Film documents antisociality in Seattle! Finally the truth!

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
Winston
Site Admin

Film documents antisociality in Seattle! Finally the truth!

Post by Winston »

I'm surprised people finally admit that Seattle and Washington is very antisocial! Check out this film about lonely people who can't make real friends in Seattle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roC_nsdyi1I

The Seattle Times reported on it long ago.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/pacifi ... cover.html

But lots of people, like on Yelp, deny it and claim that they never had problems making friends or getting dates in Seattle. How can that be?

http://www.yelp.com/topic/seattle-seatt ... tle-freeze
Last edited by Winston on June 15th, 2010, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Wow, I just saw that video on the anti-socialness of Seattle and it was very well done! Look at the comments people wrote, almost all of them agree Seattle is an unfriendly place to live! I guess I won't be moving to the Pacific Northwest anytime soon! lol :lol:

Here are some of the comments people wrote regarding the video about the "Seattle Freeze."

"It's been the roughest year of my adult life. I've tried (or not tried) every which way possible to meet people, and discovered that people treat bars like restaurants here - you go with people you know, and that's that... if you try to engage people here, they're either snotty to you for being pushy, or are terrified of you."

"We moved here from Northern Cal. I thought it was hard making friends there; up here, even our dog is lonely. I've been crying and wondering what was wrong with me; now I know, its Seattle."

"This is brilliant. You really should expand this to a 20-minute to 30-minute documentary for broadcast. It is the most honest analysis of Seattle I have seen since moving here. Making friends in this town is IMPOSSIBLE."

"Seattle is really the worst city from a social standpoint. The Seattle Freeze is real. After a few years, I finally realized, there is no social growth to be had here."
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Film documents antisociality in Seattle! Finally the tru

Post by momopi »

Winston wrote: But lots of people, like on Yelp, deny it and claim that they never had problems making friends or getting dates in Seattle. How can that be?

http://www.yelp.com/topic/seattle-seatt ... tle-freeze
I've never lived in WA so can only speak for my area. Yelpers are very social. I've attended several restaurant runs and it's like 30+ foodies attacking a restaurant with SLR camera's. As soon as the food arrives, you go blind as the mass camera flash begins. If you touch your plate before they're done taking photos, you'd have several people yell at you.

http://www.yelp.com/events/oc

This is an all you can eat sushi event with 40+ people interested:
http://www.yelp.com/events/cypress-ayce-sushi-uye

I also personally know several people who meet at yelp events and got married. BE WARNED, if you get a "foodie" GF, expect to spend a decent chunk of $ on dining out. By its nature, girls who really enjoy their food will eventually get plump (you are what you eat). On plus side, you'd also eat very well.

If you want to impress foodies, you need good knowledge of cuisine and wine. You can sign up for some classes with your local culinary school. My Alma mater:

http://www.lagunaculinaryarts.com/

==========

When I ran the Irvine Housing Blog's foodie section 2 years ago, we'd have gatherings at local restaurants with ~50 people. I think the largest one had 100+, but couldn't count because the room was too packed and chaotic with the book signing mixed in. Redfin.com paid for the catering that day. If anyone is interested in our book:

Last edited by momopi on June 15th, 2010, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dano
Freshman Poster

Post by dano »

Northern europe has the same climate as Seattle and the people there are reserved also.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I just read all the comments on that Seattle Freeze video, and it seems that 70 percent of the comments agree about how hard it is to make friends in Seattle, while 30 percent disagree and say that they never had any trouble getting friends or dates.

Seems like a place is a different universe for different people.

I've come to speculate and theorize that each culture or region may have a "group soul" or "collective" that exists as a type of "entity". That's why each place has a distinct and unique vibe. If the entity likes a certain individual, he/she will get good experiences, meet friendly people, and have good experiences. Coincidences will help him/her too. And they will feel energized and treated well by others. If not, the person will have negative experiences, and feel suffocated or drained.

That's my theory anyway. The universe is often stranger then we think and a lot of the forces that control things are beyond our comprehension.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Montanaland
Freshman Poster

nw freeze

Post by Montanaland »

A lot of young folks try it out there (Seattle) from Billings. Almost all them end up coming back to MT because of thier family and they get feed up with the high prices and all the solitude.

Vancouver on the other hand was alot more friendly and diverse. Canada outside of Toronto etc. isn't as commercially built-up as cities in the states...and still has an old fashion friendliness feel to it.
Vicbowling
Freshman Poster

Post by Vicbowling »

Vancouver is NOT friendly. People are just as cold and reserved there as in many other places. People won't talk to you on the street and they will think you're weird if you try to say hello. Vancouver is a very impersonal city too. I think people pretty much assume that if you're friendly to them then you want something from them. Sadly, that's pretty often the case with people. Strangers are friendly to you just because they want something from you. The population has learned to become wary. If you're a friend of a friend or pass some sort of background check maybe they'll be friendly with you but truthfully I don't really know what you'd have to do.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Check out the Urban Dictionary's definition of the Seattle Freeze:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... e%20Freeze

"A phrase that describes a local public consensus that states the city of Seattle and/ or its outlying suburbs are generally not friendly, asexual, introverted, socially aloof, clickish or strictly divided through its social classes, thus making the city/ area difficult to make social connections on all levels."

Look at the comments or edits on that page too. The second one is lame ass and typical victim blaming mentality:
I was transplanted here six months ago from Los Angeles, and because of this Seattle Freeze I have not had a lot of success at making new friends.

Because I'm a loser and have no social skills, I'll blame my shortcomings on the Seattle Freeze so I can have something other than me to blame.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Vicbowling wrote:Vancouver is NOT friendly. People are just as cold and reserved there as in many other places. People won't talk to you on the street and they will think you're weird if you try to say hello. Vancouver is a very impersonal city too. I think people pretty much assume that if you're friendly to them then you want something from them. Sadly, that's pretty often the case with people. Strangers are friendly to you just because they want something from you. The population has learned to become wary. If you're a friend of a friend or pass some sort of background check maybe they'll be friendly with you but truthfully I don't really know what you'd have to do.
Agreed. I've been to Vancouver many times, and the people are way reserved. You feel like you are supposed to mind your own business and not talk to anyone unless it's business related, and if you complain, then you're a freak. I hate that kind of vibe.

But there's a lot to do there, if you want to go alone. There are a lot of Russian/Ukrainian girls too. Sometimes they will talk to you, yeah, but they are not overly engaging or easy to get to agree to a date. In these kind of places, you are supposed to come with your own friends and cliques, not try to meet new people.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Here is a video I just made that shows photographic proof of the Seattle Freeze, and advocates an overseas solution to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu6zAoR7j4M

jamesbond
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by jamesbond »

Winston wrote:Here is a video I just made that shows photographic proof of the Seattle Freeze, and advocates an overseas solution to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu6zAoR7j4M
I am glad I don't live in the Pacific Northwest or the Northeastern part of the US. Those two areas (along with southern Cal.) seem to be the most unfriendly parts of the United States.