Leavers vs. Stayers

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
Taco
Elite Upper Class Poster

Leavers vs. Stayers

Post by Taco »

I think there's some important lessons that can be learned from the recent hurricane "Sandy" that hit New York. Most notably, no matter how bad a situation is some people will never leave. In a way, the hurricane is just a microcosm of US society. Most Americans can see evidence the country is in serious trouble everyday but choose to stay because they live in a state of denial, fear, are unable to think for themselves or simply have to much invested financially to move on.

Leavers vs. Stayers
http://www.businessinsider.com/minds-of ... ed-2012-10
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Leavers vs. Stayers

Post by Jester »

Taco wrote:I think there's some important lessons that can be learned from the recent hurricane "Sandy" that hit New York. Most notably, no matter how bad a situation is some people will never leave. In a way, the hurricane is just a microcosm of US society. Most Americans can see evidence the country is in serious trouble everyday but choose to stay because they live in a state of denial, fear, are unable to think for themselves or simply have to much invested financially to move on.

Leavers vs. Stayers
Generally, sure. But like poor Blacks in New orleans who didn't own cars or who didn't have credit cards etc for a motel, the article says that some folks stayed because it was hard to do anything else:

"One major factor was finances and resources. 'Leavers' usually had the money and transportation options to leave the city, and friends or relatives outside the storm’s path that they could stay with. 'Stayers' usually had less income, fewer or no transportation options to get out of the city, and little to no social network outside of it. Many of those who stayed simply didn’t have the resources to do otherwise and had no choice but to ride things out."

Granted, a slight majority of Americans DO have the resources to leave the U.S. But plenty have that motel problem (that I mentioned above). It's like they can get out of New Orleans, but don't see how they are going to pay for a motel with no job.

I guess we'll be hearing a lot more about Leavers versus Stayers in the next few years, as the tide rises.
Dragon
Junior Poster

Re: Leavers vs. Stayers

Post by Dragon »

Jester wrote:
Taco wrote:I think there's some important lessons that can be learned from the recent hurricane "Sandy" that hit New York. Most notably, no matter how bad a situation is some people will never leave. In a way, the hurricane is just a microcosm of US society. Most Americans can see evidence the country is in serious trouble everyday but choose to stay because they live in a state of denial, fear, are unable to think for themselves or simply have to much invested financially to move on.

Leavers vs. Stayers
Generally, sure. But like poor Blacks in New orleans who didn't own cars or who didn't have credit cards etc for a motel, the article says that some folks stayed because it was hard to do anything else:

"One major factor was finances and resources. 'Leavers' usually had the money and transportation options to leave the city, and friends or relatives outside the storm’s path that they could stay with. 'Stayers' usually had less income, fewer or no transportation options to get out of the city, and little to no social network outside of it. Many of those who stayed simply didn’t have the resources to do otherwise and had no choice but to ride things out."

Granted, a slight majority of Americans DO have the resources to leave the U.S. But plenty have that motel problem (that I mentioned above). It's like they can get out of New Orleans, but don't see how they are going to pay for a motel with no job.

I guess we'll be hearing a lot more about Leavers versus Stayers in the next few years, as the tide rises.
This is true. In New Orleans, most of the middle class and above white people pretty much left the place before Katrina even hit because they heeded the warnings in advance. The ones that stayed were mostly poor blacks. And then came all the lootings and rape that you heard about...
zboy1
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by zboy1 »

Great article Taco. It's just shows you how controlled and dumb-downed Americans have become. Most Americans are sheep for the most part. And guess what that doofus, Mayor Bloomberg is doing in NYC:

Forced Carpooling CAUSES Gridlock in NYC...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYkfK7OPEB0&feature=plcp[/youtube]

He's having police thugs check every damn car heading into Manhattan with checkpoints and closing off lanes, thereby causing massive traffic jams and adding to an already overburdened transportation system that is without train service in most of the city! To me, this smells of a police state, NWO conditioning program if you ask me!
Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on March 26th, 2019, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All_That_Is_Man
Junior Poster

Post by All_That_Is_Man »

It's the burden of having too many possessions (or anchors rather). I'm glad I have sold 95% of everything I own. As I mentioned before, if you can't fit everything you own into two (2) full-size luggage bags and one (1) carry-on, then you have too much baggage (physically and metaphorically). I have no "pride" that keeps me attached to a sinking ship, so to speak. I'm packed and ready to go. File me in the "Leavers" category because this time next week I will not be messaging you boys from America.

:)
"Manginas grovel. Men travel." - me (04/17/2012)

"I used to be one of those men who believed that men are better than women at everything. Then I stood corrected!
Women are better than men at... getting fat." - me (02/24/2013)

Black women suck at life.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

zboy1 wrote:Great article Taco. It's just shows you how controlled and dumb-downed Americans have become. Most Americans are sheep for the most part. And guess what that doofus, Mayor Bloomberg is doing in NYC:

Forced Carpooling CAUSES Gridlock in NYC...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYkfK7OPEB0&feature=plcp[/youtube]

He's having police thugs check every damn car heading into Manhattan with checkpoints and closing off lanes, thereby causing massive traffic jams and adding to an already overburdened transportation system that is without train service in most of the city! To me, this smells of a police state, NWO conditioning program if you ask me!
Thanks for posting this, Z. Another reminder of the sheepifying Amerikan bleakscape.

Up and out.. or bust.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

All_That_Is_Man wrote:It's the burden of having too many possessions (or anchors rather). I'm glad I have sold 95% of everything I own. As I mentioned before, if you can't fit everything you own into two (2) full-size luggage bags and one (1) carry-on, then you have too much baggage (physically and metaphorically). I have no "pride" that keeps me attached to a sinking ship, so to speak. I'm packed and ready to go. File me in the "Leavers" category because this time next week I will not be messaging you boys from America.

:)
[stands to attention and salutes]