Any of you want a dark mode forum theme?

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.

Do you prefer to browser the forum in a dark background theme?

Yes I would like to browse the forum in a dark background theme. Please install one so I can set it as my theme in my User Control Panel.
38%
No I don't need one. I prefer the current theme.
50%
No I don't need one. However, you should install a dark background theme anyway in case someone else wants it, or in case I change my mind later, or I may want to try it out just for fun some time. So please provide it as an option.
13%

Total votes: 8
Winston
Site Admin

Any of you want a dark mode forum theme?

Post by Winston »

Poll question:

Do any of you prefer to browse the forum with one of those dark background themes with light colored text? If so, I can upload a dark background theme and activate it, so that you can set it as your theme preference in your User Control Panel. The dark background theme would look something like this:

https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... l/demo/3.0

You could set it as your theme preference, and then you would see that as the forum theme, while the rest are viewing the default theme.

Let's take a poll. If enough people want to use a dark background theme, I can install and activate one like the above.

Cast your vote. You may change your vote at a later time by resubmitting it above.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

hammanta
Junior Poster

Re: Poll: Do any of you want a dark background forum theme?

Post by hammanta »

No, it looks too video game-ish. I'd keep it as is.
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Poll: Do any of you want a dark background forum theme?

Post by Winston »

Ok we've switched back from the Halloween theme to the regular theme now.

Since the Halloween theme is a dark background one, I've decided to keep it active as an alternate theme that one can select if they prefer it.

To select it as your theme, go to your User Control Panel linked above. Under Board Preferences, you will see an option for My Board Style. There you can select the Halloween theme. Then click submit and you will be viewing that theme again. So if any of you prefer it, you can always switch to it.

Here is the link for your User Control Panel.
ucp.php
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Poll: Do any of you want a dark or black forum theme?

Post by Winston »

Just to let you guys know, if any of you prefer a dark or black forum theme, I've installed two of them. You can choose them from your UCP panel. Here is what they look like:

index.php?style=11

index.php?style=12

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Winston wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 2:14 am
Just to let you guys know, if any of you prefer a dark or black forum theme, I've installed two of them. You can choose them from your UCP panel. Here is what they look like:

index.php?style=11

index.php?style=12
Yes, I usually darken all screens if I can. I don't want to stare into a light bulb. Early web pages had gray backgrounds. I really could not understand why Windows chose themes nearly as bright as light bulbs when Windows 95 came out or why they got rid of the ability to control background colors for the most part after XP.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I agree MrMan. Dark backgrounds are easier on the eyes. Remember back in the early 80's when the Apple II computer came out? It had a green text with black background. Very easy on the eyes. Even today, if you work in a medical office in America, the computer they use usually has light text on a dark background. They know it's much better for the office workers.

Doesn't Windows offer different color themes under the display options? Have you checked? They may have a dark background theme.

Have you also tried using a blue filter screen on your laptop? That should help too.

Anyway, I'll probably put a link to the dark background theme here at the top of the forum, so users can access it easier.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok done. I put a link to the dark theme of the forum at the top, under the big banner next to the Mobile theme link. So if you guys want to use it, just click on it. Also, if you want to switch back to the light theme, there is a link at the top of the dark theme back to the light theme to. So it's easy to switch between the two.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I'm using the dark theme now. It's really nice. Feels like staring at the stars in the night sky. Much easier on the eyes, and feels soothing and relaxing too. You guys should give it a try and see if you feel the same way.

MrMan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MrMan »

Shout box text is too dark in dark theme. Otherwise, everything looks good, and of course it is much better than the light bulb theme.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I noticed that. The shout box text is too dark, but no biggie. It hardly gets used anyway. lol

I am still using the dark theme and it is far easier on the eyes for sure. And it feels relaxed too, like looking at the night sky. lol

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Update:

I fixed up the dark theme and put the navigation links and all that back, so it works again and is back to the way it was before the upgrade. See here:

index.php?style=11

Try it out guys. It's much easier on the eyes, especially at night.

Btw, just a reminder, if you want to change your forum default theme, so that you don't have to click the theme you want at the top every time you come here, you can enable it in your UCP. I set it so that you can choose your preferred theme so that you will see it each time you come here, rather than the default theme.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Just to let you all know, if you're using the dark theme, and you go to the latest 100 topics page, all the links there will go to the light theme version of the forum. There is no separate version of that page for the dark theme. I might be able to install one, but there's probably no need. Because if you want to just see the latest topics, you can also go to the Active Topics Page too, which will show them. The dark theme has its own version of the Active Topics Page that will have links that stay within the dark theme. Just click View Active Topics or View Your Posts in the dark theme and see.

Also, the dark theme of the forum still keeps the profiles on the left side of the screen by default. So if you strongly prefer seeing the profiles on the left side of the thread, rather than the right side like in the light theme (which I cannot do anything about at the moment), then you can use the dark theme. Just click the link to it at the top under the banner.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Btw, if any of you want to see what this topic page looks like in the dark theme, click here: viewtopic.php?style=11&f=24&t=25032

Neo
Junior Poster

Post by Neo »

Winston wrote:
May 10th, 2020, 4:53 pm
Btw, if any of you want to see what this topic page looks like in the dark theme, click here: viewtopic.php?style=11&f=24&t=25032
dark theme still not working, x 2.
Prudence is the knowledge of things to be sought, and those to be shunned.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Did you click this?

index.php?style=11

What happens when you click it?