Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.


Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife



View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile


Poll: Should we set up a Judicial Committee to decide issues

Post your suggestions and feedback for this site and movement. You can also report a problem or suggest new board topics.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Should we set up a Judicial Committee?

Yes! That's a great idea and would bring more organization and structure to this forum!
6
60%
No. That would overcomplicate things. I think we should just have all the members vote on issues here instead.
1
10%
No. Just have moderators decide all issues. Isn't that what they are for?
2
20%
No opinion. Undecided.
1
10%
 
Total votes : 10

Poll: Should we set up a Judicial Committee to decide issues

Postby Winston » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:37 pm

I have an idea. Instead of voting on every issue, or having me decide everything, how about we set up a judicial committee to make decisions on banning and other issues? It would sort of be like a Parliament or Senate that casts votes on issues, proposals and amendments after discussing them.

The committee would consist of our most trusted members who have demonstrated good judgment, fairness, rationality, credibility, good sense, and mental stability. The members should also not be people who have extreme views or are clearly delusional in some way. Instead, they be down-to-earth, open-minded and able to see the big picture.

We could create a new board for the committee to discuss and vote on issues and proposals. Jester suggested that we call this new committee "The House of Lords". We could elect the members of the committee, or just have me pick them. My choices would be:

Jester
Fschmidt
Rock
Mr S
Zboy1
Jamesbond
Ladislav
Falcon
Momopi
Steve55
Davewe
Outwest
MarcosZeitola
Ghost
Drealm
E Irizarry R&B Singer
The_Adventurer
Eurobrat
Jackal
MrPeabody
Gsjackson
Publicduende

What do you all think? Is this a good idea?

Is there anyone else that you all want to nominate? I guess we should also elect a "Chairperson" of the committee too.

Then after the vote is cast by the committee, it could be sent to the Chairperson, or me, for final approval or veto. What do you think?

Let's do a poll. Cast your vote above. You may change it later if you like by selecting another option and hitting submit.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23568
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm







Re: Poll: Should we set up a Judicial Committee to decide is

Postby S_Parc » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:28 pm

Where's your Joe Biden, to decide if there's a tie among the 20?

I can be Biden; realize, Joe's a clown and there isn't a greater antihero around here than me :)
16 years ago, the Best Picture of 1999, "American Beauty", telegraphed the message of Happier Abroad to the world.

Beware of long term engagements with AWs, you may find yourself in a coffin.

AB discussion thread

BTW, despite settling down with an AW, myself, the warning is still in effect.
S_Parc
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2414
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:01 pm

Re: Poll: Should we set up a Judicial Committee to decide is

Postby davewe » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:05 pm

This might not be a bad idea for HA proposals and amendments, but don't throw bannings into the mix. It's the mods and owner who should decide on punishments, since it is they who are more familiar with all the potential offenses.

The real question is (and has always been) what happens when this committee decides on a change which Winston doesn't like. At that point he would overrule and/or get rid of the committee. Ultimately Winston owns HA and I see no reason to believe he's gonna give up control of his little kingdom.
Check out my blog @ www.marriedafilipina.com
davewe
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1391
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:21 am

Re: Poll: Should we set up a Judicial Committee to decide is

Postby steve55 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:57 pm

Yea, I think mods can do that job since that's their job. But a committe is ok too but it seems more complicated to do a committee.
* Member of the Happier Abroad Team and Owner of Global Dating Solution
steve55
Junior Poster
 
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:40 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: Poll: Should we set up a Judicial Committee to decide is

Postby Winston » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:45 pm

davewe wrote:This might not be a bad idea for HA proposals and amendments, but don't throw bannings into the mix. It's the mods and owner who should decide on punishments, since it is they who are more familiar with all the potential offenses.

The real question is (and has always been) what happens when this committee decides on a change which Winston doesn't like. At that point he would overrule and/or get rid of the committee. Ultimately Winston owns HA and I see no reason to believe he's gonna give up control of his little kingdom.


Great points davewe. Those are great considerations. However:

1. I'm sure that I'd agree with most of the committee's decisions, especially since I've picked the members. We are all on very similar wavelengths.

2. If I start traveling extensively I will probably not have much time to manage this forum. In that case the committee can decide things.

But you are right though. Perhaps this idea would overcomplicate things. Maybe we don't need to have a committee yet unless the issues become too numerous to deal with. Perhaps we don't need that much organization yet unless the forum grows a lot bigger.

If we need more moderation we can just appoint new moderators such as jester or others.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23568
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: Poll: Should we set up a Judicial Committee to decide is

Postby eurobrat » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:29 pm

Winston wrote:I have an idea. Instead of voting on every issue, or having me decide everything, how about we set up a judicial committee to make decisions on banning and other issues? It would sort of be like a Parliament or Senate that casts votes on issues, proposals and amendments after discussing them.

The committee would consist of our most trusted members who have demonstrated good judgment, fairness, rationality, credibility, good sense, and mental stability. The members should also not be people who have extreme views or are clearly delusional in some way. Instead, they be down-to-earth, open-minded and able to see the big picture.

We could create a new board for the committee to discuss and vote on issues and proposals. Jester suggested that we call this new committee "The House of Lords". We could elect the members of the committee, or just have me pick them. My choices would be:

Jester
Fschmidt
Rock
Mr S
Zboy1
Jamesbond
Ladislav
Falcon
Momopi
Steve55
Davewe
Outwest
MarcosZeitola
Ghost
Drealm
E Irizarry R&B Singer
The_Adventurer
Eurobrat
Jackal
MrPeabody

What do you all think? Is this a good idea?

Is there anyone else that you all want to nominate? I guess we should also elect a "Chairperson" of the committee too.

Then after the vote is cast by the committee, it could be sent to the Chairperson, or me, for final approval or veto. What do you think?

Let's do a poll. Cast your vote above. You may change it later if you like by selecting another option and hitting submit.


How does this work? What kind of cool powers would I get?
eurobrat
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:18 am

Re: Poll: Should we set up a Judicial Committee to decide is

Postby Winston » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:23 am

eurobrat wrote:How does this work? What kind of cool powers would I get?


You would get to vote in a committee hearing and voice your opinions on the matters being discussed. Kind of like what the congressmen do in the house of representatives. Lol
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23568
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: Poll: Should we set up a Judicial Committee to decide is

Postby Tsar » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:13 am

eurobrat wrote:How does this work? What kind of cool powers would I get?


I already know Eurobrat's first forum proposal. He would put forth a committee vote requesting to give me a permanent ban. I can tell based on his posts directed my way (which are always negative) that I'm the the number one member on the list of members he doesn't want around. Why else would he consistently direct his negative posts my way?
Tsar
Experienced Poster
 
Posts: 1807
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:40 pm

Re: Poll: Should we set up a Judicial Committee to decide is

Postby fschmidt » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:06 am

I posted my opinion here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25272&start=30#p208727
-------------------------------------------
I hate both committees and democracy, but I am unsure how to handle things as a moderator here. I suggest a public "Moderation" forum. Moderators should have nothing to hide. People can post complaints there and moderators can propose action. If a moderator proposes an action and no other moderator objects within 24 hours, then the moderator can go ahead with his action. If there is disagreement between moderators then Winston can make the final decision. As a public forum, anyone can express their opinion but they have no power.
-------------------------------------------

I got no response.

I think a committee will be a disaster, no moderation will get done.
Following the Old Testament, not evil modern culture
fschmidt
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2118
Joined: Sun May 18, 2008 8:16 am
Location: El Paso, TX

Re: Poll: Should we set up a Judicial Committee to decide is

Postby newlifeinphilippines » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:43 am

this committee is rigged like a hong kong puppet government .
newlifeinphilippines
Veteran Poster
 
Posts: 2419
Joined: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: Poll: Should we set up a Judicial Committee to decide is

Postby Winston » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:16 pm

Update:

At jesters suggestion, I added gsjackson and publicduende to the committee list.

Maybe we should make jester the chairman of the committee. He is wise and experienced and a tall man. Leaders tend to be tall because we are hardwired to follow the biggest and tallest of the bunch.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23568
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Re: Poll: Should we set up a Judicial Committee to decide is

Postby Jester » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:06 am

Winston wrote:
Maybe we should make jester the chairman of the committee. He is wise and experienced



Jester the Wise.

I like it.

:mrgreen:


.... and a tall man. Leaders tend to be tall because we are hardwired to follow the biggest and tallest of the bunch.



What makes you think I'm tall? We only talked on the phone!

:idea:
I need a tall avatar!
"Pick a point and go to it."
-- Dr John Hunsucker, speaking about canoeing on Georgia's Lake Lanier, with its irregular shape, and 1000 miles of meandering shoreline
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster
 
Posts: 7866
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:10 am
Location: Chiang Mai Thailand

Re: Poll: Should we set up a Judicial Committee to decide is

Postby Winston » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:32 pm

Jester wrote:
Winston wrote:
Maybe we should make jester the chairman of the committee. He is wise and experienced



Jester the Wise.

I like it.

:mrgreen:


.... and a tall man. Leaders tend to be tall because we are hardwired to follow the biggest and tallest of the bunch.



What makes you think I'm tall? We only talked on the phone!

:idea:
I need a tall avatar!


I can tell you're tall by your voice. Haha.

Just kidding. People who have met you told me that you are tall.

Another thing is that you are the kind of guy who sees the big picture. And all good leaders have that quality.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
User avatar
Winston
Site Admin
 
Posts: 23568
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:16 pm


Return to Suggestions, Feedback, Report a Problem

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest