Southern vs Northern US states

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to North America. For those looking to relocate within the US or Canada, discuss your experiences and pros/cons of each domestic region.
have2fly
Junior Poster

Southern vs Northern US states

Post by have2fly »

I know I may sound dumb, but I live in the South now and people do seem different. What do you guys have to say? Are all Southerners just rednecks or people are actually friendlier?
gsjackson
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by gsjackson »

Yeah, people are friendlier in the South, at least on the surface. An awful lot of southern women seem to be either evangelical Christians or low lifes. The evangelicals can have some good qualities, but you need to completely embrace the culture and speak the lingo -- at some point you'll need to have a born-again experience, accept Jesus as your personal savior, etc. I mean, it's very specific language and behavior that you will need to adopt, unless you have the strength of personality to make the woman accept you as an outsider to her subculture.

In the bars, low-lifes are pretty much all you'll find in the South. The region doesn't have the same tradition of drinking and bonhomie that the old Catholic ethnic groups of the East and Midwest do, and the prevailing Protetantism has traditionally frowned on the social vices, such as drinking and dancing. Yes, dancing. Wake Forest University in North Carolina, for one, banned it until just a few decades ago.

At this point, though, the entire country has gotten pretty much homogenized, at least in the youth culture.

Where are you?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

So if southern women are friendlier, are they attracted to people that look different? For example, are they curious about Asian men?

I've heard mixed things. Some say the South is too racist. Others say it is very open and easy to talk to strangers there.

Any trip reports from Tennessee, Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, etc.?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
rvacation
Freshman Poster

Southern vs Northern US

Post by rvacation »

I grew up in SF Bay Area and have lived in North San Diego for the past 20 years, as well as spending time in the middle (San Luis Obispo). There are definite differences between NorCal and SoCal but as with anywhere, there is good and bad about each.

Northern California is beautiful and varied and there are so many places to visit within a 4 hour drive, so weekend trips can be varied and very doable - countless beaches, Lake Tahoe, Lassen Park, Yosemite, small towns, wine tasting . . . Good skiing is close. Southern California doesn't have as many choices - the desert, Mexico, LA or San Diego or Santa Barbara and that's it. There are better swimming beaches and the water is warmer, but NorCal has beautiful natural beaches which are very nice in the summer and are good for sunbathing and swimming (I did it for years).

NorCal weather is somewhat more varied. Winters are colder than SoCal and there is more rain. NorCal folks are generally more liberal in their thinking and more environmentally aware.

Both are great places to raise kids because there are a lot of things to do. Year round good weather allows kids to spend as much time outdoors as they want. San Francisco is more cosmopolitan than LA and SD.

Cost of living is about the same wherever you live in California - simply put, outrageous. SF used to be much more expensive, but the gap has narrowed. Every metropolitan area has affordable neighborhoods that are quite nice.

I prefer the north because of peoples' attitudes, the landscape, the weather, and its proximity to so much, but I love where I live in SD..

Thanks.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Southern vs Northern US

Post by Winston »

rvacation wrote:
February 16th, 2011, 1:17 am
I grew up in SF Bay Area and have lived in North San Diego for the past 20 years, as well as spending time in the middle (San Luis Obispo). There are definite differences between NorCal and SoCal but as with anywhere, there is good and bad about each.

Northern California is beautiful and varied and there are so many places to visit within a 4 hour drive, so weekend trips can be varied and very doable - countless beaches, Lake Tahoe, Lassen Park, Yosemite, small towns, wine tasting . . . Good skiing is close. Southern California doesn't have as many choices - the desert, Mexico, LA or San Diego or Santa Barbara and that's it. There are better swimming beaches and the water is warmer, but NorCal has beautiful natural beaches which are very nice in the summer and are good for sunbathing and swimming (I did it for years).

NorCal weather is somewhat more varied. Winters are colder than SoCal and there is more rain. NorCal folks are generally more liberal in their thinking and more environmentally aware.

Both are great places to raise kids because there are a lot of things to do. Year round good weather allows kids to spend as much time outdoors as they want. San Francisco is more cosmopolitan than LA and SD.

Cost of living is about the same wherever you live in California - simply put, outrageous. SF used to be much more expensive, but the gap has narrowed. Every metropolitan area has affordable neighborhoods that are quite nice.

I prefer the north because of peoples' attitudes, the landscape, the weather, and its proximity to so much, but I love where I live in SD..

Thanks.
When people talk of southern states they usually are referring to the deep South or bible belt, from Texas to Florida. California is not included. Not sure if Arizona and New Mexico are either.

Btw only the weather in California is good. Everything else sucks. Especially the vibe and the people.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne