Poll: Do you want a live chatroom in the forum?

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.

Do you want a live chat window here?

Yes. That would be great! Then we could chat live in real time, like a group instant messenger!
63%
No. We don't need it. We can just converse in the forum. A chatroom may slow down the forum.
25%
I don't care either way. I don't have an opinion.
13%

Total votes: 24
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Update:

I just tried to install one of the live chat scripts, but it didn't work for some reason. I don't know why. So I undid all the code for it and removed all the files. All that work for nothing.

Oh well. Maybe the universe is trying to tell us to upgrade to phpbb3.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Update:

I just tried to install a second chat script. But it didn't work either. I don't know why. Maybe IRC is outdated or changed and doesn't work the same way anymore.

I don't know. It looks like we'll have to upgrade to phpbb3 in order to install it.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote: What would be the advantage of benefit of having a live chat window?
Wouldn't it slow the forum down?
I remember OrientExpat had one but it slowed the forum down or caused it to reload a lot.
A chatroom is nice, it makes it possible to be online with other members and to know each other better.

OrientExpat did not have a real chat-room, it was merely as you said something like a little window, (optional freeware) refreshing all time, and as all and everything with OrientExpatForum, badly organized. The admin (Jonathan, Mandrake, Mandrunk, Kamnam or Patrick Shaw etc...) never upgraded the chat-window, it was also heavily censored.

---

The-niceguy.com Forum has a real chat-room. The point is however we are not so many members there and now it is often idle.
A real chat-room does not reduce the speed of the forum, at least this is my impression with the-niceguy.com chatroom.
Time difference also plays a major role, as many members are not from USA and in totally different time-zones.
I don't know how many times such a chat-room might be used by HA-members.

However I think, a chat-room should be available as a part of this forum.
Without chat-room - just my feeling - HA is not really full operating, is somewhat incomplete..
Anatoll
Freshman Poster

Post by Anatoll »

Hello,

If there is a chat-room, it should be with the following conditions:

MEN only allowed there!
No lewd language and no cursing. No talk about p**-marital re*ations and other bad subjects.
No lewd photographs, such as some of the members here have.

The ultimate goal should be the destruction of FILTHY feminism and this is what all discussion should be focused on in the chat-area.

{(Out of the frigid ice to the North that no man had ever laid foot on, evil in the form of a man called Agahnim came, and together with the Ball-And-Chain Trooper and his faithful Master Sword, Link repulsed him and the IMPRISONING WAR was ended, to become the things of legend!)} - The evil that is the purest evil possible is feminism and it must be pushed back into its keep!
eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Winston wrote:Update:

I just tried to install a second chat script. But it didn't work either. I don't know why. Maybe IRC is outdated or changed and doesn't work the same way anymore.

I don't know. It looks like we'll have to upgrade to phpbb3 in order to install it.
Theres also other reasons to upgrade to PHPBB3.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Well it looks like the majority want a chat room here.

Eurobrat,
What do you think of this chatroom called mchat?

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/ ... w_version/

How does it compare to that Ajax version you suggested? That Ajax chatroom is in beta mode, by the way.

Also, do you prefer a pop up chat window, like Facebook has, or a one that's embedded into the forum?

eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Winston wrote:Well it looks like the majority want a chat room here.

Eurobrat,

How does it compare to that Ajax version you suggested? That Ajax chatroom is in beta mode, by the way.

Also, do you prefer a pop up chat window, like Facebook has, or a one that's embedded into the forum?
This is the one I like the most. This would be so cool for connecting with members. Me and Jester did a skype yesterday, was very cool to exchange stories on our experience in other countries.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

eurobrat wrote:

Eurobrat,

This is the one I like the most. This would be so cool for connecting with members. Me and Jester did a skype yesterday, was very cool to exchange stories on our experience in other countries.
Huh? Which one are you referring to? The Ajax version or the mchat version? You said "this" without specifying which one you are referring to. lol

You missed my other question too. Look above.

eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Winston wrote:
eurobrat wrote:

Eurobrat,

Huh? Which one are you referring to? The Ajax version or the mchat version? You said "this" without specifying which one you are referring to. lol

You missed my other question too. Look above.
From what I see the Mchat one is more designed for PHPBB. The Ajax one can be inserted into any kind of site. Also the Mchat one is more refined and not in beta mode anymore.

I would go with this one, not sure if you have to upgrade PHPBB though?...
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Yes we would have to upgrade to phpbb3 to use either one. Both includes a lot of file edits too.

If we upgrade to phpbb3, the user control panel will be different. We will all have to re-learn stuff.

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Poll: Do you want a live chatroom in the forum?

Post by Winston »

Ok I finished the forum upgrades on my list finally. What about this chatroom idea? Do you guys still want it? The thing is, it will involve editing a lot of files, which could cost me an hour or more of repetitious tedious work. And if we decide to undo it, it will take me a lot of work to reverse the edits too. There's always a risk that it could slow the forum down too.

But I don't want to do this if no one is going to use the chatroom. What do you think?

eurobrat
Veteran Poster

Post by eurobrat »

Winston wrote:Ok I finished the forum upgrades on my list finally. What about this chatroom idea? Do you guys still want it? The thing is, it will involve editing a lot of files, which could cost me an hour or more of repetitious tedious work. And if we decide to undo it, it will take me a lot of work to reverse the edits too. There's always a risk that it could slow the forum down too.

But I don't want to do this if no one is going to use the chatroom. What do you think?
All the ppl that are on here most the time, don't you think we will use it?
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

eurobrat wrote:All the ppl that are on here most the time, don't you think we will use it?
Oh lets just make it already! He who doesn't try, doesn't win.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by droid »

I don't think it's a good idea, IMO.
We're all in different time zones and it's nice to be able to think about your lines and be able to post pictures, etc.
And worst of all I think, any useful conversations/information would be lost once the chats are closed (correct me if I'm wrong).
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
WorldTraveler
Experienced Poster

Post by WorldTraveler »

I want a LIKE button, so that i can like great posts!!!