Where are the friendliest places in America?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Where are the friendliest places in America?

Post by jamesbond »

Have any of you guys had good luck meeting women in certain parts of the country than others? How about what cities have been more favorable to meeting women? I read San Antonio and Nashville were rated the friendliest cities in America recently by a survey that was done. I know the pacific northwest is a horrible place to meet women from what other people have said. I also know LA and New York city are not friendly places either. Anybody know of any friendly cities or areas where friendly people and friendly women can be found?
icarus
Freshman Poster

Re: Where are the friendliest places in America?

Post by icarus »

jamesbond wrote:Have any of you guys had good luck meeting women in certain parts of the country than others? How about what cities have been more favorable to meeting women? I read San Antonio and Nashville were rated the friendliest cities in America recently by a survey that was done. I know the pacific northwest is a horrible place to meet women from what other people have said. I also know LA and New York city are not friendly places either. Anybody know of any friendly cities or areas where friendly people and friendly women can be found?
I'm not sure about Nashville, but I would agree San Antonio is a pretty friendly town. Honestly, I haven't been there in a while, but the consensus from most young Texans (in my experience) is that it's a pretty lousy place for young people and the women aren't too hot either. I've also lived in Dallas and Los Angeles and I'm starting to think that there is an inversely proportionate ratio between the attractiveness of a city's residents and its friendliness.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- Albert Einstein
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

I can only comment on places I've been to after I was 21 or so as before that age you can't do shit anyways. San Diego, CA sucked but I was in the Navy and so no one likes military guys there. It might be better if you were not in the military. Phoenix AZ is a pretty good place for meeting and dating people as there are so many people that have moved there from different parts of the country. I think the warm weather also helps people be a bit more friendly. However there is a lot of crime and ghetto Mexicans there so I chose to leave. Seattle area totally sucks, we already know that. I grew up in Northern Mass/Southern NH but I don't know how the dating scene is there as I have never gone back there as a mature adult for any considerable length of time after graduation. These are all places I've lived long term and can comment on. I've visited many other parts of the country but living and visiting there are two different experiences.
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

People say different things. I find girls from Texas to be pretty friendly. But it may just be a front. It doesn't mean that they will be "easy". Southern hospitality is part of the culture.

Austin, Texas is supposed to be very artsy and liberal. But that just means they are more open minded and have a hippie community or artistic community. It doesn't mean it's a great place to get dates.

As to New York, some guys say they do well there. It all depends. But in a big city with lots of people, you should be able to find like-minded people.

The Seinfeld Show made NYC look like it was super easy to pick up models and sleep with them. Even the short stubby George character was able to. lol
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
icarus
Freshman Poster

Post by icarus »

WWu777 wrote:People say different things. I find girls from Texas to be pretty friendly. But it may just be a front. It doesn't mean that they will be "easy". Southern hospitality is part of the culture.

Austin, Texas is supposed to be very artsy and liberal. But that just means they are more open minded and have a hippie community or artistic community. It doesn't mean it's a great place to get dates.

As to New York, some guys say they do well there. It all depends. But in a big city with lots of people, you should be able to find like-minded people.

The Seinfeld Show made NYC look like it was super easy to pick up models and sleep with them. Even the short stubby George character was able to. lol
I think suggesting that their friendliness may be a front just because they are not an easy lay is too cynical. It doesn't all revolve around that.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." -- Albert Einstein
gmm567
Freshman Poster

Post by gmm567 »

Yea, I've heard Texas is a very friendly place, and I mean that in the way that Winston uses the term friendly. It's not just about saying hi how are you;but about a willingness to spend time with you to get to know you. The texans are more inclusive,and they get to know their neighbors.

I've know texans here in Colorado, and they confirm that Texas is much , much more friendlier than colorado. One guy I met told me he even had a culture shock coming to Colorado. He just hated how people treat each other. It's interesting...... he is one of the sensitive arts type;but I've heard the same thing from many other texans.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

I've spent some time in San Antonio. Friendly people, but weather can be harsh. Once you've visited local lakes, Riverwalk, The Alamo, Sea World, there reall isn't much else to do besides eating at Rudy's BBQ with friends. Real estae is cheap though, many pretty new suburbs.

Downtown SNO has some bad parts at night, avoid them if possible. Also, avoid trekking into the bushes and trees if you're unfamiliar, there's rattlesnakes and all kinds of nasty bugs.

http://www.rattlesnakefestival.com/
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

momopi wrote:I've spent some time in San Antonio. Friendly people, but weather can be harsh. Once you've visited local lakes, Riverwalk, The Alamo, Sea World, there reall isn't much else to do besides eating at Rudy's BBQ with friends. Real estae is cheap though, many pretty new suburbs.

Downtown SNO has some bad parts at night, avoid them if possible. Also, avoid trekking into the bushes and trees if you're unfamiliar, there's rattlesnakes and all kinds of nasty bugs.

W: How is the weather harsh? In what way? It's hard to imagine a state as big as Texas having no scenery and not that much to do.

Are there lots of guys everywhere with cowboy hats?

And what about all the closed mindedness and racism that people say about Texans?

How do Texans treat Asians?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

WWu777 wrote:
W: How is the weather harsh? In what way? It's hard to imagine a state as big as Texas having no scenery and not that much to do.

And what about all the closed mindedness and racism that people say about Texans?

Most Texans don't wear cowboy hats, and San Antonio is like >60% Hispanic majority. There are few Asians there and racism was never an issue for me. I've been told that the cops there are pretty strict.
icarus
Freshman Poster

Post by icarus »

WWu777 wrote:
momopi wrote:I've spent some time in San Antonio. Friendly people, but weather can be harsh. Once you've visited local lakes, Riverwalk, The Alamo, Sea World, there reall isn't much else to do besides eating at Rudy's BBQ with friends. Real estae is cheap though, many pretty new suburbs.

Nice stereotypes Wu. Show us all what a true lightweight you are there pal!
gmm567
Freshman Poster

Post by gmm567 »

The closed minded nice and racism is probably the spin given to texas culture from the National media and Hollywood.

I don't think it's true.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

icarus wrote:
WWu777 wrote:

W: I cannot be expected to be an expert on all 200 countries and all 50 states in the US. Be realistic. I am only going by what I saw on TV.

icarus
Freshman Poster

Post by icarus »

WWu777 wrote:
icarus wrote:
WWu777 wrote:

W: I cannot be expected to be an expert on all 200 countries and all 50 states in the US. Be realistic. I am only going by what I saw on TV.
Well at least you're admitting your unsophistication here. Strange that you go by what's on tv to judge other places in your own country rather but then loudly proclaim how the media misleads us regarding other countries halfway across the globe.
Last edited by icarus on May 16th, 2009, 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by momopi »

WWu777 wrote: W: I cannot be expected to be an expert on all 200 countries and all 50 states in the US. Be realistic. I am only going by what I saw on TV.
Once I was fishing on a local pier, some people came with cops and clearned everyone out for a film shoot. They "replaced" all the people on the pier with actors and extra's that they brought in.

Gone were the Hispanic and Korean families spending a nice afternoon fishing with their kids. Replaced with bunch of non-locals that fit their "image" of a beach pier scene.

I don't consider what I see on TV to be realistic, though some of my relatives do. When they come visit, some would ask "where are all the white people?". I try to explain to them that LA has Hispanic/Latino majority at 46.5%, and people are more likely to be found eating in Taco Bell/Dell Taco than a steakhouse.
icarus
Freshman Poster

Post by icarus »

momopi wrote:
WWu777 wrote: W: I cannot be expected to be an expert on all 200 countries and all 50 states in the US. Be realistic. I am only going by what I saw on TV.
Once I was fishing on a local pier, some people came with cops and clearned everyone out for a film shoot. They "replaced" all the people on the pier with actors and extra's that they brought in.

Gone were the Hispanic and Korean families spending a nice afternoon fishing with their kids. Replaced with bunch of non-locals that fit their "image" of a beach pier scene.

I don't consider what I see on TV to be realistic, though some of my relatives do. When they come visit, some would ask "where are all the white people?". I try to explain to them that LA has Hispanic/Latino majority at 46.5%, and people are more likely to be found eating in Taco Bell/Dell Taco than a steakhouse.
Yeah but you're in Orange county where it's an all blond-haired German descent population. (except maybe a few scattered Vietnamese in 714) :?