Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Ebook readers? (portable PDF and Kindle device)

Share and recommend books and websites that you think are worth checking out.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Ebook readers? (portable PDF and Kindle device)

Postby odbo » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:42 am

I need one of these, anyone here have experience with them? I'm tired of reading long articles and books on the computer and straining my eyes. Buying everything I want to read in paper (book) format is not realistic (too much $$$) and not always possible. I need something that doesn't have a lot of piracy protection or is easily cracked, if you know what I mean. :wink: I don't want to be limited on what I can upload to the thing.

Image
odbo
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2171
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:40 pm







Re: Ebook readers? (electronic pdf displayer)

Postby Rock » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:22 pm

odbo wrote:I need one of these, anyone here have experience with them? I'm tired of reading long articles and books on the computer and straining my eyes. Buying everything I want to read in paper (book) format is not realistic (too much $$$) and not always possible. I need something that doesn't have a lot of piracy protection or is easily cracked, if you know what I mean. :wink: I don't want to be limited on what I can upload to the thing.



I use Kindle for black-and-white page reading and suggest supplementing that with an IPad for color stuff. This combo is a real back saver whenever I travel. In bookstores, when I see a book I want, I am usually able to find a Kindle edition and download it on the spot for a greatly reduced price. So far, the bookstores have never complained.

There are few regular publications available for subscription or single copy purchase over Kindle through Amazon Kindle bookstore. And with an IPad, you can access many others via Internet.

PDF files can be downloaded into Kindle and IPad as well. Of course there are still a lot of books and magazines still not available for e-readers but the list is diminishing fast.

Best option today is a hybrid solution. Go with Kindle + IPad and only buy hard copy when its absolutely unavailable in electronic form. That should reduce your physical burden by at least 90%.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4123
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:16 pm

Re: Ebook readers? (electronic pdf displayer)

Postby E_Irizarry » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:31 pm

Rock wrote:
odbo wrote:I need one of these, anyone here have experience with them? I'm tired of reading long articles and books on the computer and straining my eyes. Buying everything I want to read in paper (book) format is not realistic (too much $$$) and not always possible. I need something that doesn't have a lot of piracy protection or is easily cracked, if you know what I mean. :wink: I don't want to be limited on what I can upload to the thing.



I use Kindle for black-and-white page reading and suggest supplementing that with an IPad for color stuff. This combo is a real back saver whenever I travel. In bookstores, when I see a book I want, I am usually able to find a Kindle edition and download it on the spot for a greatly reduced price. So far, the bookstores have never complained.

There are few regular publications available for subscription or single copy purchase over Kindle through Amazon Kindle bookstore. And with an IPad, you can access many others via Internet.

PDF files can be downloaded into Kindle and IPad as well. Of course there are still a lot of books and magazines still not available for e-readers but the list is diminishing fast.

Best option today is a hybrid solution. Go with Kindle + IPad and only buy hard copy when its absolutely unavailable in electronic form. That should reduce your physical burden by at least 90%.


I didn't know that iPad and iPad2's can read colorful PDF's. Cool. Well I do all e-book reading on my computer/laptop because I use programming and database PDF's and I need a computer right next to me in order to do the examples.

Now if I were able to highlight and underline in iPad like I can in Adobe Acrobat 9/10 Pro, then I'll consider getting one.
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:07 am
Location: The Corporation ( the U.S. of Gay )

Postby MrPeabody » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:17 am

I love the kindle because amazon downloads the book automatically usually in a minute over any wireless network. You can't get any easier than that. Amazon is coming out with a color kindle in Christmas.
MrPeabody
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1246
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:53 pm

Postby odbo » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:33 am

Thanks for the advice so far.

Edit:
Every reader seems to support PDF files (and .txt) by default.

Most = .epub (the standard format)
Kindle = .mobi

Free converting program: http://calibre-ebook.com/
Last edited by odbo on Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
odbo
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2171
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:40 pm

Postby fschmidt » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:35 am

I like the Kindle DX which has a big screen. I couldn't stand the regular ebook readers like the Sony in the picture because the page is too small.
Following the Old Testament, not evil modern culture
fschmidt
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2118
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 8:16 am
Location: El Paso, TX

Postby momopi » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:36 am

I own a kindle. ebooks will eventually dominate the market -- no print costs, no inventory, very little overhead, and no costs associated with printing mistakes/accidents. Physical books will not go away, but they'll be special order items in the future.

Whatever format your ebook comes on, you'd probably find conversion programs for it, and a way to upload it to your eReader. Some magazines not avail in eBook format are scanned and avail on BT.
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 4711
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:44 am
Location: Orange County, California

Postby odbo » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:51 am

fschmidt wrote:I like the Kindle DX which has a big screen. I couldn't stand the regular ebook readers like the Sony in the picture because the page is too small.


The 9 inch DX is close to $400! Think I'll settle for the 6 inch models which are $100-125
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-R ... menu_kdx23
odbo
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2171
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:40 pm

Postby Twobrains » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:33 pm

I haven't got an ebook reader, but I've been reading up a lot about them lately with a view to making a purchase. Kindle is too restrictive - it will only display one format (not PDFs), you can only buy from Amazon, I understand, and there's heavy DRM. Better to go with something like the Kobo Touch - it can display many different formats, but is still e-ink, so easy on the eyes. It will not do well with colour PDFs, though. If you want to display those, and have more features and flexibility, you'd be better off with an Android tablet, but it'll be heavier and have less battery life.
Twobrains
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:39 pm
Location: Europe

Postby odbo » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:43 pm

When I made this thread I knew very little about e-readers. Having purchased two and done a lot of reading (none of which I paid for :lol:) I can say that every reader you can find will read PDFs. But some have better re-sizing software than others, so it's not always as simple as copying a pdf onto the e-reader if you want good font size, etc.

It doesn't really matter what brand you buy because there is an excellent open-source (Linux/Mac/Pc) program called Calibre for converting to or from any e-book formats. The standard is epub but the Kindle/Amazon uses it's own format (.mobi) which is annoying but not that bad. Libraries now have ebooks and they are usually epub format.

If I were you I would just get the cheapest reader, the Kobo and the 6" $80 Kindle looks great. Keyboards and touch pads add bulk & cost and you will never use them after the first day. Also the whole point of an ebook reader versus a tablet or computer screen is to not hurt your eyes. If you get a color tablet - that's great for comic books or browsing the web but it is not fit for reading a novel on, unless you want a headache or vision problems. It's also a source of heat and electromagnetic radiation. An e-ink (black & white) reader is like a calculator, so it feels 'dead' like a real book.
odbo
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2171
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:40 pm

Postby Winston » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:31 am

What do you guys think of Barnes and Noble's new Nook Tablet? It's supposed to be more powerful than Kindle.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... ook_Tablet

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... geNumber=1
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23617
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Repatriate » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:14 pm

You could try just sticking with a smart phone. I finally got an iphone and I think it's perfectly suitable for reading. Some may think the text will be too small but it's really not. It's about the same size as it is in a real book you just flip the pages a little more but it's effortless.

The problem with tablets is that they aren't exactly laptops and they aren't phones. They are just another cumbersome damage prone device to worry about if you have to travel. At least a phone is small.

If you dislike the iphone then try the samsung galaxy II. It's a better option.
Repatriate
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2533
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:39 pm

Postby Winston » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:31 pm

But Repatriate, iphones are expensive. For the price of one, you could get two netbooks (mini laptops). If the text size is too small, you can just zoom in with your fingers. That's what I do. You can also adjust the font and background colors. Dark background with light text is easier on the eyes.

Also, if you buy ebooks from Amazon Kindle, then you need the Amazon Kindle device right? Can an iphone or smart phone read a Kindle ebook?
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23617
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Nana111 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:47 am

HI there
That exactly what i want to do.I want to get a ebook reader which supports to read PDF files.Not every reader supports to do that.I have installed another reader before.But
it can not read PDF files.It would be perfect if it is free to use.Thanks for any suggestions.
Nana111
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:44 am

Next

Return to Recommend Books and Websites

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest