Feds approve firm that dishes dirt on applicants

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Feds approve firm that dishes dirt on applicants

Post by Mr S »

Ready for some additional social conditioning?

How anything you've EVER said on the internet could be seen by employers as Feds approve firm that dishes dirt on applicants
Company keeps information on its records for SEVEN YEARS
Uses special software to track down applicants' online pseudonyms
Means social media postings will become regular part of job application process
Government rules company doesn't breach regulations

By FIONA ROBERTS
Last updated at 12:04 PM on 27th June 2011

The Federal Trade Commission has approved a controversial firm which scours social media sites to check on job applicants.
It means anything you've ever said in public on sites including Facebook, Twitter and even Craigslist could be seen by your would-be employer.
The Washington-based commission has ruled the firm, Social Intelligence Corporation, complies with the Fair Credit Reporting Act - even though it keeps the results of its searches on file for seven years.

Dishing the dirt: Social Intelligence Corporation performs background checks by scouring job applicants' social media accounts
It raises the frightening prospect of any social media posting, even it's years old or was meant as a joke, being used in background checks.
Applicants who use online pseudonyms aren't safe, either - the firm uses special software to link those nicknames with real, offline names known to employers.

Controversial: One applicant was turned down for a job after the firm discovered he had joined a group like this on Facebook and ruled he had 'racist tendencies'
The company has defended its policy of keeping the searches on file, saying it's for compliance reasons only.
BIG BROTHER FEARS: SO WHERE DO THEY LOOK?
The firm searches any information which is publicly available online. It includes:
Social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter;
Professional networking sites such as LinkedIn;
Video and photo-sharing sites like Flickr and YouTube;
Commercial sites such as eBay and Craigslist;
Blogs and 'wikis'.
It says the negative findings are not re-used if a new employer runs a check on an applicant.
Its chief operating officer, Geoffrey Andrews, said: 'We are not... building a “database� on individuals that will be evaluated each time they apply for a job and potentially could be used adversely even if they have cleaned up their profiles.'
One of the reports, released to Forbes magazine, flagged an applicant for 'demonstrating potentially violent behaviour' because he'd posted a photograph of him holding a gun on his Facebook account.
Another was flagged for 'illegal activity' after putting an advert on Craigslist searching for the drug Oxycontin.
So far the company says it has found 'negative' online postings in up to 20 per cent of applicants it's been asked to investigate.

Background checks: Max Drucker, the firm's CEO, argues the firm 's methods are fairer than if employers simply Google candidates, which can be discriminatory
Social Intelligence Corp. was founded a year ago, and soon afterwards the Federal Trade Commission began investigating over fears it could be in breach of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
DISHING THE DIRT: SO WHAT DO THEY FIND?
According to Social Intelligence Corporation's chief operating officer:
20 per cent of candidates don't appear on the internet at all;
60 per cent have a neutral or positive online 'footprint';
Up to 20 per cent of candidates have something 'negative' about them on the internet, especially when the pool is younger;
That figure falls to around five per cent for younger candidates.
But the government has now dropped its inquiry, ruling the company is within the rules as long as it lets applicants know whether they failed to get a job as a result of the report.
It also changed the wording on it permission form - which all applicants must sign before the checks are carried out - to make sure they know exactly what will be checked during the review.
Social Intelligence Corp says its reports are fairer than if employers simply Google candidates.
The reports only take into account 'job-threatening' characteristics - such as criminal activity - and does not include personal information, such as sexuality or religion, which an employee legally cannot see.
Applicants can also dispute the report's findings, and the offending record will be deleted if it is found to be incorrect.
Mr Andrews told Forbes: 'I like to think we are providing a service not just by screening for employers, but in helping to protect job applicants by creating a standard process for online background checks and a service that presents them with reports on negative material.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z1QfrIkJUQ
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

While we're on the Jewish topic, it appears that the firm that runs this fascist little enterprise is run by a Jewish CEO. To quote one respondent at the bottom of the article:

"Joseph Stalin would be so very proud of this man's ideals. Stuff like this is the ultimate insult to the all the men and women who died fight against tyranny like the nazis [sic] and USSR."
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Does anyone notice that it is always a jewish person who comes up with stuff like this? Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut wants to have an internet off switch to prevent Americans access whenever the Gov wants to turn it off. They use the same tactics they accuse the Nazis of having used on them, and they see it as perfectly acceptable.
Think Different
Junior Poster

Adama wrote:Does anyone notice that it is always a jewish person who comes up with stuff like this? Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut wants to have an internet off switch to prevent Americans access whenever the Gov wants to turn it off. They use the same tactics they accuse the Nazis of having used on them, and they see it as perfectly acceptable.
It was also the Jooz who overthrew the Czar in Russia and put together the Bolshevik party. Almost all the leading early party members were Jooish, including Beria, who was head of the notorious NKVD, precursor to the KGB.
Think Different
Junior Poster

I just posted this article on my FB page along with the following comment:

"Sorry, but if the US has become so fascist already that people have to play these kinds of games and give up their freedom of speech in order to get a "good job", I would rather pass. I still have principles. These are the same sort of tactics that the Nazis and the Soviet Bloc used. The Founding Fathers must be rolling in their graves."

I got responses back from Americans, such as the following:

"Oh boy I know some people who are in a lot of trouble..."
"yup, and if people only knew that this is the reason some don't get the job they want......."

...and other forms of pretty much "shut up and don't say such things on here". I pretty much have no more faith that the American people have the brains or the guts to stand up for their country. They're already bent over the barrel and are willing to take it up the tailpipe from the fascists running the government, the Fed, and Wall Street, just to barely hope to hang on to their jobs, their slice of the American pie, etc. Don't they realize that their will eventually be eaten too, once their useful idiocy has run its course?

It makes me both made, sad, and sick.
The_Hero_of_Men
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Hero_of_Men »

Think Different wrote:I just posted this article on my FB page along with the following comment:

"Sorry, but if the US has become so fascist already that people have to play these kinds of games and give up their freedom of speech in order to get a "good job", I would rather pass. I still have principles. These are the same sort of tactics that the Nazis and the Soviet Bloc used. The Founding Fathers must be rolling in their graves."

I got responses back from Americans, such as the following:

"Oh boy I know some people who are in a lot of trouble..."
"yup, and if people only knew that this is the reason some don't get the job they want......."

...and other forms of pretty much "shut up and don't say such things on here". I pretty much have no more faith that the American people have the brains or the guts to stand up for their country. They're already bent over the barrel and are willing to take it up the tailpipe from the fascists running the government, the Fed, and Wall Street, just to barely hope to hang on to their jobs, their slice of the American pie, etc. Don't they realize that they will eventually be eaten too, once their useful idiocy has run its course?

It makes me both made, sad, and sick.

Personally, I am somewhat aware of what's going on, even though I do not know how deep the rabbit hole truly goes. The best I can do is to look out for #1 (myself). I know that may sound selfish, but the thing is: in this world, no matter who says that they are on your side (whether legitimate or not), ultimately, the only one that can help you is YOURSELF.

I do not mean to sound like a selfish, cold-blooded monster here, but that is something I had to learn the hard way, in recent years.
Wielding the blade of evil's bane, he sealed the dark one away and gave the land light. This man, who traveled through time to save the land, was known as the Hero of Men. The man's tale was passed down through generations until it became legend...
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

The_Hero_of_Men wrote:Personally, I am somewhat aware of what's going on, even though I do not know how deep the rabbit hole truly goes. The best I can do is to look out for #1 (myself). I know that may sound selfish, but the thing is: in this world, no matter who says that they are on your side (whether legitimate or not), ultimately, the only one that can help you is YOURSELF.

I do not mean to sound like a selfish, cold-blooded monster here, but that is something I had to learn the hard way, in recent years.
And you help yourself by refusing, not going along with shit like this.
Adama wrote:Does anyone notice that it is always a jewish person who comes up with stuff like this? Senator Joe Lieberman of Connecticut wants to have an internet off switch to prevent Americans access whenever the Gov wants to turn it off. They use the same tactics they accuse the Nazis of having used on them, and they see it as perfectly acceptable.
The Jews meaning the people with names like Bornstein or Goldvarg who religiously follow the Torah/Talmud/Kabbalah, etc and mutilate their penises... are the visible representatives but are they really in control? All the heads of Hollywood's studios are Jewish, all the banks are controlled by them, and so on. I know these clowns very well and I believe they are useful idiots who don't question what their elders say and will gladly work toward their own demise. The Jews are frighteningly tribal, and there are many reasons to hate them by virtue of their actions, but I always felt they are there to take the blame, and there are others behind them.

Whether those people behind the obvious Jews and visible Zionists are "Jewish" (at least as much as anyone can be a made-up concept) is quite likely. But they don't mutilate their penises (they aren't part of the slave race). So you could call them the chosen of the chosen people.

A little clue to the families with real power.. figure out why the EU is centered in Brussels, Belgium.

Here's something to think about.

FYI the Vatican is now 100% controlled by Jews and "crypto-Jews", something I don't think Alan Watt admitted.
Heart of Shadows
Freshman Poster

Post by Heart of Shadows »

The_Hero_of_Men wrote: Personally, I am somewhat aware of what's going on, even though I do not know how deep the rabbit hole truly goes. The best I can do is to look out for #1 (myself). I know that may sound selfish, but the thing is: in this world, no matter who says that they are on your side (whether legitimate or not), ultimately, the only one that can help you is YOURSELF.

I'm in agreement.
When the hand stops feeding them and instead bitch slaps them they'll look out for what they want(its best you get a head start).

"You ever get the feeling the world's filling up with bastards? I do. What I want to know is what happens when all the bastards run out of people to crap on? What happens when all that's left in the world is bastards? . . . The golden rule. Screw unto others before they screw unto you."
— William Hoffman (A Place For My Head)
"It is a sign of creeping inner death when we can no longer praise the living."
Eric Hoffer

"If human beings were shown what they're really like, they'd either kill one another as vermin, or hang themselves."
Aldous Huxley