Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Poll: Should the forum theme be changed and upgraded?

Post your suggestions and feedback for this site and movement. You can also report a problem or suggest new board topics.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Should the forum theme be changed and upgraded?

Yes, please upgrade the theme. The current one looks outdated.
9
60%
No, it's fine just the way it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
6
40%
 
Total votes : 15

Postby Winston » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:36 pm

Johnny1975 wrote:Seriously Winston, you need to change the forum. I always have problems opening pages. It can't be my computer or internet connection because it only happens with this forum. If it wasn't for the fact that I have shortcuts to links on my desktop I'd rip my hair out at the thought of having to type www........ every single time, again and again until it works. Also I hate the fact that when you open a thread it doesn't go to the last page, it goes to the first page and you have to click again on the last page number, and when you do a search for the last 100 threads you can't tell when the last post was written. It's so painful that sometimes I just quit. And right now it's too hot for all that. It's really annoying.


What do you mean? You don't have to type www each time to reload a page. Just click the reload button on the browser or push Control-R.

It occassionally doesn't load up. But after ASIO stopped their attacks, it should be better now.

To go to the last post in a thread, click on the square icon next to the last posters name. You will see it on the index page and on the latest 100 topics page.

Does this happen in the ladies forum too when you go there? That forum has the latest software.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23594
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm







Postby Johnny1975 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:04 am

Very often, when I try to open this forum, it fails. So I have to try again. And again and again and again.

I have a link to this forum on my desktop. If I did not have a link, and therefore I had to type in the URL every time, I wouldn't bother. I'd give up, because opening this forum is so painful. I'm just trying to say that it's slow and that having a desktop link is the only reason why I don't give up completely.

Everything is slow. Sometimes it takes many attempts to open pages. It's extremely inconvenient and annoying.

I don't understand why you spend so much time discussing changing the forum and then you just gave up. You should change it. I really think that there's a problem with this format.

The ladies forum is similar, but not as bad.

Right now, I just clicked on Submit, and it didn't work, so I had to press the back arrow to get back to this post and try again. This happens often.

And it has happened again. If this post appears, it will be because I attempted to submit it twice.
***** Join my forum for entrepreneurs and aspiring entrepreneurs : *****

http://inspiredentrepreneur.forumotion.com/

And while you're at it...

*** Buy my motherf***ing book NOW!!!!! *** -----> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5ZHTCW

DO IT!
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:07 pm

Postby Johnny1975 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:05 am

I don't know what just happened. This is what I mean. You need to change the forum.
***** Join my forum for entrepreneurs and aspiring entrepreneurs : *****

http://inspiredentrepreneur.forumotion.com/

And while you're at it...

*** Buy my motherf***ing book NOW!!!!! *** -----> http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K5ZHTCW

DO IT!
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:07 pm

Postby Winston » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:54 pm

But Johnny, how come that doesn't happen on my browser? I don't get it.

Do you clean out your computer regularly with Advanced System Care? Try that.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23594
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Adama » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:04 pm

One thing that I think should be changed is, on the front page, "community" should be displayed more prominently. That will help men find the link when they want to join.

Another thing is, the time posted for each post should be on top of the post, not at the bottom. When it is at the bottom you have to wait til you get through some book-length posts before you can tell if it is old or new.

One more thing is that when someone hotlinks a huge picture it ruins the formatting for the entire page. Most other forum software has it set up where the hotlinked photo only stretches the post in which it is contained. You might look into that. I just hate having to scroll from side to side to read posts after someone has posted a huge pic. Either I give up on the thread at that point or I have to copy paste everything into notepad.
Look for women who automatically want to please you because it pleases them. Any woman who seeks to please her man is a treasure. Even better if you don't have to ask but rather suggest.
User avatar
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 3949
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:37 pm

Postby Jester » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:13 am

Adama wrote:One thing that I think should be changed is, on the front page, "community" should be displayed more prominently. That will help men find the link when they want to join.

Another thing is, the time posted for each post should be on top of the post, not at the bottom. When it is at the bottom you have to wait til you get through some book-length posts before you can tell if it is old or new.

One more thing is that when someone hotlinks a huge picture it ruins the formatting for the entire page. Most other forum software has it set up where the hotlinked photo only stretches the post in which it is contained. You might look into that. I just hate having to scroll from side to side to read posts after someone has posted a huge pic. Either I give up on the thread at that point or I have to copy paste everything into notepad.


Absolutely agree with all 3 points.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Postby Winston » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:04 am

Another thing Johnny.

Most of the other people here aren't having page loading errors all the time. So you should ask yourself why you are one of the few that are?

Also, if you are having page load errors on the ladies forum too, then that must mean that the problem is on your end, because that forum has the latest up to date forum software. So it can't be the forum software that's causing load errors on your browser.

But I will check with Godaddy to see if they have any server log errors though.

To Adama:

The home page and main intro pages all have the Community link at the top. How much more prominent can it be? Most sites do the same, they have a link to the forum in the top navigation bar. How much more prominent can you get?

The home page also has a box with the latest forum topics as well. And the forum is mentioned multiple times.

The position of the date of each post is too minor of an issue to bother with.

I have already set images here to resize if they are too big. Haven't you noticed? If you see a large image that hasn't resized, then try reloading the page.

For example, check out these big desktop wallpapers I posted in this thread. Do you see them resized so that they fit on the screen?

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3371
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23594
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Johnny1975 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:36 am

Winston, I only have major problems with this forum. The ladies forum too but it's not really that bad. I don't have these problems with any other website. If the problem was my computer, internet connection or browser, I would have problems in general, but I don't. And when my computer is slow, with other websites I might have to attempt opening them a couple of times, maybe three on a bad day, but with this forum it's not uncommon for me to literally spend minutes trying to open it.

And I really don't understand why after spending so much time talking about changing the forum, you suddenly changed your mind. You yourself were so keen, and it was your idea to begin with, what happened? 60% of voters want the forum changed, and to this day people are still suggesting changes, such as Adama above. I may be the most vocal, but I'm not the only one who would like to see some improvements.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:07 pm

Postby Winston » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Johnny1975 wrote:Winston, I only have major problems with this forum. The ladies forum too but it's not really that bad. I don't have these problems with any other website. If the problem was my computer, internet connection or browser, I would have problems in general, but I don't. And when my computer is slow, with other websites I might have to attempt opening them a couple of times, maybe three on a bad day, but with this forum it's not uncommon for me to literally spend minutes trying to open it.

And I really don't understand why after spending so much time talking about changing the forum, you suddenly changed your mind. You yourself were so keen, and it was your idea to begin with, what happened? 60% of voters want the forum changed, and to this day people are still suggesting changes, such as Adama above. I may be the most vocal, but I'm not the only one who would like to see some improvements.


I have no idea. But I could use the same type of logic and ask why if this forum is defective, why my browser doesn't have page load problems, and most people here don't either. I've asked everyone many times and most people don't have frequent page load problems. Only occasionally, but not often.

Upgrading this forum would take too long and plus might change the vibe of the place. When I added all the modifications I needed to the ladies forum, it took a long time, longer than I thought. I'd hate to have to do that again.

Also, the ladies forum has the most up to date software version of phpbb. So if you had page load errors there, then the problem must be your browser, or with Godaddy's servers.

Did you consider that? Have you cleaned out your computer with Advanced System Care? Try it. It's free.

http://www.iobit.com/advancedsystemcareper.php
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23594
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Johnny1975 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:38 pm

Do you really think that my logic is completely flawed? If I have major problems with this forum, and not with other sites, then logically there definitely is a problem with this forum.

It may affect me more than others, but there definitely is a problem.

I've downloaded ASC (thanks) and I think it has made some difference. But I still had to open the forum twice to post this.

I can understand that the effort involved in changing everything is probably huge. It's just that we discussed it so much and it's a shame not to do it. I don't think the vibe would suffer at all. A bit of change from time to time is always good. It's not like the colours would be different, it would still be the same forum.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:07 pm

Postby Jester » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:36 am

Winston wrote:
The position of the date of each post is too minor of an issue to bother with.



Maybe you should hand the forum over to someone with more work ethic and less ego.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Postby Winston » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:00 am

Jester wrote:
Winston wrote:
The position of the date of each post is too minor of an issue to bother with.



Maybe you should hand the forum over to someone with more work ethic and less ego.


Excuse me, but I've spent TONS OF HOURS improving and revising this forum. I've made HUNDREDS of changes in the past few years. Tons of modifications and hacks. Just because I don't want to change the position of the post date, which is unnecessary, does not mean I lack work ethic. Not everything is necessary Jester. Not wanting to waste time changing something unnecessary is not the same as being lazy. Do you understand that? Your logic is bad in this case and doesn't make sense.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23594
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Winston » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:05 am

Johnny1975 wrote:Do you really think that my logic is completely flawed? If I have major problems with this forum, and not with other sites, then logically there definitely is a problem with this forum.

It may affect me more than others, but there definitely is a problem.

I've downloaded ASC (thanks) and I think it has made some difference. But I still had to open the forum twice to post this.

I can understand that the effort involved in changing everything is probably huge. It's just that we discussed it so much and it's a shame not to do it. I don't think the vibe would suffer at all. A bit of change from time to time is always good. It's not like the colours would be different, it would still be the same forum.


Yeah that is logical. But it is also logical that the fact that most members here aren't having page loading problems, then the problem must be you too. Both statements sound logical.

That's why I need more data. How well do you maintain your computer? What browser version do you use? Why am I not having such problems?

Try using Firefox or Google Chrome.

So far, the forum seems to work fine. I don't want to spend many hours changing it if there's no reason to. I've tested this forum from different computers and it doesn't have problems. I trust what I see personally more than what some anonymous person says.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23594
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Winston » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:08 pm

Adama wrote:One thing that I think should be changed is, on the front page, "community" should be displayed more prominently. That will help men find the link when they want to join.


Actually, the forum is not just linked in the top navigation bar. It's also linked on the home page and main intro pages in the right sidebar in the box that says "Speak Out! Join our Forum Community". But I will also add a link to the "Latest 100 Forum Topics" somewhere in that area too. Thanks for the suggestion.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23594
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Postby Winston » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:34 am

Alright we are going to upgrade the forum to phpbb3. We need to decide on the new theme though. I've created a poll about it here. Please go to the poll below and vote on the theme you prefer. Thanks.

http://www.happierabroad.com/forum/view ... hp?t=23710
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23594
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, Report a Problem

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests