Affluenza:The All Consuming Epidemic

Share and recommend books and websites that you think are worth checking out.
TRADER1972
Freshman Poster

Affluenza:The All Consuming Epidemic

Post by TRADER1972 »

This is a book I was reading a few days ago at Barnes and Noble. It really exposes how screwed up American culture is.

There are so many good quotes, I lost count. But I want to share some of the better ones.

1.Erich Fromm reminds us about the risk of settling for "normal": "That millions share the same forms of mental pathology does not make these people sane."

2. "Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work, driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for, in order to get to the job that you need so you can pay for the clothes,car and the house that you leave empty all day in order to afford to live in it."

3."We are a nation that shouts at a microwave to hurry up."

4."We hear the same refrain all the time from people. I have no life. I get up in the morning, day care, elder care, a 40 minute commute to work. I have to work late. I get home at night, there's laundry, bills to pay, jam something into the microwave oven. I'm exhausted, I go to sleep, I wake up and the routine begins all over again. This is what life has become in America."

5."Tragedy is wanting something badly, getting it, and finding it empty.And I think that's what's happened."
ErikHeaven
Experienced Poster

Post by ErikHeaven »

I used to see the same people at the same time at the same stop light in traffic going to work. The look on their faces was priceless.
Like hamsters in a wheel. Oh let us all hit the Lotto this year and leave this bitch for real.
The_Adventurer
Experienced Poster

Post by The_Adventurer »

I used to be one of those people. I am so glad I got out! I may not have all the toys, entertainments and distractions in my life, but I do have a life!
“Booty is so strong that there are dudes willing to blow themselves up for the highly unlikely possibility of booty in another dimension." -- Joe Rogan
TRADER1972
Freshman Poster

Post by TRADER1972 »

ErikHeaven wrote: Oh let us all hit the Lotto this year and leave this bitch for real.
I know that's right!

I am really growing tired of bring here. This place is just murder on the mind. People are too damn isolated and selfish. And I swear I could die happy if i never see an AW again.