Book: Dark Ages America

Share and recommend books and websites that you think are worth checking out.
HappyinEurope
Freshman Poster

Book: Dark Ages America

Post by HappyinEurope »

Book: Dark ages America by Morris Berman

I didn't leave the US to look for love in Europe but for its brutal history described in Dark Ages America. I went to the US from Europe in 1980 and I know how different women are. If you want the truth, read this book.

It was written for those individuals, American or not, who are more interested in reality than illusion, more committed to understanding America as it is than in being comforted by a fantasy of what it is, or of what it might supposedly become. And if this is depressing on one level, it may prove to be exciting on another. For the story of the trajectory of American civilization, from Plymouth Rock to Dead-End Iraq, is a fascinating one. If the reader is willing to view this “from the outside,” as it were—which is to say, dispassionately—the adventure can be a liberating one; or so I believe. Americans, after all, are not trained to think historically or sociologically, to understand that their culture is but one among many, and thus to be able to grasp it objectively, as a whole.
BlackKnight
Junior Poster

Re: Book: Dark Ages America

Post by BlackKnight »

Americans, after all, are not trained to think historically or sociologically, to understand that their culture is but one among many, and thus to be able to grasp it objectively, as a whole

This is true. This was designed to create a melting pot. Hence why all people with white skin are now considered "white". In Europe a lot of people hold on to all their heritage/baggage. Seriously, does anyone really consider an Indian guy from England and Englishmen?