Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Bugging Out and Relocating - Fernando "Ferfal" Agu

Share and recommend books and websites that you think are worth checking out.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Bugging Out and Relocating - Fernando "Ferfal" Agu

Postby WakingUp » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:30 pm

Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying Put is not an Option by Fernando "Ferfal" Aguirre. Published just a few days ago.

This is the best book I have read on relocating abroad - or somewhere else within your home country. I learned quite a bit about Texas that I did not know before.

Not the standard expat literature describing the places we all know about, this book is far more realistic and discusses all of the issues to consider. As a Latino, he also addresses the sober realities of living in Latin America versus the image that is constantly promoted on expat forums and travel magazines.

Most of his recommendations are based on statistics and surveys of nearly every country you can imagine, though he also discusses his own experience moving his own family from Argentina to Ireland as well. Lots of great survey data to be seen here - ratings of corruption, economic freedom, crime, and other interesting metrics.

The book is basically split into two parts 1) the general issues to consider when preparing a bug out strategy and 2) information specific to countries and states.

There is a small amount of overlap between his earlier book, The Modern Survival Manual and the first part of the book, but I don't consider this to be a huge flaw.

I would recommend it to anyone who wants to move somewhere else, or anyone who just wants to be prepared to do so. Fernando has a writing style that is both friendly and brutally honest.

He also has a blog with lots of interesting survival / prep info and product recommendations:

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/
WakingUp
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:46 am







Postby Jester » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:25 pm

Saw his videos, interesting thoughtful guy, yes.

But f**k him.

He is basically keeping his sweet Latin ass at home in Argentina, and isn't relocating anywhere.

And he teases you about relocation, but in the end just discourages you. His advice is to stay right the f**k where you are, and "prep".

It's like to telling the frogs in the boiling pot to "just sit tight", and get ready for the day (coming soon!) when the pot gets knocked over. Because if they hop out NOW, the cat might eat them.

Noone should give this self-aggrandizing poser any money.
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7866
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Postby WakingUp » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:32 pm

He moved to Ireland.
WakingUp
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:46 am

Re: Bugging Out and Relocating - Fernando "Ferfal"

Postby FerFAL » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:48 pm

WakingUp wrote:Bugging Out and Relocating: When Staying Put is not an Option by Fernando "Ferfal" Aguirre. Published just a few days ago.

This is the best book I have read on relocating abroad - or somewhere else within your home country. I learned quite a bit about Texas that I did not know before.

Not the standard expat literature describing the places we all know about, this book is far more realistic and discusses all of the issues to consider. As a Latino, he also addresses the sober realities of living in Latin America versus the image that is constantly promoted on expat forums and travel magazines.

Most of his recommendations are based on statistics and surveys of nearly every country you can imagine, though he also discusses his own experience moving his own family from Argentina to Ireland as well. Lots of great survey data to be seen here - ratings of corruption, economic freedom, crime, and other interesting metrics.

The book is basically split into two parts 1) the general issues to consider when preparing a bug out strategy and 2) information specific to countries and states.

There is a small amount of overlap between his earlier book, The Modern Survival Manual and the first part of the book, but I don't consider this to be a huge flaw.

I would recommend it to anyone who wants to move somewhere else, or anyone who just wants to be prepared to do so. Fernando has a writing style that is both friendly and brutally honest.

He also has a blog with lots of interesting survival / prep info and product recommendations:

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/

Thank you so much. I'm glad you enjoyed my book and hold it in such high regard. :wink:
If you have any questions or thoughts after reading it I'd love to read them.

Jester wrote:Saw his videos, interesting thoughtful guy, yes.

But f**k him.

He is basically keeping his sweet Latin a** at home in Argentina, and isn't relocating anywhere.

And he teases you about relocation, but in the end just discourages you. His advice is to stay right the f**k where you are, and "prep".

It's like to telling the frogs in the boiling pot to "just sit tight", and get ready for the day (coming soon!) when the pot gets knocked over. Because if they hop out NOW, the cat might eat them.

Noone should give this self-aggrandizing poser any money.


As the WakingUp said, I did leave Argentina and moved to Ireland.
I'm not telling people to "just sit tight". I simply recommend caution and explain that many times people think the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill. Many times its not, like so many people later find out. At the end of the book I make the counterargument that if you really are set on relocating, just go for it. I also wrote a chapter specifically explaining why and when to leave, doing my best to explain how to avoid the boiling frog scenario.

FerFAL
FerFAL
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Bugging Out and Relocating - Fernando "Ferfal"

Postby Jester » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:24 am

FerFAL wrote:
Jester wrote:Saw his videos, interesting thoughtful guy, yes.

But f**k him.

He is basically keeping his sweet Latin a** at home in Argentina, and isn't relocating anywhere.

And he teases you about relocation, but in the end just discourages you. His advice is to stay right the f**k where you are, and "prep".

It's like to telling the frogs in the boiling pot to "just sit tight", and get ready for the day (coming soon!) when the pot gets knocked over. Because if they hop out NOW, the cat might eat them.

Noone should give this self-aggrandizing poser any money.


As the WakingUp said, I did leave Argentina and moved to Ireland.
I'm not telling people to "just sit tight". I simply recommend caution and explain that many times people think the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill. Many times its not, like so many people later find out. At the end of the book I make the counterargument that if you really are set on relocating, just go for it. I also wrote a chapter specifically explaining why and when to leave, doing my best to explain how to avoid the boiling frog scenario.

FerFAL




I can see Ireland being a clever choice for a man who already has a wife, and whose business is location-independent. Maybe they still even have that income tax exemption for serious authors?

+1 to you for all that.

Still kind of ironic that oodles of people from ex-Nazis to Ted Turner to Libertarian nuts have been betting on Argentina, and here you choose the British Isles. Remarkable.

No doubt you had your reasons.

Anyway, welcome to HA.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7866
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Re: Bugging Out and Relocating - Fernando "Ferfal"

Postby FerFAL » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:38 pm

Jester wrote:
FerFAL wrote:
Jester wrote:Saw his videos, interesting thoughtful guy, yes.

But f**k him.

He is basically keeping his sweet Latin a** at home in Argentina, and isn't relocating anywhere.

And he teases you about relocation, but in the end just discourages you. His advice is to stay right the f**k where you are, and "prep".

It's like to telling the frogs in the boiling pot to "just sit tight", and get ready for the day (coming soon!) when the pot gets knocked over. Because if they hop out NOW, the cat might eat them.

Noone should give this self-aggrandizing poser any money.


As the WakingUp said, I did leave Argentina and moved to Ireland.
I'm not telling people to "just sit tight". I simply recommend caution and explain that many times people think the grass is always greener on the other side of the hill. Many times its not, like so many people later find out. At the end of the book I make the counterargument that if you really are set on relocating, just go for it. I also wrote a chapter specifically explaining why and when to leave, doing my best to explain how to avoid the boiling frog scenario.

FerFAL




I can see Ireland being a clever choice for a man who already has a wife, and whose business is location-independent. Maybe they still even have that income tax exemption for serious authors?

+1 to you for all that.

Still kind of ironic that oodles of people from ex-Nazis to Ted Turner to Libertarian nuts have been betting on Argentina, and here you choose the British Isles. Remarkable.

No doubt you had your reasons.

Anyway, welcome to HA.

Oh, there's lots of rumors floating around, and as always rumors have a way of being just that. Regarding nazis in Argentina. Sure, maybe there are a hundful, there's also a big German (non.nazi, just germans) community, as well as Welsh. Even more Ironic, while Argentina has a bad reputation as being the secret hideout for all nazis, its also #3 country with Jewish population , right after Israel and USA. Its safe to say that its far more Jewish than it is Nazi. :D
As for Libertarians choosing Argentina, its as stupid a choice as moving to Venezuela looking for freedom. They dont call Argentina Argenzuela for nothing. I only know of use guy, Doug Cassey, who has a development in Argentina that he tried market as an ideal Libertarian retreat... yes, sure. Other than that, not much of a libertarian movement. I dont know if Ted Turner still owns land ther,e maybe he does, but its probably more about him liking fishing and outdoors in the country than him investing or trusting in it in any way.
FerFAL
FerFAL
Freshman Poster
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Bugging Out and Relocating - Fernando "Ferfal"

Postby Jester » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:17 am

FerFAL wrote:
As for Libertarians choosing Argentina, its as stupid a choice as moving to Venezuela looking for freedom. They dont call Argentina Argenzuela for nothing.



So why Ireland?

And... where would you go if you were SINGLE, interested in having children, location-independent, not rich, not retired?
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7866
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Re: Bugging Out and Relocating - Fernando "Ferfal" Agu

Postby Wolfeye » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:36 am

Didn't know about this book! Liked his other one a lot. It's funny: I was just (and I mean in the few minutes before I read this post) thinking about what to do about relocating. Been thinking of moving for some time now, but was worried about how things would go what with me being from America. I'm basically worried about getting treated as an enemy because of how America (both adminstratively and, to a degree, culturally) has acted. They really wouldn't be wrong in making broad presumptions, since there ARE broad tendancies- but these same things are why I'm moving.
Wolfeye
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1130
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:18 am


Return to Recommend Books and Websites

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest