Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Why I'm tired of living in Angeles City, where to move to?

Ask questions and get advice, or share advice. Disclaimer: Any advice you take here is at your own risk. We are not liable for any consequences you might incur from following someone's advice here.
Note: Before posting your question, do a search for it in the Google Search box at the top to see if it's already been addressed.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

3 questions

Postby Winston » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:07 am

Question # 1:

Right now, I've saved up about $12,000 dollars from work and website income, and also have a steady $500 dollars a month coming in from my website income.

Should I:
1) Travel around and have fun now, while looking for a better place to live?
2) Work on increasing my online passive income with more web projects and promotions?
3) Look for freelancing jobs to earn more money?

What do you think?

Question # 2:

When I move from my apartment in Angeles City, what do all I do about the appliances I bought, and small furniture? Should I give them away or try to sell them? The owner is poor, he claims (even though his wife is a nurse), so I doubt he would have the money to buy them off me. I do know some Taiwanese folks around here that I could give my furniture, aircon and appliances to, who may take them.

When people rent an empty apartment and buy furnishings, how do they normally get rid of them? It's just a painful tedious process, and with my low energy and fatigue/sickness problems in Angeles, it makes it even harder for me to deal with and concentrate on. Making decisions and organizing things requires mental alertness and concentration, and I barely have energy for that. So what should I do? How is this normally done?

In the US, my ex-girlfriend's family did it all. They drove up as a group in a van and donated/moved furniture into our apartment, and out of it the following year. I didn't have to do or decide much. They had it all covered. No such luxury here.

Question # 3:

This one hasn't been answered yet. How come people like Rock and Ladislav don't get sick in Angeles, but I do? How do they tolerate the heat, humidity and pollution? Why am I different than everyone? Angeles and Manila are all concrete and pollution. There is nothing fresh or natural there. Everything is artificial and commercial. Thus, it's no surprise that no expat/travel website recommends living in Manila or Angeles City. They are simply not nice places to live - at all, period.

Btw, my health was not inherently bad before. When I was in the US, I only got sick once every three years, and rarely went to the doctor. So the environment is definitely a factor. (But of course, I could never get any sex in the US. lol) Keep that in mind. My chi energy has always been good and flowed well throughout my body. However, in Angeles the energy/vibe also seem toxic and draining to my body's energy. I don't know why. But besides the heat, humidity and pollution, the energy vibe here also seems toxic as well. So it's not just the physical conditions. I know not all of you are attuned to vibes/energy, but that's the best way I can put it.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby steve55 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:41 am

Well just dont take off before Darrenfw and I get there! LOL.

Yea, AC is a shit hole, dont blame ya for wanting out.
* Member of the Happier Abroad Team and Owner of Global Dating Solution
steve55
Junior Poster

Re: 3 questions

Postby Rock » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:24 am

Winston wrote:Question # 1:

Right now, I've saved up about $12,000 dollars from work and website income, and also have a steady $500 dollars a month coming in from my website income.

Should I:
1) Travel around and have fun now, while looking for a better place to live?
2) Work on increasing my online passive income with more web projects and promotions?
3) Look for freelancing jobs to earn more money?

What do you think?

Question # 2:

When I move from my apartment in Angeles City, what do all I do about the appliances I bought, and small furniture? Should I give them away or try to sell them? The owner is poor, he claims (even though his wife is a nurse), so I doubt he would have the money to buy them off me. I do know some Taiwanese folks around here that I could give my furniture, aircon and appliances to, who may take them.

When people rent an empty apartment and buy furnishings, how do they normally get rid of them? It's just a painful tedious process, and with my low energy and fatigue/sickness problems in Angeles, it makes it even harder for me to deal with and concentrate on. Making decisions and organizing things requires mental alertness and concentration, and I barely have energy for that. So what should I do? How is this normally done?

In the US, my ex-girlfriend's family did it all. They drove up as a group in a van and donated/moved furniture into our apartment, and out of it the following year. I didn't have to do or decide much. They had it all covered. No such luxury here.

Question # 3:

This one hasn't been answered yet. How come people like Rock and Ladislav don't get sick in Angeles, but I do? How do they tolerate the heat, humidity and pollution? Why am I different than everyone? Angeles and Manila are all concrete and pollution. There is nothing fresh or natural there. Everything is artificial and commercial. Thus, it's no surprise that no expat/travel website recommends living in Manila or Angeles City. They are simply not nice places to live - at all, period.

Btw, my health was not inherently bad before. When I was in the US, I only got sick once every three years, and rarely went to the doctor. So the environment is definitely a factor. (But of course, I could never get any sex in the US. lol) Keep that in mind. My chi energy has always been good and flowed well throughout my body. However, in Angeles the energy/vibe also seem toxic and draining to my body's energy. I don't know why. But besides the heat, humidity and pollution, the energy vibe here also seems toxic as well. So it's not just the physical conditions. I know not all of you are attuned to vibes/energy, but that's the best way I can put it.

Important preliminary question: Do you plan on taking Diane with you if you re-locate? If so, I would restrict my scope of consideration to the PI. Trying to take her overseas will likely prove to be complicated and expensive. Keep things simple as possible.

As for Question 1, I recommend 2 (increase passive online income) combined with 3. US$12K is not much money and will be gone before you know it if you take a big travel break now. Ideally, and with a lot more work and perhaps some promotion and advertising (from that US$12K), you could get boost your passive online income to US$1,500-2,000. Once you get to that level, it will be a lot easier to travel I believe.

Question 2: The easiest thing would be to just leave everything to your landlord if you plan on giving it away anyhow. Another possibility to consider would be subletting your place furnished to other expats. I did this in Taipei with an apartments after I moved-out and made NT$6,000 per month in excess rent (furnished price premium). After a couple of years, all of my appliances and furnishings were paid for twice over. And they were still in good condition so I was able to make further use of them.

Question 3: Really don't know the answer. Everyone is unique and sensitive to different things. For example, Momopi told me that Taipei's air pollution was too much for him to handle, at least when he left. But the air seems pretty clean to me, especially after visiting places like Angeles. My gf is hypersensitive to all kinds of things which don't phase me - cockroaches, dust in the air, tiny amounts of dirt on floors, tables, etc., germs, etc. On the other hand, I am most sensitive to noise pollution and have a hard time concentrating with very much background noise, talking, TV, or music.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Winston » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:51 am

Rock,
Well I've traveled for 8 months in Russia and spent only 5000 dollars. So I can stretch a dollar well. Remember I don't do expensive things and I stay in 20 dollar a night hotels. So 12k can go a long way, if you're efficient and not wasteful. I also use CouchSurfing.org and HospitalityClub.org, which save me a lot of money too.

Plus I have 500 usd a month coming in too, which is a lot here considering that most people here make less than a third of that, and nurses only make 9000p a month (or $210) before taxes.

Don't forget that if I did 2 and 3, it'd be difficult cause I'm constantly tired and unable to focus here, due to health problems and constant fatigue. Plus I've been doing that since 2007 and badly need a break. So why not do a little of all three?

What does subletting mean? You mean rent out to other expats? The owner won't let me do that. I'm not allowed to make a deal with other expats. My place is not fully furnished. It just has some basic appliances.

Yeah Taipei's pollution is not bad. It's ok. Angeles is far worse. I wonder how Momopi would feel if he were here in Angeles. lol

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Winston » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:24 pm

This might explain why I feel fatigued in the Philippines?

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _87854525/

Researchers aren't sure why humidity appears to increase aches. However, they do know why hot, humid days can cause fatigue. Normally, your body perspires to cool you down when temperatures are high, according to Malek. But if the humidity is also high, you're trapped in a moist environment where your sweat can't evaporate and escape from your skin. This causes you to expend extra energy, which can leave you feeling sluggish or fatigued.

If so, how come other people in Angeles don't complain about fatigue? And how come they don't want to talk about it when I bring it up?

Winston
Site Admin

Postby gits » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:28 pm

I don't have time to read the other comments ( i will later) but I've heard some good things about CEBU city and the fact that it's becoming a growing English learners city, so you can teach English (which is what I do in Taiwan) I'd be interested to read more comments about this.

I went to Boracay recently and wasn't impressed at all, however, perhaps you could move to B, and open a small restaurant or guest house.
Gits Ferrari's Latest Blog: Horny Guy in Taipei http://hornyguyintaipei.blogspot.tw/

Not SARS Just Sex! - The Kindle Edition! $5.99
http://www.amazon.com/SARS-Just-White-M ... s+just+sex

The Oil Sands of Alberta - The Kindle Edition! $5.99
http://www.amazon.com/The-Oil-Sands-Alb ... of+alberta
gits
Freshman Poster

Postby Winston » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:36 pm

gits wrote:I don't have time to read the other comments ( i will later) but I've heard some good things about CEBU city and the fact that it's becoming a growing English learners city, so you can teach English (which is what I do in Taiwan) I'd be interested to read more comments about this.

I went to Boracay recently and wasn't impressed at all, however, perhaps you could move to B, and open a small restaurant or guest house.

I heard Cebu is cleaner than Manila, but it's an expensive place to live.

Why weren't you impressed with Boracay? Was it all hype? Was it as nice as in the pictures?

Who did you go with? Were the girls approachable there?

I wouldn't want to open a local restaurant or guest house. That would tie me to the place and restrict my freedom. Plus you'd have to put the business in someone else's name, which is risky.

Winston
Site Admin

Postby Rock » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Winston wrote:Rock,
Well I've traveled for 8 months in Russia and spent only 5000 dollars. So I can stretch a dollar well. Remember I don't do expensive things and I stay in 20 dollar a night hotels. So 12k can go a long way, if you're efficient and not wasteful. I also use CouchSurfing.org and HospitalityClub.org, which save me a lot of money too.

Plus I have 500 usd a month coming in too, which is a lot here considering that most people here make less than a third of that, and nurses only make 9000p a month (or $210) before taxes.

Don't forget that if I did 2 and 3, it'd be difficult cause I'm constantly tired and unable to focus here, due to health problems and constant fatigue. Plus I've been doing that since 2007 and badly need a break. So why not do a little of all three?

What does subletting mean? You mean rent out to other expats? The owner won't let me do that. I'm not allowed to make a deal with other expats. My place is not fully furnished. It just has some basic appliances.

Yeah Taipei's pollution is not bad. It's ok. Angeles is far worse. I wonder how Momopi would feel if he were here in Angeles. lol

OK. Just keep in mind that the US$ was a lot stronger when you were in Russia than it is now.

Anyway, what I mean was that you could relocate within the PI (perhaps to one of the places you visited recently) for the sake of your health and focus on growing your online into a consistent US$1,000+ (or perhaps we'd better say NT$30,000+) monthly cash generator.

If you go abroad take Diane goes with you, the money will go a lot faster with double everything - flights, food, and overland travel. Plus, won't couch-surfing be more challenging as a couple?
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Spend a few days meditating on the issue-

Postby AsiaBill » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Break down your priorities; I had this same feeling or issue in my late 20s so broke it down to the basics. There are only 3 reason why ANYONE chooses to live ANYWHERE.
1) Friends, family , loved ones
2) Ambition financial rewards or opportunities or career choice
3) Geography / Climate / natural beauty or healthy environment for body and mind
Rarely can anyone make all three a "10" choice on a scale one to ten but 2 out of 3 is better than most people.
Myself I always chose the latter 2 because friends come and go and family and real friends can be kept in touch with and visited from time to time

I usually advise newbies planning to re-locate to the Philippines to choose 5 or 6 places all over the islands with different environments climates and social scenes, spend from 1 week to 6 weeks in each location before choosing a place to rent long term or settle down creating one own habitat. Myself I need to social stimulation of foreigners so one of the most popular of the 12 tourist destinations would be where I'd begin exploring. 8) :?
Life is Short! Traveling and the people you meet and experiences you have "on the road" will enhance your life forever so GO FOR IT! Feel FREE to ask me Questions about living and traveling in Asia & the Philippines.
AsiaBill
Freshman Poster

Re: Spend a few days meditating on the issue-

Postby Winston » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:12 pm

AsiaBill wrote:Break down your priorities; I had this same feeling or issue in my late 20s so broke it down to the basics. There are only 3 reason why ANYONE chooses to live ANYWHERE.
1) Friends, family , loved ones
2) Ambition financial rewards or opportunities or career choice
3) Geography / Climate / natural beauty or healthy environment for body and mind
Rarely can anyone make all three a "10" choice on a scale one to ten but 2 out of 3 is better than most people.
Myself I always chose the latter 2 because friends come and go and family and real friends can be kept in touch with and visited from time to time

I usually advise newbies planning to re-locate to the Philippines to choose 5 or 6 places all over the islands with different environments climates and social scenes, spend from 1 week to 6 weeks in each location before choosing a place to rent long term or settle down creating one own habitat. Myself I need to social stimulation of foreigners so one of the most popular of the 12 tourist destinations would be where I'd begin exploring. 8) :?

So the ease of getting sex or dates, or meeting approachable women, isn't one of the main reasons? :)

Winston
Site Admin

Postby Winston » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:16 pm

Rock wrote:OK. Just keep in mind that the US$ was a lot stronger when you were in Russia than it is now.

Anyway, what I mean was that you could relocate within the PI (perhaps to one of the places you visited recently) for the sake of your health and focus on growing your online into a consistent US$1,000+ (or perhaps we'd better say NT$30,000+) monthly cash generator.

If you go abroad take Diane goes with you, the money will go a lot faster with double everything - flights, food, and overland travel. Plus, won't couch-surfing be more challenging as a couple?

Well I have to travel first to decide where to live right? I'm getting sick of the PI anyway.

I'm not sure if I would take Dianne or not. She is too attached to our son and can only be away for a few days at a time. Plus she has plans to go to Korea as a singer, which she is training for right now. If that happens, I can only visit her in Korea. lol

And plus, as you said, technically I'm a much better fit in Europe, where you can find plenty of people who like intellectual conversations, and who are far classier too.

Winston
Site Admin

Postby AsiaBill » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:54 pm

Winston maybe you as an aspiring beatnik type freethinker type of dude need to be reminded that YOU are a FATHER and your SON needs YOU as well as his Mother Diane to grow up and develop in a healthy way. That said, Filipina wives/ lovers/ mother of our children are extremely open minded and understanding about their husbands aka men about taking off searching for new opportunities or just traveling solo without their family sowing their 'wild oats" so to speak. I took off march 9 and plan to travel for 8+ months or more, presently here in Armenia. Also before you get too many over powerful "GOD" like feelings about having some extra cash REMIND yourself that even a MILLION BUCKS is NOTHING these days as money is worth nothing and the BEST things in life are FREE. 8) :?
Life is Short! Traveling and the people you meet and experiences you have "on the road" will enhance your life forever so GO FOR IT! Feel FREE to ask me Questions about living and traveling in Asia & the Philippines.
AsiaBill
Freshman Poster

Postby NorthAmericanguy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:57 pm

The_Adventurer wrote:
Winston wrote:Terrence,
You've been to both the Philippines and China right? How would you compare and contrast them?

I didn't have time to write about this yesterday, so I will try today, and hope I finish before my girlfriend finishes preparing lunch and makes me clear out my computer. :)

I don't share ijonh's negative assessment of things or see this as the end of Happier abroad. I see this as simply a matter of arranging priorities to fit your desired life style. Here is what I have learned thinking about comparing Philippines with China.

If you want to live the high life, meaning average western style, middle class, it is expensive just about anywhere. I find it to be a lot more expensive in Philippines that other places like China or even Korea. One reason for that is Philippines has a range from squatter areas up to nice penthouse condos. In China or Korea, the range is a lot smaller.

In Cebu city I lived in a nice tower apartment, mostly western style, but still local construction standards, and no central air. It cost about 20,000 peso per month or $400 at the time. My apartment in Shanghai is about the same, but slightly less, around $380 or so, but quality is so far out of the league of anything I've seen available in Philippines that I think it is actually cheaper her. Of course Shanghai has places that go up into the several thousand dollars per month also, so it depends on what you're looking for.

Here the real issue. As you move towards more local lifestyle, the prices naturally drop. The thing is, in China they drop a lot lower than in Philippines, but the quality still beats even my expensive tower apartment in Cebu. In Cavite city, I lived in a very simple apartment. It was 2 bedroom, no central air, very local standards, but certainly very livable. It cost about 7000 peso per month. Maybe $140 or so. Of course everything broke just about every other month too. In Henan province, in China, my friends had a huge 3 bedroom place. The quality was still up to western standards, only lacking central air. It beat my tower apartment in Cebu, which also lacked central air, by miles in quality. It cost about $180 a month. Aside from not having an elevator to get to the seventh floor, meaning you had to take the stairs every time, it was better than the place I paid $1000 a month for in L.A.!!

That is still not the cheapest place I have seen in China. In Fujian, in the smaller cities like Fuzhou, I noticed that even the so-called poor areas still were clean and had decent looking construction. There weren't people peeing everywhere. NO chickens walking around making noise or street dogs or noisy motorbikes. Seems many ride electric scooters here or use normal pedal bicycles.

Basically you can live a much higher quality of life on the same income in China versus the Philippines. China has so many varieties of foods that you could go for a year and never eat the same thing twice. Food is cheap. EVen in shanghai you can find places where you can eat a lot for a $1. In other cities, it's the norm not the exception.

Now, for those who want all the girls and nightlife, that seems to be expensive here, and there's not as much of it, at least available to foreigners. I haven't been into that scene for years now, but I have heard stories from other folks I talked to and read on the net. Even the filipinas here charge an arm and a leg for short time. There are only a few places that cater to foreigners and the girl to customer ratio seems skewed heavily on the customer side, which means the girls are ridden hard. In the Phils you can easily find bargirls who haven't had a customer for weeks or even months during low seasons, but in China you can expect that every girl services several guys every single day. The cost is also 5X or more what you pay in the Philippines. Even if you go to cheaper cities, being a foreigner, you will still be expected to pay big, even if the local guy in front of you walked out having payed only 200 yuan, or 1500 peso. The foreigner will probably be expected to pay 1000 yuan, or 7000 peso or so.

Normal nightlife, like non P4P stuff, is also expensive in Shanghai but it is awesome anything I found in Philippines. Awesome Jazz bars with real fat black women singing in there and everything! You can find anything as far as food, live music and entertainment, but the price approaches western prices.

The other big hurdle in China is the visa issues. I almost went to jail and payed through the nose to fix my problems in that arena. Now that it is all fixed, though, I am set here for a very long time. Still, you have to overcome that, which may mean you will need a real job, or at least a company willing to sponsor you as though you have one. This would be my biggest problem if I were to stay here and do only my internet business. Of course, if one is willing to marry here, that is no longer a problem.

My conclusion is that, on a budget, you get more out of China, except in the P4P department, if that is your thing. People are not as warm and friendly as the Phils, especially in BSG. In the smaller parts of China, though, I'd say they are neck and neck. Remember, China is HUGE, almost as big as the US in land size. There is somewhere you can find the climate, look, and living style you like and you can do it on a budget. I don't see myself returning to the Philippines personally. There are a couple of things I miss, but far too many things I don't miss. Overall, I feel like China has more to offer. I have yet to see a dirty, urine smelling, chicken filled city, and I have traveled up and down this country visiting both big and small, rich and poor areas. Being hear has made me consider dropping my older goal of finding a life in Japan. (of course recent events there add to that) If I am to be happier abroad, I think right here in China, though probably not in Shanghai, is where I will do it.

+1 And yes, my buddy told me all about the visa issue. He said he almost got into a situation in regards to his visa and almost went to jail.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Re: Happier Abroad, or not?

Postby NorthAmericanguy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Winston wrote:Look at all the nature and fresh air I took for granted when I was in America, in places such as Washington and Utah. To go from this to the highly polluted filthy slum-like Angeles City, with no nice natural place to walk, is a big downgrade in many ways isn't it? Can I really be said to be "Happier Abroad" then, to go from fantastic scenery to slum-like filthy conditions? Makes you wonder... Sometimes life is not so cut and dry, and there is a hidden "other side" to things that you aren't aware of.

In Las Vegas

In the canyons of southern Utah

lol, the picture of you and the girl in Vegas with the clouds on the ceiling I was there myself in 2007.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Postby NorthAmericanguy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:19 pm

The_Adventurer wrote:

Don't believe what you read about Fukushima. My opinion, and it is just that, is that all this talk of safe levels and things being "under control, is utter nonsense. The fact that many radiation monitoring stations both in Japan and around the world are shutting down or experience technical difficulties or are in need of maintenance is very suspicious. They don't want anyone to know what the real levels of radiation damage are. Even in the US, radiation monitoring is running into problems or the institutions have better things to do. I believe, and this is just my belief, that the radiation levels are deadly and have spread far beyond Fukushima. Unless I see conclusive proof to the contrary, my plans on living in Japan are finished.

Smart man. I feel the same way. I have done my own research and it's said that over 1400 radioactive isotopes are spewing out from Fukushima. Just ONE of these isotopes is what they call radioactive iodine so I have been supplementing with iodine to protect my thyroid gland but what about the other 1399 isotopes that I can't protect myself from in addition to plutonium!
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Questions and Advice