Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

US Territories?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

US Territories?

Postby Katmandu » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:24 am

Does anybody here have experience with American Samoa, Guam, Northern Marianas, Puerto Rico or US Virgin Islands? They're part of the USA but do they share the same culture as the rest of the US? I have a family member who is thinking about going to American Samoa so I'm wondering what our outlying territories are like.
Katmandu
Freshman Poster

Re: US Territories?

Postby retiredfrank » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:37 pm

Supposedly, the obesity rate is close to 100% in these places. All they do is eat SPAM (the canned meat product, not junk emails) and other junk food all day, ride around e the tiny island on their motorbikes and watch television. Be careful you're not prone to island fever: I'm quite serious. A man can easily go crazy before the next plane or boat out arrives.
retiredfrank
Freshman Poster

Postby WorldTraveler » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:54 pm

Guam has a many factories that employ foreign workers from Philippines, China, etc. You can date them on their day off. If you're just looking for a vacation go to the source country. Only go the US Territories if you have a job there.
WorldTraveler
Junior Poster

Postby Katmandu » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:13 am

retiredfrank wrote:Supposedly, the obesity rate is close to 100% in these places. All they do is eat SPAM (the canned meat product, not junk emails) and other junk food all day, ride around e the tiny island on their motorbikes and watch television. Be careful you're not prone to island fever: I'm quite serious. A man can easily go crazy before the next plane or boat out arrives.

It sounds miserable but my family member who's thinking about going to one of those islands might be happy there. He gave up on trying to lose weight along time ago and he doesn't go very far from home even though he's more physically active than just watching TV.
Katmandu
Freshman Poster

Postby Wolfeye » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:33 pm

Don't any of the people live traditionally? Or at least eat that way? I'd think the island diet could be very healthy. Where there's a lot of fish & coconuts, that'd be some good situations- especially if you eat the fish Vietcong style (the heads are surprisingly good for you & the meat comes off them like on ribs).
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster

Return to North America, Domestic Relocation