Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Thurs nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts with FREE Prizes!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE Live AFA Seminar! See locations and details.

Scam free! Check out Christian Filipina - Meet Asian women with Christian values! Members screened.
Exclusive book offer! 75% off! How to Meet, Date and Marry Your Filipina Wife

View Active Topics       Latest 100 Topics       View Your Posts       FAQ Topics       Switch to Mobile

Should we upgrade to Vbulletin?

Post your suggestions and feedback for this site and movement. You can also report a problem or suggest new board topics.

Moderators: jamesbond, fschmidt

Should we upgrade to Vbulletin?

Postby Winston » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:13 am

See here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthre ... -vBulletin

I started my forum with phpbb. After migrating to vB after two years, search engine traffic doubled in a few months. This alone is a deciding advantage of vB.

In case any dev reads this: make vB even more SE friendly. Dump some other features if you have to.

That was written back in 2005. Do you think it still applies? If we switch to vbulletin here, would search engine traffic double?

vbulletin forums do seem to show up higher in search engine hits than phpBB forums. Why is that?
Last edited by Winston on Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out the latest posts in our blog The Happier Abroaders.

Don't forget my HA Grand Ebook and Dating Sites!

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Adama » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:28 am

What ever this programming is you are using now, it is very user unfriendly. If it isnt too much of a pain, VB would be an awesome upgrade to this site. The way it is now is weird and cumbersome. Certain normal things you would expect are either missing altogether or in odd places.

For example, clicking on someone's name doesnt work. You have to search for the profile button. The time/date stamp is at the bottom of each post instead of the top. So you have to scroll to see how recent the post is. Some other stuff I cant remember.
Adama
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby momopi » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:02 am

The most popular online forum on this planet is Gaia Online, and they use a customized version of phpbb. Changing software is not going to magically make your forum more popular. If you want to draw people in, you must have fresh content.

vBulletin now has CMS system, which is quite nice if you actually use it:
http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=screenshots
momopi
Elite Upper Class Poster

Postby Winston » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:22 am

J.Adama,

Can you list what features you want that are missing? I will try to install them.

Momopi,

But there is fresh content on this board everyday. Isn't that enough? What other content is needed?

So you don't think at this point, that changing to VB is going to make much of a difference in search engine optimization?

Maybe that was true in 2005. This forum software is from 2006. It may not be the latest, but it is very functional at least.

"It takes far less effort to find and move to the society that has what you want than it does to try to reconstruct an existing society to match your standards." - Harry Browne, How I Found Freedom in an Unfree World
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Winston » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:37 am

Should we upgrade to Vbulletin? See an overview of the features it has here:

https://www.vbulletin.com

However, I remember that once you bought their forum software, you had a lifetime license. Now it seems that their license expires. I don't know why. I wrote their support about it. Did they change their policy for the worse?

Also, their new 4.0 theme looks very nice and has similar colors to this forum. I would be cool with that. See these screenshots here:

https://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=screenshots

However, the admin panel looks very tedious to use, as you can see from the screen shots above. The one I have here is very easy to use and figure out, even for new mods.

What do you all think?

Anyway, this is what their new default theme looks like. It's quite nice, don't you think?

Winston
Site Admin

Postby Blue Murder » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:07 pm

Doesn't matter to me 'cos I'll be gone, but this and Zetaboards are good ideas. Note: This is the sixth time I've said it now, but yes -- a change would be nice. I'd prefer Zetaboards over Vbulletin, but either of the two over the current engine.
Self-improvement addict. Always striving for perfection.
Blue Murder
Junior Poster

Return to Suggestions, Feedback, Report a Problem