Thailand Fever

Share and recommend books and websites that you think are worth checking out.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Thailand Fever

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

This looks like a good book guys, it's called, Thailand Fever, and on Amazon.com I read what I could in the "look inside" feature and many of apprehensions I had about Thai women, such as, sometimes not telling the truth, or that I would be expected to take care of her family all made sense when I was explained WHY they do it.

Have a look:

Product Description:

"You've met the perfect Thai woman. You're dizzy with joy as her exotic world swirls around you. You've heard so many horror stories, but your heart tells you that she's for real. You want to understand her mysterious ways, and you wish she could understand yours. Now, there's help. Thailand Fever is an astonishing, one-of-a-kind, bilingual expose of the cultural secrets that are the key to a smooth Thai-Western relationship."

Random book reviews:

"A mixed culture relationship isn't the easy path to take. I hope the rewards lay ahead in the fact(gleaned from my limited research)that the divorce rate between forign women and American men in my age group (over 50) is much lower (20%) than marriage to an American woman (66%). This book heads both partners in the right direction."

"This book should be required reading for all single men visiting Thailand for vacation. Given the language obstacles between English and all other countries that use different letters, this book can enable you to overcome tremendous cultural differences. I truly feel that my life might have gone in a different direction had I read this book 25 years ago."

"The book is NOT preachy. It doesn't recommend behaviour beyond communicating openly and being prepared to abandon many of your deeply held cultural foundations if you want the relationship to survive. The book doesn't criticise or pontificate, even on the pages describing professional hookers and their customers.

I've lived in Thailand for a year, and showed this book to many of my Thai and Western friends. We all agree that the book accurately touches on most of the top problems in Thai+Western relationships:
1) Is lying acceptable? When is it OK?
2) Dowry, and other money=romance expectations
3) "It's MY money, I earned it" versus "The biggest pole holds up the whole extended family's tent"
4) Marital fidelity
5) sex industry versus Thailand's truly puritanical culture

This book will probably scare you away from attempting a romance with Thai women. That's A GOOD THING. If you come here to buy cheap beer and sex, this is the right place. If you want real romance and don't want to drain your savings to pay for it, stay away."

"I bought this for a friend of mine. He was having trouble understanding why his Thai girlfriend brought him to her mom's house. Why did she start asking him for money and then turning around and giving it to her mom? Here, in this book,are the answers. This very well written book is uniquely written so that the left hand page is in English for the guy and the right hand page is in Thai for the girl. This should be mandatory reading for any Thai-Farang couple. Very well done."

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Thailand Fever

Post by Rock »

NorthAmericanguy wrote:This looks like a good book guys, it's called, Thailand Fever, and on Amazon.com I read what I could in the "look inside" feature and many of apprehensions I had about Thai women, such as, sometimes not telling the truth, or that I would be expected to take care of her family all made sense when I was explained WHY they do it.

Have a look:

Product Description:

"You've met the perfect Thai woman. You're dizzy with joy as her exotic world swirls around you. You've heard so many horror stories, but your heart tells you that she's for real. You want to understand her mysterious ways, and you wish she could understand yours. Now, there's help. Thailand Fever is an astonishing, one-of-a-kind, bilingual expose of the cultural secrets that are the key to a smooth Thai-Western relationship."

Random book reviews:

"A mixed culture relationship isn't the easy path to take. I hope the rewards lay ahead in the fact(gleaned from my limited research)that the divorce rate between forign women and American men in my age group (over 50) is much lower (20%) than marriage to an American woman (66%). This book heads both partners in the right direction."

"This book should be required reading for all single men visiting Thailand for vacation. Given the language obstacles between English and all other countries that use different letters, this book can enable you to overcome tremendous cultural differences. I truly feel that my life might have gone in a different direction had I read this book 25 years ago."

"The book is NOT preachy. It doesn't recommend behaviour beyond communicating openly and being prepared to abandon many of your deeply held cultural foundations if you want the relationship to survive. The book doesn't criticise or pontificate, even on the pages describing professional hookers and their customers.

I've lived in Thailand for a year, and showed this book to many of my Thai and Western friends. We all agree that the book accurately touches on most of the top problems in Thai+Western relationships:
3) "It's MY money, I earned it" versus "The biggest pole holds up the whole extended family's tent"
4) Marital fidelity

This book will probably scare you away from attempting a romance with Thai women. That's A GOOD THING. If you come here to buy cheap beer and sex, this is the right place. If you want real romance and don't want to drain your savings to pay for it, stay away."

"I bought this for a friend of mine. He was having trouble understanding why his Thai girlfriend brought him to her mom's house. Why did she start asking him for money and then turning around and giving it to her mom? Here, in this book,are the answers. This very well written book is uniquely written so that the left hand page is in English for the guy and the right hand page is in Thai for the girl. This should be mandatory reading for any Thai-Farang couple. Very well done."
I actually recommended this book to a couple of my western/Thai couple friends a few years ago - because its written both in English and in Thai and from the perspective of both the western male and Thai female co-authors. At least both parties from one of those couples read the whole book and appreciated it. They are married now. However, I'm not sure how reliable it is when applied to the greater population on the Thai side. I mean, its really the perspective of just 2 individuals - a western man and Thai woman - who claim to represent their respective cultures. Personally, I felt it overplayed the money aspect of relationships on the Thai side which leads me to believe the female author might be from an Issan background. I'm not sure though.

There are loads of books about Thailand - both reality stories and racy fictions. Most are fairly contemporary and written by western authors with experience in Thailand. What I would like to see more of are books authored by Thais and translated into English. One classic (written by a Chinese immigrant to Bangkok) is "Letters from Thailand". Another good classic is "Mai Pen Rai Means Never Mind" written by an American housewife and teacher at Chulalongkorn way back in the 60s. If you read a lot of material published both by Thais and old foreign hands, you can get a lot of insight into the intricacies of the culture.
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster

Re: Thailand Fever

Post by NorthAmericanguy »

Rock wrote:
NorthAmericanguy wrote:This looks like a good book guys, it's called, Thailand Fever, and on Amazon.com I read what I could in the "look inside" feature and many of apprehensions I had about Thai women, such as, sometimes not telling the truth, or that I would be expected to take care of her family all made sense when I was explained WHY they do it.

Have a look:

Product Description:

Random book reviews:

4) Marital fidelity

I actually recommended this book to a couple of my western/Thai couple friends a few years ago - because its written both in English and in Thai and from the perspective of both the western male and Thai female co-authors. At least both parties from one of those couples read the whole book and appreciated it. They are married now. However, I'm not sure how reliable it is when applied to the greater population on the Thai side. I mean, its really the perspective of just 2 individuals - a western man and Thai woman - who claim to represent their respective cultures. Personally, I felt it overplayed the money aspect of relationships on the Thai side which leads me to believe the female author might be from an Issan background. I'm not sure though.

There are loads of books about Thailand - both reality stories and racy fictions. Most are fairly contemporary and written by western authors with experience in Thailand. What I would like to see more of are books authored by Thais and translated into English. One classic (written by a Chinese immigrant to Bangkok) is "Letters from Thailand". Another good classic is "Mai Pen Rai Means Never Mind" written by an American housewife and teacher at Chulalongkorn way back in the 60s. If you read a lot of material published both by Thais and old foreign hands, you can get a lot of insight into the intricacies of the culture.
Wow! That looks like a good book. I'm going to buy it.