Latest 100 Topics Page - Superfluous?

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Latest 100 Topics Page - Superfluous?

Post by fschmidt »

What is the purpose of "Latest 100 Topics"? It lists exactly the same threads as "View Active Topics". Compare:

search.php?search_id=active_topics
latesttopics.php

It seems superfluous to me, so I suggest just removing it if it has issues.

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Winston
Site Admin

Re: Latest 100 Topics

Post by Winston »

Well technically, the Latest 100 Topics page shows the latest 100 topics in the forum, while the Active Topics page shows the topics that have activity within the past 7 days, which can be changed to 14 or more days if the user wishes. That's the difference. Plus the Active Topics page is in a format that looks like it's part of the forum theme, because it is. And it shows the date of the topic as well as the number of posts in them, as well as the last poster. But the Latest 100 Topics page only shows the last poster and topic name, nothing else. No dates or post count.

So I don't know why Rock claimed the Latest 100 Topics page is more detailed and useful than the Active Topics page. That was odd and perhaps a strange error on his part. I wonder if he will admit it. Care to explain Rock? lol

Btw Fschmidt, we should not remove that page because many forum members prefer it over the Active Topics page, including Rock. Besides, leaving it there does no harm. You don't need to click on it.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
droid
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Latest 100 Topics Page - Superfluous?

Post by droid »

The active topics page is a little bit cluttered with information.
While the Latest-topics has smaller font to see more thread titles over the screen, on a white background, and has the eye candy of some girls on the left side panel.
It's easier on the eyes i guess.

An aside here, PLEASE DON't change the site or the forum to any Wordpress/Cloud bullsh*t. Right now it loads fast and feels responsive :idea:
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

Winston wrote:Well technically, the Latest 100 Topics page shows the latest 100 topics in the forum, while the Active Topics page shows the topics that have activity within the past 7 days, which can be changed to 14 or more days if the user wishes. That's the difference. Plus the Active Topics page is in a format that looks like it's part of the forum theme, because it is. And it shows the date of the topic as well as the number of posts in them, as well as the last poster. But the Latest 100 Topics page only shows the last poster and topic name, nothing else. No dates or post count.

So I don't know why Rock claimed the Latest 100 Topics page is more detailed and useful than the Active Topics page. That was odd and perhaps a strange error on his part. I wonder if he will admit it. Care to explain Rock? lol

Btw Fschmidt, we should not remove that page because many forum members prefer it over the Active Topics page, including Rock. Besides, leaving it there does no harm. You don't need to click on it.
Detailed? When did I say it's more detailed? You imagined that or made it up.

But I did say I prefer it and that you should monitor it because, as I understand, it lists the last 100 threads in order of latest posts. So by monitoring this list once or twice a day, you will be alerted to all new posts. So it's a way to follow forum comprehensively and never miss posts.

Most active topics, if title is accurate, lists out those threads where most activity (most posts) is happening. So if a thread it not getting much activity, say someone opened it but nobody else responded, it does not show up on most active topics. Is that correct? If you only monitor that, it's possible to miss many posts, especially new threads which don't get any start-up traction.

Since I monitor the Latest 100 topics on near daily basis, I am aware of virtually all new posts. But Winston and others who only use Most Active Topics to follow forum miss many of them.

Is my understanding of Most Active Topics function correct? I mean do many threads which say only garner 1-2 posts don't make it there even though the posts were made in the last few hours?
fschmidt
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by fschmidt »

Rock wrote:Is my understanding of Most Active Topics function correct?
No. The 2 functions generate the same list of threads. Just compare them.
Rock
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Rock »

fschmidt wrote:
Rock wrote:Is my understanding of Most Active Topics function correct?
No. The 2 functions generate the same list of threads. Just compare them.
If that's the case, why does Winston sometimes miss my posts (ones that he later comments on when I alert him via chat), even though that's what he uses to monitor the forum?
drealm
Junior Poster

Post by drealm »

Last 100 Topics:

- Thread Title
- Last Poster

View Active:

- Thread Title
- Last Poster
- Last Poster Date
- First Poster
- First Poster Date
- Pages
- Category
- Reply Count
- View Count

I prefer Last 100 Topics because has less information. All I care about is thread title/last poster.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Rock,
No thats not right. It is as fschmidt said. The active topics pages shows all active topics within the last 7 days by default, though you can change the settings for longer periods. Yes this includes those topics with zero replies. As long as its within the last 7 days. Its not a "most active topics" page. Its the LATEST topics by ascending order with newest on top. Its ordered by the last topic that someone posted in. So yes like fschmidt said it shows the same order of topics as the latest 100 topics page. One is by number, 100, and the other by time, 7 days.

Hope that clears it up.

The reason i miss your posts sometimes is because i dont check either page all the time. I usually only check View Your Posts page which shows replies to my threads, but not new topics just created. If i have time i will then check active topics page too. But i dont always have time for that. Hope that clears that up too.

This is the page i first check in the forum. I dont always check new topics.

search.php?search_id=egosearch

You did say in another thread that the latest 100 topics page showed more info. Ill copy and paste what you wrote later.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne