Useless American College Degrees

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Last edited by eurobrat on May 24th, 2013, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Anti-American
Freshman Poster

Post by Anti-American »

eurobrat wrote:Guy's your always better off starting from the bottom, working up to the top and then leaving to start your own company.

That's the old fashion American way.
The American way sucks. Anything American sucks.
Anti-American
Freshman Poster

Post by Anti-American »

Someone on YouTube made an excellent comment:
College is definitely over-priced and not for everybody. I'd even say it's not for most people.

Because of the overall failure of our public school system, which lacks market competition and accountability, and the moronic federal student loan programs, college has become a mess.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Good video.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Off topic : Philippines

Post by ladislav »

Ginger wrote:In here you need at least 2 years in college to work as a fastfood crew at McDonald's. You need a college degree to work as a messenger/runner. In here if you graduate with a nursing degree, good luck finding a job answering calls, you'd earn more waiting tables compared to working at the hospital under deplorable conditions.

Conditions are so bad in the job market here to the point that teachers choose to work as maids and domestic helpers overseas, because those jobs pay at least 3x more than what they can get with their degree here. I know someone with an engineering degree working as a janitor. Imagine that.

So I say US is still a lot better :P
US is especially better if you are a Filipino who is straddling two countries- family/house/ ties in the Philippines + a good job making dollars in the USA. Invite family over, get US passports and then retire in the Philippines when you are older with a nice house and all and dollars coming in.

Some are even smarter- they get a US passport and then work in Saudi as " Americans" getting even more money.

Also, nobody hates Filipinos in the US or anywhere else so it is safe for them to travel and work.

Then they are back in RP with dollars, change them to pesos and you are rich. A cheap house, a local car, etc. But what are Americans living in America supposed to convert their dollars into? hu hu hu!

But my question is- not all are in the situation that you described, am I right? Not every engineering graduate becomes a janitor. Not every doctor becomes a cleaner there. And you do not need 2 years of college to work at every fastfood joint. I have known people who got jobs at Jolibee's and Wendy's and they only have HS diplomas and some do not have even that.

I say most Filipinos find jobs in their professions in their country and live normal lives. Otherwise, schools would all close because- no teacher and nothing would get built because all engineers would have left the country. And all the huge hospitals would close as well and the country would come to a screeching halt. Obviously not all Pinoys want to emigrate and most do find jobs that they are more or less happy with.
Last edited by ladislav on November 14th, 2012, 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
C.J.
Experienced Poster

Post by C.J. »

Yep, most colleges are meant to support the higher ups. The few smart kids go off and work for Mr. Goldman Sachs. The rest of the idiots go to college because it means rich mommy and daddy pay hundreds of dollars for educational brainwashing. The majority of certifications are worthless.

Most people don't realize that with great prosperity, comes great poverty. All that money has to go somewhere. That's how you find these "in-demand" jobs. These kinds of jobs pay too damn well and appreciate work experience, but since the requirements are so strict, many people do get recruited straight out of college for them.

So college is a good choice, if you can gain enough education and credentials to get one of those jobs. Problem is you gotta start as early and often as possible, as overpopulation leads to overemployment(like now).
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

-----
Last edited by Ghost on October 22nd, 2016, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Ghost wrote:....I deeply wish to accomplish something, have something which I will have as my life's work.
+1