Any problems with lagging/hanging in this forum?

Post your suggestions and feedback for the forum. You can also report a problem, troubleshoot an issue with forum functionality, or suggest new board topics.
Winston
Site Admin

Any problems with lagging/hanging in this forum?

Post by Winston »

Are any of you also having a problem making posts? Lately when I submit a post it hangs a lot and stalls often and then shows a page error, but when i use the back browser it shows that its been posted. Seems like somethings wrong with the database.

Anyone else here also getting this problem when submitting posts?
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

Join my Dating Site to meet thousands of legit foreign girls at low cost!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Winston
Site Admin

Re: Problem submitting posts, slow and hanging?

Post by Winston »

So no one here is having a problem here while loading pages and submitting posts? No hanging or lagging?? I guess thats good news then. Im trying to diagnose the problem to see if its our internet connection or website server or database. It seems specific to here only.
Check out my FUN video clips in Russia and SE Asia and Female Encounters of the Foreign Kind video series and Full Russia Trip Videos!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Any problems with lagging/hanging in this forum?

Post by Adama »

it happens almost every time I try to post. That is why there are so many double posts on this forum. It has been happening for years but in the last month it has gotten much worse. That's also why there are sometimes two or more threads with the same title made at once.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Adama, when you submit a post, approximately how many seconds does it take before you see the confirmation message that its been submitted?

Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Adama »

Winston wrote:Adama, when you submit a post, approximately how many seconds does it take before you see the confirmation message that its been submitted?
If it is working it comes up in a reasonable time frame, but when it is not working, it hangs for a long, long time. I haven't measured but waiting makes me want to open another window because it takes so long.
A good man is above pettiness. He is better than that.
Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Well I think I fixed the database problem this time. I found out how to fix the index file in the phpbb_posts table. It checks out as normal and repaired now. So the forum should work normally now. Let me know if it runs smoothly now or still lags.

I'm posting the solution below for future reference.

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... rom-mysql/
Note 2: There can also be instances where a table says it is repaired, but still gives problems. This happens when an index file has some subtle forms of damage that the normal repair process does not handle. There is only one way to fix those errors, which involves telling MySQL to throw away the index completely, then rebuild it from scratch. This can be dangerous, which is why the script does NOT do this normally. It is highly suggested that you have your host make a backup of the table files first, just in case.

If you are doing this through phpmyadmin or similar, the command becomes:

Code: Select all

REPAIR TABLE phpbb_users USE_FRM;

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Are you all able to post now? The forum had a lot of problems earlier. I did live chat with bluehost support but they could not find anything wrong with the server here. And i made repairs on the forum database many times. Tons of times. And i did checks on the database tables too and they all said everything was ok and fixed.

Yet the forum still kept timing out and failing to load. It was very mysterious. No explanation. Maybe dark forces or illuminati were sabotaging the forum. Lol. I don't know WTF is going on!

I guess i should upgrade the software soon to phpbb 3.2. Maybe that will fix it.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Is the forum working better now? Are you all able to submit posts with no problem?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Do you guys experience any lag time when you try to submit posts?

If no one replies i guess i assume that you don't then? Only adama does?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Alright we are going to try to upgrade this forum to phpbb 3.2 to fix this lagging problem. See announcement here.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=36653

However if that doesnt fix the problem, we may have to migrate to mybb forum platform, which is the platform that rooshv forum uses. It looks smooth and clean. But the problem is that their link structure is different so all internal links in this forum will not work anymore, unless of course i am able to find a way to create a redirect command in htaccess file to redirect the links, but to do that the pages would have to contain the same ID numbers in each thread that can be pointed to consistently.

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

I've just created a ticket for the phpbb developers staff to report a bug in their platform and database that may be causing the database crashing problems here. I'm pasting it below to keep a copy for my records in case I ever need to copy and paste it again.

https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-15459
Dear phpbb developers,

My forum database table called "phpbb_posts" keeps crashing and this is a recurring problem, even when fixed. Every time I repair it using phpmyadmin, it says it's ok, but it eventually crashes again, especially if I try to optimize the table. First it said the index file was wrong. Then it said the key was in the wrong position. Then it crashes if I try to do anymore and the whole forum will not operate.

Lately my forum has been slowing down and lagging and crashing a lot, with "time out" errors, especially when I try to submit a post. I have been discussing this issue with phpbb support staff in the phpbb support forum in this thread here:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=2446616

Please see the conversation above. No one seems to know what's wrong. My webhost denies anything is wrong with their servers, and phpbb support denies there's anything wrong with phpbb platform and claims it must be the webhost server. Both sides blame the other and doesn't want to admit the problem is on their end. So I am stuck.

This appears to be a common problem. Other people have reported that this table "phpbb_posts" has also crashed in their forum. See the Google search below to see many threads in the phpbb forum where this has been reported by others as well, not just me.

https://www.phpbb.com/search/?q=phpbb_posts+repair

https://www.google.com.tw/search?q=how+ ... 24&bih=494

It appears that this must be due to some deep corruption or flaw or incompatibility in the database that cannot be detected by normal repair tools or phpmyadmin system. And it is persistent and recurring unfortunately. I've had this problem for several years now with all the phpbb 3 versions that I've used.

Therefore, I request that you look into repairing this somehow, since this is not an easy problem to solve.
By the way, in case you need to examine or test it, the link to my forum is:

index.php

Thanks for your attention.

Sincerely,
Winston

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok at my friends suggestion, I turned on my VPN. Its using a proxy in germany. My friend was right that this must be a problem between me and my forum server. The forum works better with a VPN but still lags a bit. But it runs much faster under a VPN. I wonder why. Maybe Taiwan ISPs are punishing me for all my anti taiwan articles. Lol

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

My website may be firewalled in taiwan. I remember when you try to visit blocked sites in china, it also freezes and lags and times out. Similar problem. So perhaps taiwan firewalled by site because i keep bashing it as a place that totally sucks and is antisocial and unfriendly.

I used a vpn proxy and my forum loads ok from other countries. And the site tools.pingdom.com does not show any errors either. Either its my ISP or its Taiwan blocking my site deliberately. After all i am able to access other sites ok. So i guess Taiwan now has an internet firewall too?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

@Adama do you still experience any lagging time while submitting posts here? Whats the status on that?

I'm using a VPN to get around it. If i dont the forum fails to load most of the time. Must be something wrong with the trace route. I used ping tools app and some of the router points show no response.

@momopi does taiwans government block websites that it deems offensive?

Winston
Site Admin

Post by Winston »

Ok well the problem is fixed on my end now. I called my ISP in Taiwan and they changed my ISP to a different company to see if it would be fixed. It was. After the ISP change, the trace route to this site from my home worked normally without problem. I guess it wasn't a government block after all. Just a mysterious problem with the other ISP.