in pattaya, thailand. i love it here.

Oh you live there? How do you stay there long term? What kind of visa do you use? I heard that you can't extend a tourist visa there like you can in the PI.

What are the average prices of hotels? I mean not fancy ones, just basic and clean with all amenities.

Someone told me that the barfine there was $100. Is that true? If so, that sucks. Even Europe is cheaper for a bang.

I heard that it's easy for a Filipina to get a tourist visa there though.