Australia looks to drop anonymity of past sperm donors

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Australia, New Zealand and the Oceania region.
Teal Lantern
Veteran Poster

Australia looks to drop anonymity of past sperm donors

Post by Teal Lantern »

tl;dr -- Cupcake talks guy into shitty decision she regrets. She bolts.
40 years later, he's left to deal with any fallout on his own.

When sperm-donor children come calling
Ian Morrison donated his semen mostly because his then-girlfriend, a biology student, suggested it. She came to regret this: the week-long sex ban before each donation was a disaster for their agile early-20s love life. But something else was driving Morrison – a basic desire to help infertile couples have children.

It was 1976, and Morrison was a 21-year-old dream donor: his sperm were numerous and talented swimmers. Melbourne's Queen Victoria clinic asked him for three batches of donations under the promise of perpetual anonymity. No one would know his identity, and he agreed never to track down any offspring or their parents.
Morrison went on to have a son and daughter with his wife (not the biology student; the sex bans killed that relationship) and run several successful cleaning businesses. Freshly divorced, he now lives in his "man cave" – a factory in Melbourne's bayside suburbs – alongside his vintage motorbike collection.

Then, last year, through a television show, he discovered his anonymity as a sperm donor was about to be destroyed by one of the world's most far-reaching reforms to how donor-conceived people are treated under the law. "I was just stunned," he says. "Absolutely stunned."
http://www.theage.com.au/good-weekend/w ... z3kx1d1RAP

tl;dr -- Another derp about to be punished for not keeping his goo-shooter holstered. :roll:
Wealthy sperm donor fears contact from more than two dozen offspring
A wealthy sperm donor who has more than 24 children is pleading with the Victorian government to keep his identity secret because he fears his offspring will want to contact him and establish relationships. (Yeah, relationships with his wallet. ~Teal :lol: )

The sperm donor is threatening legal action over the government's controversial plan to release the personal details of men who donated sperm anonymously in the 1980s and 1990s, regardless of whether they consent.

The senior academic told Fairfax Media his greatest fear is that two dozen young adults could start arriving on the doorstep of his home in an affluent Melbourne suburb seeking a father figure, or money.

"I'm not massively rich, but I've made a few bob along the way. I don't want them thinking 'Ooh, look at this guy living in a big house... with a Mercedes in his driveway'," he said.

"When you think about it, anyone who contacts you is going to have a problem.... If I have that many kids, what is the chance of having one who is disabled?"

The man, now aged in his 60s, donated sperm on dozens of occasions in the 1980s because he and his wife felt sorry for infertile couples.
(Not sorry enough to share funds with the "results", though? ~Teal :roll: )
They have not told their own adult children about it and he recently learnt his sperm had produced more than 20 children for 12 families.
(Just wait until they recalculate their inheritance. ~Teal :shock: :lol: )
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/wealt ... z3kx2C3Qh5

Lesson: Pre-faptial agreements hold up even less well than prenuptial ones. Class dismissed. :D
не поглеждай назад. 8)

"Even an American judge is unlikely to award child support for imputed children." - FredOnEverything
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Australia looks to drop anonymity of past sperm donors

Post by Yohan »

I do not see any reason to be a sperm donor and of course those children created might try to identify you later on - there is no law which forbids that, nowhere in this world as far as I know.

Some might be only curious, others however might try to get money out of their 'father'.

Even more complicated is it when a sperm donor does not give sperm to a laboratory, but directly to a woman. Cases are known where many years later on such mothers - and not their children - follow the donor and try to collect child support.

Sperm donor? = Sorry, no way!

I am not against medical donation like blood donation. Such donations make sense and help to save life - but for what should be sperm donation be good for?

If you cannot create your own children, look around. There are plenty of children worldwide, abandoned, orphans, mistreated etc. etc. who are looking for a good home. You might offer just foster care, or decide for adoption...
MarcosZeitola
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by MarcosZeitola »

I wouldn't be too worried personally. It's a very effective way to spread one's seed, and in my country both the donor and the receiving party had to sign documents. Documents in which the receiving woman waves any rights, and the donor does the same. If by some miracle I still get in trouble, big deal, I'll be on the other side of the world anyway.
On "Faux-Tradionalists" and why they're heading nowhere: viewtopic.php?style=1&f=37&t=29144
Yohan
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Yohan »

The best is never to donate any sperm - for what should this be good for? There are plenty of children worldwide who need help, better care about those already in this world, no need to create them.

About contracts, you cannot trust them. Laws are changing all the time, and contracts are rather worthless. I need only to look up my marriage contract...
Today marriage is more or less a legal trap for men, it's a no-win position for them. On the other side, women and lawyers are known to make a good business out of divorce, let me stress out of 'no-fault divorce'.

I am married since over 3 decades, with children and luckily I have no problems - however comparing my legal situation now and almost 4 decades ago, I cannot recommend any man to marry in Western pro-feminist countries, not to talk about children. Why to risk to ruin yourself financially despite you had best intention?