Poll: Do you want a live chatroom in the forum?

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.

Do you want a live chat window here?

Yes. That would be great! Then we could chat live in real time, like a group instant messenger!
63%
No. We don't need it. We can just converse in the forum. A chatroom may slow down the forum.
25%
I don't care either way. I don't have an opinion.
13%

Total votes: 24
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Poll: Do you want a live chatroom in the forum?

Post by eurobrat »

Would anyone have an interest in a live chat feature, group style? I think it would be a cool thing to have and could talk to members in realtime when bored. Facebook is not cutting it I think some kind of Java chat applet or something like IRC would be cool.

* Inserted by Admin: Cast your vote above!
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: HA live chatroom

Post by Jester »

eurobrat wrote:Would anyone have an interest in a live chat feature, group style? I think it would be a cool thing to have and could talk to members in realtime when bored. Facebook is not cutting it I think some kind of Java chat applet or something like IRC would be cool.
Great idea!
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Jester wrote:
eurobrat wrote:Would anyone have an interest in a live chat feature, group style? I think it would be a cool thing to have and could talk to members in realtime when bored. Facebook is not cutting it I think some kind of Java chat applet or something like IRC would be cool.
Great idea!
Exactly, I imagine myself done with the day and go and grab a cold beer and talk to you guys. Also would be cool if the chatroom had tome kind of picture share feature.

If only we can get Winston to stop being lazy and get his shit together :lol:
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

Yeah I would like it too. He should stop thinking abut gay stuff like Bruce Lee and do the job :)
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

eurobrat wrote:Exactly, I imagine myself done with the day and go and grab a cold beer and talk to you guys. Also would be cool if the chatroom had tome kind of picture share feature.

If you post a link to a chatroom, I can pin your post to the top of the forum.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Eurobrat,
What would be the advantage of benefit of having a live chat window?
Wouldn't it slow the forum down?
I remember OrientExpat had one but it slowed the forum down or caused it to reload a lot.
Can you post those links again to the scripts you found about installing a live chat?

I'm going to turn this thread into a poll, if you don't mind, so we can have a vote.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok I've turned this thread into a poll. Please cast your vote above!
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Ok I like this applet is nice and clean.

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... 0&t=543865
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Eurobrat,
Here are the links you posted for the chatroom before:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... 0&t=543865
http://www.123flashchat.com/phpbb3-install-mod
http://www.rumbletalk.com/phpbb-chat-plugin.php
https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... w_version/

Which one of those is best? Which one would not slow down the page load time or cause the page to keep refreshing?

eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

This free one is best, https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... 0&t=543865

It uses AJAX which is solid technology. I don't like flash, which one of them uses and theres a monthly fee.
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

eurobrat wrote:
Billy wrote:
Yeah I would like it too. He should stop thinking abut gay stuff like Bruce Lee and do the job :)

So with the new chatroom... we could pick on Winston.... daily...

:idea: 8) :idea:
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Jester wrote:
eurobrat wrote: If only we can get Winston to stop being lazy and get his shit together :lol:
Billy wrote: Yeah I would like it too. He should stop thinking abut gay stuff like Bruce Lee and do the job :)
So with the new chatroom... we could pick on Winston.... daily...
Every minute :lol:

I'm really looking forward to a live chat feature, it's a separate thing then making posts. Since a few of us stay in contact via skype, facebook or email. I think this is a good solution to communication on the forum.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Eurobrat,
You never answered my question. What's the benefit or advantage of having a live chat box?

eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Winston wrote:Eurobrat,
You never answered my question. What's the benefit or advantage of having a live chat box?
Forum members can connect easily within the forum. Instead right now I'm using facebook chat, skype and email and even whats app with all the members.

It will provide an easy place to go to when we just want to chat in realtime. The forum will remain the same for discussions, but maybe if i'm like bored at 5pm and feel like chatting with the members, I know I could find them on the chat.

I think this will also show were even more connected as a community and attract new members to the forum.

I see it as a nice feature for the community.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok I found some scripts for live chatrooms for the current version of the forum. I'll pick the best one and install it now and see how it works. Hopefully, it will just show a link where you can choose to open the chatroom if you click on it, that will not slow down the forum. I'll keep you all updated.