Wow, this website is super slow!

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.
Paloaltoguy
Freshman Poster

Wow, this website is super slow!

Post by Paloaltoguy »

Great job Wu, told you VPS hosting wasn't a good idea! :wink:

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Ghost
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Ghost »

Last edited by Ghost on April 20th, 2020, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny1975
Experienced Poster

Post by Johnny1975 »

Me too.
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

I also noticed that HA is now operating stable, but slow. Really slow!

I have to wait a considerable time to submit a comment, and also have to wait a long time when clicking on EDIT, for example for correcting a spelling mistake.

It was never like that before, it started only a short while ago, same in office, same at home. Response time is slow but I am never really disconnected after my login.

Who else has a similar experience with HA?

Please post comments about the performance of the forum in this thread.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

What's wrong with VPS hosting? What do you suggest? A dedicated server? lol

My friend uses VPS and his site is super fast.

http://www.diagnose-me.com

Have you hacked this site Palo Alto guy?

I have no idea why this site would be slow. Have you tried restarting your computer?

Try my other forum. Is it loading slowly too?

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/forum/index.php

If so, then it's a server problem. If not, then there's a problem with this forum.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

http://www.debunkingskeptics.com/forum/index.php

I think the response is much faster, but I am not a member there and I cannot compare the required time for posting a comment, or editing a comment.

With HA, during my last comments I had to wait about 1 to 3 minutes to get a reply from the HA forum after posting a comment or finishing editing when clicking on SUBMIT.

But I am rather far away here in Tokyo, the problem can be elsewhere too, a long route with many hops etc. I will check it out tomorrow.
Billy
Experienced Poster

Post by Billy »

It´s really slow
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I contacted Bluehost, our webhost, via live chat. They said it's not a server problem. Something in this forum is causing it to load very slowly. I don't know what it is. Can any of you trace it?

Notice that the pages on this site outside of the forum are not loading slowly. Try the ladies forum for example:

http://www.happierabroad.com/ladiesforum/index.php

Does it load normally?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Paloaltoguy finally makes a valid point, this site is slow.

Winston, the ladies forum is fine but this site isn't. This forum is big and is probably stressing phpBB.
The
Junior Poster

Post by The »

Same here man.....been noticing it for the past few days now....
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

Winston wrote: http://www.happierabroad.com/ladiesforum/index.php
Does it load normally?
Yes, it is operating normally, but you cannot compare it with HA.

The Ladiesforum is tiny, free of ads, and almost no members there, no avatars to load etc.

HA needs some databank maintenance, if you ask me, and also should be updated to the latest version.

Such problems like broken databanks, slow performance etc. are not unknown after moving entire forums from one provider to another.

As I said before, it works correctly, but slow, so far I was never disconnected and nothing is missing.
xiongmao
Veteran Poster

Post by xiongmao »

Seems OK here, no probs.
I was Happier Abroad for a while but Covid killed that off.
Fed up with being foreveralone.jpg? Check out my comprehensive directory of dating sites.
Love Chinese girls? Read my complete guide to Chinese dating.
publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

If the both the standard and ladies' forum are both hosted on the same web server and the forum is so much slower, then there is the possibility that the database phpBB uses as a backing store is the problem. Perhaps it needs to be compacted/reindexed.

Winston, where is the forum database hosted? Bluehost?
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

publicduende wrote:If the both the standard and ladies' forum are both hosted on the same web server and the forum is so much slower, then there is the possibility that the database phpBB uses as a backing store is the problem. Perhaps it needs to be compacted/reindexed.

Yes it's hosted on Bluehost. They said that the problem is not on their server.

You guys are right. The forum is very slow for me too. When I click a button, there is a delay before anything happens. I can't figure out what's wrong. Maybe the database is too large. But it seems strange that this would suddenly happen.

I've been trying to fix it by refreshing things but no luck yet. Maybe I'll just have to upgrade to the latest version of phpbb.

I'm not able to find a conflict in the database of this forum and that of the ladies forum. They both use different database usernames and logins.

publicduende
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by publicduende »

Winston wrote:
publicduende wrote:If the both the standard and ladies' forum are both hosted on the same web server and the forum is so much slower, then there is the possibility that the database phpBB uses as a backing store is the problem. Perhaps it needs to be compacted/reindexed.

Yes it's hosted on Bluehost. They said that the problem is not on their server.

You guys are right. The forum is very slow for me too. When I click a button, there is a delay before anything happens. I can't figure out what's wrong. Maybe the database is too large. But it seems strange that this would suddenly happen.

I've been trying to fix it by refreshing things but no luck yet. Maybe I'll just have to upgrade to the latest version of phpbb.

I'm not able to find a conflict in the database of this forum and that of the ladies forum. They both use different database usernames and logins.
That's what you need to know. If the database (usually MySQL but occasionally MS SQL Server) is hosted with them, they should be able to support it as part of the hosting package, or at an additional fee in the worst case scenario.

Either way, if they're a reputable company they should be able to troubleshoot the database for you. I am no database expert, but usually all it takes is half an hour to run a performance diagnostic tool and see the source of the problem, and a few hours to fix it. It's quite likely that the database has reached some sort of threshold and need be compacted, or reindexed, or optimised.

I would suggest you call them and ask to investigate. The site has been extremely slow from here, a good 5-10 seconds to load the latest topics, move to a new page in a topic, post a reply, basically anything that requires a database operation.