Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.



View Active Topics       View Your Posts       Latest 100 Topics       FAQ Topics       Mobile Friendly Theme


The Good Women of China: Hidden Voices

Share and recommend books and websites that you think are worth checking out.

Moderators: fschmidt, jamesbond

Post Reply
NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2199
Joined: November 1st, 2010, 4:16 am

The Good Women of China: Hidden Voices

Post by NorthAmericanguy » January 21st, 2011, 5:13 am

Wow! This looks like a good book. Going to be getting this ASAP!!!




One random review:

I recommend this book for people willing to dig under the brilliant facade of today's China, so they will understand what people have been gone through - although focused on the cruelties endured by women under the regime of the New China, this is a scary showcase of the atrocities committed until recently, especially during the Cultural Revolution.
This brought me a new way of looking at my young Chinese colleagues, whatever happiness they may exhibit now, one has to think about what their parents or grand parents have endured, and how their education may have been affected.
A must for expatriates in China in their quest for understanding Chinese...




Check out our Dating Sites and International Romance Tours!



Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster
Posts: 4225
Joined: April 21st, 2010, 5:16 pm

Re: The Good Women of China: Hidden Voices

Post by Rock » January 21st, 2011, 5:31 am

Northamericanguy wrote:Wow! This looks like a good book. Going to be getting this ASAP!!!




One random review:

I recommend this book for people willing to dig under the brilliant facade of today's China, so they will understand what people have been gone through - although focused on the cruelties endured by women under the regime of the New China, this is a scary showcase of the atrocities committed until recently, especially during the Cultural Revolution.
This brought me a new way of looking at my young Chinese colleagues, whatever happiness they may exhibit now, one has to think about what their parents or grand parents have endured, and how their education may have been affected.
A must for expatriates in China in their quest for understanding Chinese...
I got this book soon after it came out several years ago. Interesting read and a good way to find out where some of these women are coming from. But as you must know, its quite dated by now. The radio program took place in a different social era of China. Girls were generally much more naive, uninformed, and under stronger societal controls regarding love, sex, and marriage. Thus, I doubt that it is very representative of younger women and girls in 2011 China. But it still provides insights which will ultimately aid an outsider in better understanding China and its women.

NorthAmericanguy
Veteran Poster
Posts: 2199
Joined: November 1st, 2010, 4:16 am

Post by NorthAmericanguy » January 21st, 2011, 5:41 am

Thanks Rock for the Reply!^^

globetrotter
Experienced Poster
Posts: 1023
Joined: November 20th, 2009, 8:45 pm
Location: Someplace Other Than This Forum

Re: The Good Women of China: Hidden Voices

Post by globetrotter » January 21st, 2011, 5:56 am

Rock wrote:
Northamericanguy wrote:I got this book soon after it came out several years ago. Interesting read and a good way to find out where some of these women are coming from. But as you must know, its quite dated by now. The radio program took place in a different social era of China. Girls were generally much more naive, uninformed, and under stronger societal controls regarding love, sex, and marriage. Thus, I doubt that it is very representative of younger women and girls in 2011 China. But it still provides insights which will ultimately aid an outsider in better understanding China and its women.
Keep in mind that 'a different social era in China' could refer to a time as little as 3 to 7 years ago.

The country is changing that quickly.

keius
Freshman Poster
Posts: 261
Joined: June 17th, 2010, 9:44 pm

Re: The Good Women of China: Hidden Voices

Post by keius » January 21st, 2011, 7:42 am

globetrotter wrote:
Rock wrote:
Northamericanguy wrote:I got this book soon after it came out several years ago. Interesting read and a good way to find out where some of these women are coming from. But as you must know, its quite dated by now. The radio program took place in a different social era of China. Girls were generally much more naive, uninformed, and under stronger societal controls regarding love, sex, and marriage. Thus, I doubt that it is very representative of younger women and girls in 2011 China. But it still provides insights which will ultimately aid an outsider in better understanding China and its women.
Keep in mind that 'a different social era in China' could refer to a time as little as 3 to 7 years ago.

The country is changing that quickly.
The accepted rate of change by most scholars/experts seem to be 4 to 1 as compared to western civilization. Read that somewhere...just can't remember where :P
IOW, China changes 4 times as fast as it would in the US. 5 years of change in China would be equivalent to about 20 years of change in the US.
Things don't seem to be slowing down either.

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Recommend Books and Websites”