Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

What does everyone have to say about Hawaii?

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

What does everyone have to say about Hawaii?

Postby hornyabc » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:31 am

I'm going to visit Hawaii for the first time next week. It's always seemed nice from all the pictures and things you hear about it. Guess I'll find out next week...
hornyabc
Freshman Poster

Postby starkeep » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:52 pm

8) I have been there yrs ago and can see outragious rents charged there compared to foreign countries. Plus i think overall pretty pricey. But the weather is good and tropical and good beaches. The 2nd language thee is japanese.
fed up
starkeep
Freshman Poster

Postby Mr S » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:56 am

It's overrated and if your white the locals won't like you very much for the most part... That's why mostly Asians decide to live there and only a smaller minority of other cultures and races. There is talk of separating from the USA in the future. I doubt the American government would allow it but as cultural nationalism gains more ground over the coming generations it could spark some confrontations someday...
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
Mr S
Veteran Poster

Postby ladislav » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:30 pm

Never been there but this is what I have gathered:

White people are not liked by the locals, mixed couples have been attacked from what I have heard. White kids have been chased by locals down the streets on the way to school. They have a "Hate Whitey" or "Kill Whitey" day in HI. I knew a Jewish guy who had moved to the Philippines from there- says "we ( whites- Jews are white there) are the n----rs there".

Is this what Jews get after the Holocaust? They were killed in Europe because they were not white and now they are
Haolis in HI? How much more brutal can things get?

Of course, if you have a lot of money, it may be better for you. I have also heard another phrase : "women? forget it". The beaches are good, they say, though.

They say it is the most racist state in the Union. The Asian American Racist State.

Do not know how well Asian Americans fare there, though. Must be heaven for them.
Last edited by ladislav on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby momopi » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:17 pm

I have several Asian American (Chinese & Japanese) friends and coworkers from Hawaii. They moved out because of the lack of jobs. One of my ex-GF's moved there, then had to move to Japan to find decent-paying work.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby ladislav » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:13 pm

momopi wrote:I have several Asian American (Chinese & Japanese) friends and coworkers from Hawaii. They moved out because of the lack of jobs. One of my ex-GF's moved there, then had to move to Japan to find decent-paying work.

But once they do make their money, they can go back to HI and do their own thing. White people, in my opinion should stay away either way. There is another cheaper Hawaii- the Philippines. And there is little racism here. Why waste time with Hawaii?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Nighthawk » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:18 pm

I'm a howly living on the island Oahu for the last 3 years and working here for the last 11. Like any place there are good people and bad mostly good. It's expensive here because everyone wants to come here. I bought a house here and my friends says it's expensive but I don't have the heating oil costs in the winter and the high electric in the summer like back in the states. I have a/c but have only turned it on to make sure they work. With the trade winds it's natural a/c. The worst day here is better than the best day back home. I used to live in VA, DE, GA. Haven't heard about racisim any more than is back continental states.
Nighthawk
Freshman Poster

Postby momopi » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:02 am

ladislav wrote:
momopi wrote:I have several Asian American (Chinese & Japanese) friends and coworkers from Hawaii. They moved out because of the lack of jobs. One of my ex-GF's moved there, then had to move to Japan to find decent-paying work.

But once they do make their money, they can go back to HI and do their own thing. White people, in my opinion should stay away either way. There is another cheaper Hawaii- the Philippines. And there is little racism here. Why waste time with Hawaii?

Naw, my ex-GF moved to Tokyo permanently and is now looking for a Japanese citizen to marry. My ex-coworker was recently laid off and she is now looking into early retirement in China. Her husband is a bum and doesn't work, so moving overseas will be financially better off for them.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby ladislav » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:22 am

Nighthawk wrote:I'm a howly living on the island Oahu for the last 3 years and working here for the last 11. Like any place there are good people and bad mostly good. It's expensive here because everyone wants to come here. I bought a house here and my friends says it's expensive but I don't have the heating oil costs in the winter and the high electric in the summer like back in the states. I have a/c but have only turned it on to make sure they work. With the trade winds it's natural a/c. The worst day here is better than the best day back home. I used to live in VA, DE, GA. Haven't heard about racisim any more than is back continental states.

Which goes to show that the world is really a hologram with several holographic plates and some people just live on other plates. This is the only explanation I can think of.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby hornyabc » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:56 am

Oh sorry I forgot about this thread. Anyway, I was in Hawaii for a short time... not even a week. Here are some observations though.

Honolulu is the major city and like any other major city that attracts tourists, it's VERY expensive. If you decide to move to Hawaii, you've gotta be farther out where the rest of the locals live. I also visited Maui, and there are the SUPER expensive resorts areas that are almost exclusively white.

If you're Asian you'll fit in very well. I saw A LOT of Japanese tourists, so much so that much of the signage in hotels and stores have Japanese alongside the English. Honolulu has a lot of tourists from everywhere, so I don't think you'll have much problem if you're white if you stay in the major areas like Waikiki beach. Maybe if you wander off to the ghetto areas you might encounter some problems.

Oh and I noticed quite A LOT of Hapas (mixed Asian/white) people, so as far as I saw there doesn't seem to be much issues with mixed/interracial kids. They are HOT by the way! Generally I think mixed people look the best, plus add to that you have the great sun and beaches so you'll get gorgeous looking girls in great shape in bikinis. I haven't been to the Philipines yet, but I imagine it's similar there.

Anyway, unfortunately I was working most of the time I was there so I didn't get to hang out and meet any local girls. These were just quick observations from what little time I had to relax at the beach and walking around town. So I can't comment on their personalities.
All I know is I want to go back and find out! The beaches and the weather are just awesome there!
hornyabc
Freshman Poster

Postby Winston » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:11 am

I can tell you one thing though. Don't go to the Big Island of Hawaii. I was there before going to the Philippines and the people are like ghosts. They don't even make eye contact with you and it feels very inappropriate to chat up any girls. They have this hostile paranoid look to them. As long as you don't talk to them, they are fine, but if you try to socialize with them, they think you're a creep. You're only supposed to socialize with your "clique" in their mentality.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Return to North America, Domestic Relocation