Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

What do you think of the SF Bay Area?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Re: What do you think of the SF Bay Area?

Postby gsjackson » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:24 am

Winston wrote:Have you even been in this area?

"Didn't you read," oh rigorous intellect? I said I lived in Marin County. For five years. That would be right across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco, in case you're not familiar with it. I've heard east Bay people are very provincial, but I would have thought they knew where Marin County is. Then again, I recall reading years ago about a high school graduate in San Francisco who didn't know where the Pacific Ocean was.

As for my reading comprehension of your random opinionizing, you spoke of "the Bay Area," and did not distinguish the suburbs from San Francisco. Most people think of San Francisco as being in the San Francisco Bay area.

You're entitled to your opinion about the beauty of the place. I love the golden hills (which of course turn green when the rains come in the fall, winter and spring). And apparently a lot of Californians have over the years as well, since they nicknamed it "the golden state."
gsjackson
Experienced Poster

Postby Winston » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:04 pm

gsjackson wrote:

"Didn't you read," oh rigorous intellect? I said I lived in Marin County. For five years. That would be right across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco, in case you're not familiar with it. I've heard east Bay people are very provincial, but I would have thought they knew where Marin County is. Then again, I recall reading years ago about a high school graduate in San Francisco who didn't know where the Pacific Ocean was.

As for my reading comprehension of your random opinionizing, you spoke of "the Bay Area," and did not distinguish the suburbs from San Francisco. Most people think of San Francisco as being in the San Francisco Bay area.

You're entitled to your opinion about the beauty of the place. I love the golden hills (which of course turn green when the rains come in the fall, winter and spring). And apparently a lot of Californians have over the years as well, since they nicknamed it "the golden state."

Sorry if I offended you. Didn't mean to. I just thought it was pompous for you to insinuate that your one experience with hippies in SF during the 60's invalidates all of my experiences in the 80's and 90's in the Bay Area and my observations today. That didn't make sense. So I took offense. This is very personal to me since I received a lot of emotional scars here.

You should watch the TV series "The Streets of San Francisco". It makes SF look very exciting and friendly. The women look beautiful and feminine in it too. But the plots are formulaic and cliched. Cop shows always have predictable endings too. But Michael Douglas and Karl Malden were great characters in the show.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby gsjackson » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:17 pm

Winston wrote:
gsjackson wrote:

Sorry if I offended you. Didn't mean to. I just thought it was pompous for you to insinuate that your one experience with hippies in SF during the 60's invalidates all of my experiences in the 80's and 90's in the Bay Area and my observations today. That didn't make sense. So I took offense. This is very personal to me since I received a lot of emotional scars here.

You should watch the TV series "The Streets of San Francisco". It makes SF look very exciting and friendly. The women look beautiful and feminine in it too. But the plots are formulaic and cliched. Cop shows always have predictable endings too. But Michael Douglas and Karl Malden were great characters in the show.

I have had no personal experience with hippies in San Francisco in the '60s. As I wrote, my time in the Bay Area involved hanging out with people who ran in the Dipsea and Bay-to-Breakers races, swam in the bay, things like that. Or, living there earlier, playing Little League baseball. As anyone with a scintilla of knowledge about American cultural history knows, however, the Bay Area -- as much Berkeley, San Mateo County and Marin County as San Francisco -- was seen as the epicenter of nonconformist casting off of various conventions in the '60s and '70s. It was the Mecca for free spirits, free speech and "free love." As much as anyplace in the US, it still occupies that place in public consciousness. I would have thought one wouldn't have actually had to be there at the time to know that.

The best -- and probably most famous -- book on the subject is The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test, by Tom Wolfe.

I saw most episodes of Streets of San Francisco when the show came out in the '70s. Bay Area women could be incredibly beautiful in the '70s. No more.
gsjackson
Experienced Poster

Postby Winston » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:02 am

So what happened to all the white people in the Bay Area that were there in the early 80's and comprised the majority population? Where did they go and why?

How did the Bay Area become all Indian and Chinese?

Doesn't this defeat the US liberal propaganda that all races are equal and the same?
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Previous

Return to North America, Domestic Relocation