Things you like about USA

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Things you like about USA

Post by odbo »

I've been having the same dilemma as Adama writes here, I can't think of a single positive thing about America.
Adama wrote:I used to think there were positives to living in America. Now I can't think of even one. Most would say the educational system. The student loans you have to take out to get a decent job really do make you a slave. The price of education far outstrips inflation, due to greed and the availability of student loans themselves due to competition of students and government intervention (government insists the price goes up every year in fact). Then when you finally get a job, you'll simply be a disposable commodity to your employer, with no real benefits or time off.

At least in Europe there is some return benefit for the high rate of taxation; if you fall, the government will actually help you. If you fall in the USA and you arent a custodial parent, you'll wind up homeless or in prison.

And as MR.S has said, try skipping out on those student loans, and it is very likely the school will not send transcripts to your prospective employers in the future.
The positive things are very minor and easily outweighed by the bad. Or they are a double-edged sword. One example: America has plenty of parks in every town, and larger state/county "ranch" parks out of town usually up in the mountains where you can hike as well as have a barbecue. But going to these leaves a sour taste in my mouth because public land here is not accessible to civilians. Going to uninhabited land is considered trespassing and you will be treated like a criminal if you do so. I feel like a criminal inside parks sometimes, with all the signs and warnings, and suspicious looks I get from the park ranger because I don't look like a middle-aged Green Peace supporting lesbian with a Subaru. It's interesting how your taxes pay for people to guard empty land that no one uses. And no there are animals on this land that need to be protected from humans, just a couple of gophers. And you can't buy any piece of land up there because wealthy families already bought up huge chunks of it decades ago when it was dirt cheap. In conclusion, you can't say we have it better than other countries because our wealthy and benevolent state government provides us with parks, when people in more free societies don't need parks to be able to enjoy nature. So in this sense one positive thing about the USA might actually be a negative.

Please post anything positive about living in the USA or Canada!
Last edited by odbo on October 8th, 2011, 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

The postal system is more reliable than most third world countries. I still maintain an American PO Box, because the Mexican postal system is useless. You can buy used books on Amazon.com USA really cheap. When I lived in the Netherlands, I would order English books from Amazon.com England, but they didn't have the cheap used books option. Although this issue is going away with the kindle. When I lived in Houston, they had the nicest health club I have ever been in, haven't found anything like it in other countries. Being around people who speak English becomes a convenience. It just makes things easier. The portions of food served in restaurants is generally much more than other countries (which is why Americans are fat). The Walmarts are well stocked and you don't really need to go anywhere else. Even the Walmart is Mexico doesn't compare to the variety in the US. Electronics is usually cheaper.
thecobra2
Freshman Poster

Post by thecobra2 »

The only two things I can think of (and only Canadians would appreciate) are NHL Hockey and CFL football. However, I can download both of these for free over the internet but it still doesn't beat the live experience (or associated riots after we lose big games <-------f***ing CANADIANS PISS ME OFF!).
Think Different
Junior Poster

Post by Think Different »

MrPeabody wrote:The postal system is more reliable than most third world countries. I still maintain an American PO Box, because the Mexican postal system is useless. You can buy used books on Amazon.com USA really cheap. When I lived in the Netherlands, I would order English books from Amazon.com England, but they didn't have the cheap used books option. Although this issue is going away with the kindle. When I lived in Houston, they had the nicest health club I have ever been in, haven't found anything like it in other countries. Being around people who speak English becomes a convenience. It just makes things easier. The portions of food served in restaurants is generally much more than other countries (which is why Americans are fat). The Walmarts are well stocked and you don't really need to go anywhere else. Even the Walmart is Mexico doesn't compare to the variety in the US. Electronics is usually cheaper.
Sure, but why do Americans always associate "going overseas" with going to 3rd world locations? There are LOTS of very nice countries Americans can go to to improve their life. We don't have to go live in a grass hut in Africa, you know. I take your point about conveniences, but life is slower elsewhere and Kindle (and its ilk) is a gamechanger. Who wants to lug around heavy books all over the world, anyhow (speaking from experience). The US has its pluses, for sure, but for those who grew up in 1st world conditions and are seeing that degrade into something worse, why not seek a better life elsewhere? For those coming from 3rd world dirt-floor conditions, I'm sure the US is paradise. It's a matter of perspective and what you're used to and what you expect out of life.
Last edited by Think Different on July 7th, 2011, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

1) Efficiency of services. 2) Ethnic restaurants/stores from all countries. 3) Easy credit- enabled me to do so many things- I don't care what people say about credit - to me it's been a wonder. 4) Clean cities and clean water. 5)Great infrastructure. 6) Reliable and serious people ( in business) and the work ethics . 7) The can do attitude and confidence. 8) The availability of products.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

noise ordinances
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Post by MrPeabody »

O, I forgot no-smoking laws. Sometimes living in a fascist state has its advantageous.
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Re: Things you like about USA

Post by OutWest »

I have spent well more than a decade overseas, and I notice long term expats tend to have
a more nuanced view of all this. As much as it has degraded, there are still many things
that are good in the USA.

I still meet men with whom I can do business on a handshake. Gun ownership is still relatively
free( and I have a small armory) . Free speech still dominates- many of the elements
the Bill of Rights are not enjoyed in most of Europe to the degree they are in the USA.

Live outside the USA for some years...it helps keep things in perspective.,
Unfortunately, many of the best things in the USA are residual in nature.
The current leadership and that dating back years has been busy degrading
the culture and political institutions as fast as they can manage, and the
culture itself is increasingly base and harsh. Half the population seems likel
vacant souls...nobody is home

And unless things change, the quality of women in the USA is the harbinger
of things to come- but it is not just the women, it the men as well. The USA
is becoming a nation of she-prics and he-bitches.

It will take time, but unless things change, the writing is on the wall for the USA.
In the mean-time, there are still good things to be had if you pick and choose.

Outwest
Misamis Oriental, Mindanao
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster

Re: Things you like about USA

Post by MrPeabody »

OutWest wrote:I have spent well more than a decade overseas, and I notice long term expats tend to have
a more nuanced view of all this. As much as it has degraded, there are still many things
that are good in the USA.

I still meet men with whom I can do business on a handshake. Gun ownership is still relatively
free( and I have a small armory) . Free speech still dominates- many of the elements
the Bill of Rights are not enjoyed in most of Europe to the degree they are in the USA.

Live outside the USA for some years...it helps keep things in perspective.,
Unfortunately, many of the best things in the USA are residual in nature.
The current leadership and that dating back years has been busy degrading
the culture and political institutions as fast as they can manage, and the
culture itself is increasingly base and harsh. Half the population seems likel
vacant souls...nobody is home

And unless things change, the quality of women in the USA is the harbinger
of things to come- but it is not just the women, it the men as well. The USA
is becoming a nation of she-prics and he-bitches.

It will take time, but unless things change, the writing is on the wall for the USA.
In the mean-time, there are still good things to be had if you pick and choose.

Outwest
Misamis Oriental, Mindanao

Where I live now in Mexico, I can get the advantages of both countries and avoid the bad stuff. I am an hour from the border, and with a Sentry Pass, the border crossing is no longer an ordeal. I can get my mail from a US Post Office Box, have my bank in the US, and buy things I can’t get in Mexico and bring them back.
well-informed
Freshman Poster

Post by well-informed »

Also if you like your privacy, then the US is perfect for that person. Although being a loner will eventually decay your soul from the inside
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

This thread is depressing me just from reading its posts. *sorry for having a troll moment*

Take heed to our creed: Happier Abroad > Happier Domestically
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Some Moroccans I knew said the reason they came to the US was so that they could keep their businesses open longer hours. Other countries regulate hours so that commerce doesn't overwhelm the culture and employers don't abuse employees with all part-time gigs.

I prefer US food, though I have a very unadventurous palate. Eating well is the main problem when I go abroad. And yes, god bless the nanny state, because I have really come to appreciate no-smoking laws. It's hard to go anywhere here in Prague without sucking up a lot of cigarette smoke.

As for more free speech in the US, I'm not seeing it. Tocqueville said Americans had the least free speech of any country because majority opinion was such a effective censor. Check today's news -- a seasoned old vet of American politics working for the Pawlenty campaign made the statement that among other assets Michelle Bachman would be tough to beat in Iowa because of her sex appeal. Oh the uproar and indignation. The aide was forced to apologize by Pawlenty and all the other self-appointed censors of Schoolmarm Nation. Speech is generally free in the US, as long as you don't say anything that's true.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

well-informed wrote:Also if you like your privacy, then the US is perfect for that person. Although being a loner will eventually decay your soul from the inside
Yeah, America is a great place to live if you like your privacy. Nobody will talk to you or acknowledge your existence. Most people don't talk to their neighbors and of course people don't talk to strangers either.
"When I think about the idea of getting involved with an American woman, I don't know if I should laugh .............. or vomit!"

"Trying to meet women in America is like trying to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphics."
OutWest
Veteran Poster

Post by OutWest »

gsjackson wrote:Some Moroccans I knew said the reason they came to the US was so that they could keep their businesses open longer hours. Other countries regulate hours so that commerce doesn't overwhelm the culture and employers don't abuse employees with all part-time gigs.

I prefer US food, though I have a very unadventurous palate. Eating well is the main problem when I go abroad. And yes, god bless the nanny state, because I have really come to appreciate no-smoking laws. It's hard to go anywhere here in Prague without sucking up a lot of cigarette smoke.

As for more free speech in the US, I'm not seeing it. Tocqueville said Americans had the least free speech of any country because majority opinion was such a effective censor. Check today's news -- a seasoned old vet of American politics working for the Pawlenty campaign made the statement that among other assets Michelle Bachman would be tough to beat in Iowa because of her sex appeal. Oh the uproar and indignation. The aide was forced to apologize by Pawlenty and all the other self-appointed censors of Schoolmarm Nation. Speech is generally free in the US, as long as you don't say anything that's true.
You all need to get out more. "Speech Crimes" are becoming statute across Europe, and there have
already been prosecutions for such in Canada.
http://www.internationalfreepresssociet ... t-wilders/

What you say, can put you in Jail in many places. Things said on this forum are "speech crimes" in numbers
of places. Social censure is far different than the cops coming to your door and dragging you away.

Peabody has the right idea...pick and choose the best from wherever you can get it...

Outwest
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

gsjackson wrote:Some Moroccans I knew said the reason they came to the US was so that they could keep their businesses open longer hours. Other countries regulate hours so that commerce doesn't overwhelm the culture and employers don't abuse employees with all part-time gigs..

And you bring up a good point, America is overwhelmed with store fronts, strip malls, business plazas and 24 hour fast food joints/7-11's that burn into night.