Winston, fix your server

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Noog,
How exactly would you move your entire website from one webhost to another? What does it involve? Is it tedious and time consuming? What's the risk? Will any info be lost?

We also have to consider that Godaddy doesn't care about website content, while another host may take issue with the taboo content that we post.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
noog
Freshman Poster

Post by noog »

Winston wrote:Noog,
How exactly would you move your entire website from one webhost to another? What does it involve? Is it tedious and time consuming? What's the risk? Will any info be lost?

We also have to consider that Godaddy doesn't care about website content, while another host may take issue with the taboo content that we post.
You would need to get a backup of your MySQL database and store it on your computer until it can be transferred to a new host. Normally you can issue a mysqldump command and it's pretty simple, but GoDaddy can make getting your command-line a pain.

Also, you need to backup all your web files in your webroot and move them to your computer, then upload to a new host.

Not sure if you have SSL certificates or anything else that would need to be moved.

Once you decide on a new hosting company that you like and is okay with the taboo content, you will need to upload the MySQL database dump and import the database. Then load the web content to the new host and make sure the website code can connect to the database on the new server. Once this is done and things look okay, you can change the Nameservers to what your new hosting provider specifies, give it a few days for the DNS to roll over, and then cancel the GoDaddy hosting (but keep your domains registered there).
"Take a bold and unconventional action, then you'll find out who your friends are."

"Trying to find good American women is like trying to ice skate in a volcano."
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Decision time!

Ok I just talked to Bluehost by Live Chat. They said they could move all my sites over to their hosting servers for a flat fee of $99. Meaning, they would do all the migration work for me.

What do you all think? I asked them about the occasional adult content posted on this forum. They said occasional adult content posted is ok as long as the site's main theme isn't adult-related.

Another issue:

Should I get us on a VPS (Virtual Private Server) or upgrade to a better shared hosting plan? A VPS puts you on a server with a few other accounts, but each account gets its own memory and RAM so it does not hog each other's memory. It's like a smaller version of a dedicated server and it costs about $29 for the economy plan.

VPS hosting under both Bluehost and Godaddy start at $29 for the economy package.

Nowadays, cloud hosting is expanding resources on shared hosting to improve it. So I could upgrade to cloud hosting for a few dollars more.

But many webmasters, including my friend, said that they had huge spikes in traffic after moving to VPS hosting, and big increases in income too.

The thing is, right now we are on a shared hosting plan with 1,000 other websites on the same server. That's probably why there are page loading errors and slow loading speeds here. We need to upgrade either way, either to cloud shared hosting or VPS hosting.

The Bluehost rep told me that shared hosting should be fine for this site, after I told him that we get 3,000 visitors a day, but usually only about 50-60 people are simultaneously online during the daytime and early evening.

However, I ought to explain to them that we are a taboo site focused on very politically incorrect topics, and make sure they are ok with that first.

What do you all think?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

This site is very tame compared to others, don't worry it's not even an issue.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok well we've finally migrated to a better server with a lot fewer sites on it. And we have a new IP too. Have a look:

http://www.my-ip-neighbors.com/?domain= ... abroad.com
http://reverseip.domaintools.com/search ... abroad.com

As you can see, there are only a few sites on our server now, compared to 2,000 before on the last server. Also, our new server is backed up by other servers, which are interlinked with each other so that resources can be pooled between them as necessary.

Hopefully, that should increase the performance of this site greatly. Let me know if the forum now loads faster and smoother than before.

I also put a code at the top of the forum and main intro pages that compresses the pages with gzip compression, which is supposed to make the pages load faster.