Mexico City for living there.

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
falcon garson
Freshman Poster

Mexico City for living there.

Post by falcon garson »

Guys, Let me know how is Mexico City to live there? My uncle wants to move there for three years. He has no idea about its rental apartments and weather conditions.
So, Can you brief about what he should be careful?
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Mexico City for living there.

Post by gsjackson »

Never been. The weather's great, smog is bad, as is crime. Apparently you can mostly avoid the crime by being very careful where you go. Last I knew, it was the world's biggest city, so you're going to find a lot of everything.
falcon garson
Freshman Poster

Post by falcon garson »

gsjackson, I have noted your points and will deliver it to my uncle. But I think it's not enough to take a final decision. So, guys I am looking for more suggestions and tips from your side and so sure there will be other guys who like to brief me like gsjackson.
travelsouth
Freshman Poster

Post by travelsouth »

Greetings. I've made many trips to Mexico City. The first trip was to see Teotihuacan and other key landmarks. Bogota is great for the women. But really the only city I've ever fell in love with is Mexico City. Should you move to Mexico City? If you can make money and live in Mexico City I would say yes. If I could make the bacon I probably would have moved to DF myself. The culture and quality of life is there.

You also need to know the city and where to go/stay. I can't imagine the north or east of the city being very fun. But La Condesa and Polanco. Oh yea, it's a great place. Rent wont be cheap..
Tapatio89
Freshman Poster

Post by Tapatio89 »

Hello!!

I can tell you though I am from Guadalajara, I have lived in DF for two years.

*Good things:

*Lots of things to do here.
*Many fashion clothing stores
*Accessible public transportation
*Food is very yummy
*Good looking girls (only in upper class and middle class districts. In Guadalajara, I find much better looking women even in the poorest districts) and good looking street prostitutes (for those who do not want non-committed relationships and usually in Condesa or similar areas).
*Rents are affordable.
*Healthy food MUCH cheaper than in the US

Bad things:

*Smog (I am considering to move to my native Guadalajara or Bajio region as smog there is very little to none)
*Chilangos are freeloaders and take advantage of others.
*Low quality medical public service
*EVERYTHING is VERY SLOWLY done here.
*People are not sraightforward and have a sheepish,submissive herd mentality (very opposite of my mentality).
*Salaries are low (for the average Mexican that is).
MattHanson1990
Junior Poster

Post by MattHanson1990 »

Tapatio89 wrote:
May 3rd, 2016, 1:03 pm
Hello!!

Good things:

*Lots of things to do here.
*Many fashion clothing stores
*Accessible public transportation
*Food is very yummy
*Good looking girls (only in upper class and middle class districts. In Guadalajara, I find much better looking women even in the poorest districts) and good looking street prostitutes (for those who do not want non-committed relationships and usually in Condesa or similar areas).
*Rents are affordable.
*Healthy food MUCH cheaper than in the US
1) Zara is my main favorite fashion clothes store by the way, and I think it's in every mall in CDMX.

2) You have the metro, metrobus, trolley-bus, taxis, and Uber; and Taxify has recently become popular.

3) Unlike most places in Mexico, you get a pretty wide variety regarding world cuisines. But even the mainstream Mexican food is very good. For instance, I really liked eating tacos de costilla at a taqueria in Condesa.

4) Another pro is that there's an Apple store in Via Santa Fe (the most upscale part of Plaza Comercial Santa Fe where there is luxury entertainment and designer stores), and it's the only one in Mexico that has a genius bar. So for those who have a Mac computer, you can take it in for repairs or a diagnosis. I went there towards end of November to get my MacBook Pro fixed; they did a good job repairing and refurbishing it, and they got it repaired ahead of schedule (I picked it up at the beginning of December).

Bad things:

*Smog (I am considering to move to my native Guadalajara or Bajio region as smog there is very little to none)
*Chilangos are freeloaders and take advantage of others.
*Low quality medical public service
*EVERYTHING is VERY SLOWLY done here.
*People are not sraightforward and have a sheepish,submissive herd mentality (very opposite of my mentality).
*Salaries are low (for the average Mexican that is).
5) Pollution is still a problem, just that it's nowhere near as bad as in the 1980s and 1990s.

6) Other cons:
  • Traffic is horrendous much of the time, especially at rush hour
  • The public transportation also gets crowded, and pickpocketing can occur on the metro and metrobus
  • Crime is a problem in the greater metropolitan area in certain municipalities in Mexico state. And sometimes there are highway robberies as major highways pass through some of the municipalities. For example, carretera 57 (Mexico City-Querétaro) has been infamous for robberies at times.
  • Life is very fast-paced, and I would not recommend Mexico City for those who like a more relaxed lifestyle.