Any of y'all live in New York City?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Any of y'all live in New York City?

Post by Mr.Darcy »

How do I get an opportunity to move there. I would love to live in Manhattan. I know it is expensive, but I am motivated to do so. Currently I'm an accounting major, but I might switch to finance.
Maverick
Junior Poster

Post by Maverick »

I used to live in the area. Just commute to Manhattan from Astoria, Queens. It's about 30-45 minutes on the subway. Good place to meet girls.
Bane
Freshman Poster

Post by Bane »

In order to ascertain whether or not NYC is a good move for you, I would need to know a little about your personality. I will tell you straight up right now that NYC is not for everybody. If you are a young assertive, hard driving, go-getter extravert, I think you will find that you will fit right in with the general environment and culture in Manhattan. Life in the city is very fast paced and in your face, so if you are not used to that, it can be a huge shock to the system. Life for more laid back, easy going introverts (like myself) can be difficult or impossible to adjust to. Personally, I have found NYC to be the exact polar opposite of what would gel well with my personality traits. My wife feels the same way, and we will both be moving out of the city in 12 days when our apartment lease is up.

Some pros of NYC: Great food, great scenery/historical sites, public transportation, parks. If you are into clubbing (I'm not personally) NYC has some good clubs.

Cons: People here in general are unapproachable. They can come off as rude, obnoxious, and condescending. I will respectfully disagree with Maverick and say that the women here are some of the most unapproachable, even by US standards. My wife and I get told to f-off if we just ask a woman for directions.
"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world." -Oscar Wilde

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability is in the opponent" -Sun Tzu
Herbalist
Freshman Poster

NYC ROCKS!!!

Post by Herbalist »

I disagree with Bane on some points.

However, I think you most definitely do not need to be extroverted to be successful here. However, you must be willing to socialize. I recently moved to NJ from NYC after having lived there 13 years. At the moment I'm thinking of moving overseas to teach English for a year. Before leaving I will without a doubt buy an apartment in the city.

That's how much I love it.

When you get here, yes people have the don't f*ck with me face on. But that's just a front. It's very easy to meet people. Especially women. I randomly start conversations with people while waiting in line at a cafe. Waiting for a light to change. At the bank. Every time I leave the house I meet people. I am very much an introvert. New Yorkers are incredibly friendly and helpful.

Even the off duty cop who just caught you finishing a joint while walking down the street on the LES. For the most part people are cool. Are there assholes? Yeah, some times I'm one of them. A cabbie tries to run the light while you're crossing. Smack the damn hood and tell f*cking watch it next time. You have to be able to stand up for yourself here or you'll get crushed.

My best advice is to start bartending. Just go to a few hundred bars or restaurants over the course of a week or so. You'll get a job. Working 4 days a week you'll clear $800-$1200 a week. Move in with a roommate while you scope out different neighborhoods. Before signing a lease make sure to live in the neighborhood with a roommate first. After a month or two start looking for a "real" job if that's what you want.

In your first 6 months don't turn down any invitations. Birthday party, bat/barmitvah....doesn't matter. Go out. Go easy on the drugs if you're into that scene. Try not to really get involved with the strippers. As a bartender you'll meet a lot of people. Leverage it for all it's worth.

For dating and sex, go to museums and especially art galleries. Most guys sleep on this. You'll be outnumber by women easily. Plus there is usually free booze. If you don't drink be prepared to have people look at you kind of strange. Drinking is a huge part of the social scene here.

If you straight make friends with a couple of gay men and lesbians. Also hang with people from other countries. Get a hobby. Learn Salsa or Bachata. Lots of hot single horny chicks. If you're in your 20's or 30's make friends with a couple people in their 40's and 50's. Initially you want your social network to be really wide. In the second year you can start diving deep.

Any questions about it let me know. It helps if you're driven. But I know and have met enough people who just punch a clock and enjoy their lives. Oh...almost forgot about the parties. The Met Opera has a Young Patron's Program. So does the NY Philharmonic many other such organisations.

Join at least 3. You don't have to do it all at once. Maybe stager it over a few months. This helps with the renewals. You won't have to lay out a few grand all at once. The parties they throw are awesome. The networking opportunities are also incredible. Don't go for the networking. Go to learn something new if you're not into it now. The social contacts will follow later. Just be real chill about it. Also, once ever 2-3 months. Organize a few friends together for an outing. Nothing that requires you to lay out lots of cash. Could be to screen a new movie. See a performance. A gallery opening or a night of dancing. It almost doesn't matter. Go for drinks and food after. You do this and people will extend the same courtesy to you. As a single guy stay away from the bar scene. Make friends with promoters for the club scene if you're into that.

Plus you're bartending....everyone will love you....just remember to wear condoms. And if you get thrown out of a place for having sex in the bathroom. Wait a week or so and go back alone. Any issues apologize.

You can always blame it on the alcohol :wink:
Blake: We're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anybody want to see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired.
Mr.Darcy
Freshman Poster

Post by Mr.Darcy »

Ya I was in NYC for a week staying with a family in Upper East Side and I loved it. I currently live down south in a conservative city and I hate it.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Any of y'all live in New York City?

Post by Winston »

I got a question. Is it true that New Yorkers are more real, sociable and friendly than the Americans on the West Coast? Some of my friends said I would like NYC and East Coast USA better. One girl told me that NYers don't flake on you and if they say they want to hang out, then they will, and they aren't passive aggressive like people in Seattle are. Is that true? If so, then wouldn't they be easier to connect with and relate with? If so, why haven't you guys told me that before? You guys say that the whole USA sucks. Is that true? If so then NYers are like Russians right? More blunt and honest and direct. That's my style. Why didn't any of you tell me that before?

Even in the movies, they show characters saying that New Yorkers are more real than LA people. Therefore, I'm sure the people in NY will also say that they are more real than people in LA right?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: NYC ROCKS!!!

Post by Winston »

Herbalist wrote:
August 1st, 2013, 7:51 am

However, I think you most definitely do not need to be extroverted to be successful here. However, you must be willing to socialize. I recently moved to NJ from NYC after having lived there 13 years. At the moment I'm thinking of moving overseas to teach English for a year. Before leaving I will without a doubt buy an apartment in the city.

When you get here, yes people have the don't f*ck with me face on. But that's just a front. It's very easy to meet people. Especially women. I randomly start conversations with people while waiting in line at a cafe. Waiting for a light to change. At the bank. Every time I leave the house I meet people. I am very much an introvert. New Yorkers are incredibly friendly and helpful.

Even the off duty cop who just caught you finishing a joint while walking down the street on the LES. For the most part people are cool. Are there assholes? Yeah, some times I'm one of them. A cabbie tries to run the light while you're crossing. Smack the damn hood and tell f*cking watch it next time. You have to be able to stand up for yourself here or you'll get crushed.

My best advice is to start bartending. Just go to a few hundred bars or restaurants over the course of a week or so. You'll get a job. Working 4 days a week you'll clear $800-$1200 a week. Move in with a roommate while you scope out different neighborhoods. Before signing a lease make sure to live in the neighborhood with a roommate first. After a month or two start looking for a "real" job if that's what you want.

In your first 6 months don't turn down any invitations. Birthday party, bat/barmitvah....doesn't matter. Go out. Go easy on the drugs if you're into that scene. Try not to really get involved with the strippers. As a bartender you'll meet a lot of people. Leverage it for all it's worth.

For dating and sex, go to museums and especially art galleries. Most guys sleep on this. You'll be outnumber by women easily. Plus there is usually free booze. If you don't drink be prepared to have people look at you kind of strange. Drinking is a huge part of the social scene here.

If you straight make friends with a couple of gay men and lesbians. Also hang with people from other countries. Get a hobby. Learn Salsa or Bachata. Lots of hot single horny chicks. If you're in your 20's or 30's make friends with a couple people in their 40's and 50's. Initially you want your social network to be really wide. In the second year you can start diving deep.

Any questions about it let me know. It helps if you're driven. But I know and have met enough people who just punch a clock and enjoy their lives. Oh...almost forgot about the parties. The Met Opera has a Young Patron's Program. So does the NY Philharmonic many other such organisations.

Join at least 3. You don't have to do it all at once. Maybe stager it over a few months. This helps with the renewals. You won't have to lay out a few grand all at once. The parties they throw are awesome. The networking opportunities are also incredible. Don't go for the networking. Go to learn something new if you're not into it now. The social contacts will follow later. Just be real chill about it. Also, once ever 2-3 months. Organize a few friends together for an outing. Nothing that requires you to lay out lots of cash. Could be to screen a new movie. See a performance. A gallery opening or a night of dancing. It almost doesn't matter. Go for drinks and food after. You do this and people will extend the same courtesy to you. As a single guy stay away from the bar scene. Make friends with promoters for the club scene if you're into that.

Plus you're bartending....everyone will love you....just remember to wear condoms. And if you get thrown out of a place for having sex in the bathroom. Wait a week or so and go back alone. Any issues apologize.

Do you mean if you approach girls in NYC they will talk to you? Really? Using cold approach? Like in the movies? You don't need connections, you can just cold approach like they show in the movies? Do you mean American girls or immigrant girls? Do they flirt back? Aren't they more real and direct? How exactly do you chat up girls there?

Are the bartenders in NY like in that Tom Cruise movie "Cocktail"? That movie made NY look very wild. But it was over the top.

How come movies always have the protagonist living in NY as if everyone lives there? lol. Is it really the center of the world?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Re: NYC ROCKS!!!

Post by Natural_Born_Cynic »

Winston wrote:
May 9th, 2023, 3:23 pm
Herbalist wrote:
August 1st, 2013, 7:51 am

Do you mean if you approach girls in NYC they will talk to you? Really? Using cold approach? Like in the movies? You don't need connections, you can just cold approach like they show in the movies? Do you mean American girls or immigrant girls? Do they flirt back? Aren't they more real and direct? How exactly do you chat up girls there?

Are the bartenders in NY like in that Tom Cruise movie "Cocktail"? That movie made NY look very wild. But it was over the top.

How come movies always have the protagonist living in NY as if everyone lives there? lol. Is it really the center of the world?
What bunch of fantasy nonsense from Herbalist... New York City totally sucks and everything he said is the opposite. If it was that easy then Winston and others would have not written hundreds of threads why America sucks.
Your friendly Neighborhood Cynic!
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

Winston wrote:
May 9th, 2023, 3:19 pm
I got a question. Is it true that New Yorkers are more real, sociable and friendly than the Americans on the West Coast? Some of my friends said I would like NYC and East Coast USA better. One girl told me that NYers don't flake on you and if they say they want to hang out, then they will, and they aren't passive aggressive like people in Seattle are. Is that true? If so, then wouldn't they be easier to connect with and relate with? If so, why haven't you guys told me that before? You guys say that the whole USA sucks. Is that true? If so then NYers are like Russians right? More blunt and honest and direct. That's my style. Why didn't any of you tell me that before?

Even in the movies, they show characters saying that New Yorkers are more real than LA people. Therefore, I'm sure the people in NY will also say that they are more real than people in LA right?
No, New Yorkers are not more real, sociable and friendly than the Americans on the West Coast. They are just as same as the people in the West Coast. New Yorkers are rude arrogant backstabbing obnoxious a$$holes. How do I know? Because I live near the City and visit there to serve clients for my company.
kangarunner
Experienced Poster

Post by kangarunner »

Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
May 9th, 2023, 6:28 pm
No, New Yorkers are not more real, sociable and friendly than the Americans on the West Coast. They are just as same as the people in the West Coast. New Yorkers are rude arrogant backstabbing obnoxious a$$holes. How do I know? Because I live near the City and visit there to serve clients for my company.
New Yorkers from what I've heard are more direct, assertive, and brutally honest than people from "laid back, cool" California.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FNHSiPFtvA

Big booty hunter. I'm out hunting for the booty.
Natural_Born_Cynic
Veteran Poster

kangarunner wrote:
May 10th, 2023, 1:23 am
Natural_Born_Cynic wrote:
May 9th, 2023, 6:28 pm
New Yorkers from what I've heard are more direct, assertive, and brutally honest than people from "laid back, cool" California.
No they are not.. where you hear that? Some are and some are not. However, New Yorkers are universally known to be rude, arrogant, and not laid back. New Yorkers are more like your "Your not that guy video". I don't understand why all the sudden Winston have fascination with New York and the East Coast... They are all the same part of America except different environment. :?

Typical New Yorker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WggbJDM ... nnel=dswdg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMb56Rr ... MadMaxxxTV