Back in Saudi

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Africa or the Middle East.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Back in Saudi

Post by ladislav »

I am back in Saudi Arabia after a 5.5 year break. Compared different jobs in the US and again the Saudi package wins hands down.

I am in Dammam now. Just as you get here, the wealth of the place, the general prosperity strikes you immediately. The quality of the roads, the houses, the shiny malls, and the smiling people all make you feel good.

It's a happy society by and large and it rubs off on you.

This is what it looks like:

Note the quality of the houses. Thick stone, very sturdy.

Not all is well, though. There have been attacks on Westerners so you have to be careful. Anyway, my plan is to stay one year inshallah.
Last edited by ladislav on February 3rd, 2015, 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
E Irizarry R&B Singer
Elite Upper Class Poster

Re: Back in Saudi

Post by E Irizarry R&B Singer »

I wish you luck. I'm glad to know that you're back there.
Moretorque
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Moretorque »

Thanks for the info.
Time to Hide!
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

What did you do with your house in Akron?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

If you guys need money and want to experience an Arab equivalent of Palm Springs and Newport Beach, then this place is for you. I always enjoy its total silence, its great service and most superb infrastructure.

As far as my house is Akron, I am renting downstairs and now looking for a tenant for upstairs, too.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

ladislav wrote:If you guys need money and want to experience an Arab equivalent of Palm Springs and Newport Beach, then this place is for you. I always enjoy its total silence, its great service and most superb infrastructure.
What credentials do you need? If I got an Oxford certification but had no experience, could I get a job there?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Congratulations, Lad!!

PS I would love to see any video or pics of what the inside of an expat compound is like.

Clothes drying over the bathtub?
Or luxury apartments?
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

But for those of us with puny qualifications, will they hire us?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

People with an unrelated 4 year degree who want to teach in Saudi may take this route.

They get a CELTA certificate and do a year in China, Korea, Japan. Some do it concurrently, some do it before or after, etc.
Then, they get a low end job in Oman- do a year.

Now, you are ready to apply in Saudi.

Takes 2 years.

Some people are lucky to get a job in Saudi right away. Some- after 2 years of teaching elsewhere. Some do it after 1 year. It depends.

There may be jobs in Saudi in your profession so you don't need to be an ESL teacher. There were jobs for HVAC instructors some time ago. Start visiting expat boards.

Clothes drying over the bathtub?
My a##!

Free laundry. You can also hire a houseboy and pay him $10 to clean and iron everything on a weekend. Ever damn thing! Your apartment will sparkle, your clothes will be pressed and clean.
Or luxury apartments?
F***ing aye, dude!

Life on a compound looks like in one of those 55+ gated communities in AZ, CA, NM. These are some views:

English teachers may be housed in apartment buildings, though. These usually look like this:

I am in this one but can walk to the bigger compound:

This is a restaurant at the compound:

This is a bowling alley:

Some stay in apartment buildings but get access to the compound nearby and can just walk there.

So, it's not bad at all.

Remember that it's all free. Every f**king thing is free. Except the food. No rents ( no deposits) or utilities need to be paid, no furniture/utensils/beddings need to be bought. Cable and Wi FI are complimentary. Gym is free. Transportation to work is free. Vacation tickets are paid by the company.
No taxes. Yeah, read my lips! No taxes.
Hero
Experienced Poster

Post by Hero »

ladislav wrote: They get a CELTA certificate and do a year in China, Korea, Japan. Some do it concurrently, some do it before or after, etc.

No taxes. Yeah, read my lips! No taxes.
It has to be CELTA?

Don't you still have to pay U.S. taxes?
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Hero wrote:
Don't you still have to pay U.S. taxes?
Not unless you're self-employed.

But if the job is on the books, as Lad's clearly is, you're NOT self-employed.
Very peachy indeed.
"Well actually, she's not REALLY my daughter. But she does like to call me Daddy... at certain moments..."
Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Great photos, Ladislav, thanks.

I really had no idea!

Are those interior shots from your apartment?
Cornfed
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Cornfed »

ladislav wrote:People with an unrelated 4 year degree who want to teach in Saudi may take this route.

They get a CELTA certificate and do a year in China, Korea, Japan. Some do it concurrently, some do it before or after, etc.
Then, they get a low end job in Oman- do a year.

Now, you are ready to apply in Saudi.
I'll look into teaching in Oman. What do they require as verification of your experience?
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Those are just Google image shots from other expat apartments. Mine looks very similar. You don't pay taxes if the income is under 90K something. Most people who work in Saudi save at least 20K a year. As far as Whether it has be be CELTA or not is open to disputes. I would go with CELTA as the safest route. In Oman, they didn't verify my experience. I don't think it is required for the visa. They may or may not spot check but what people normally do is they get letters of reference and numbers/emails of people to contact. Like any place else.
For all of you who have military experience, you should google "jobs in the Middle East for ex military".
abcdavid01
Experienced Poster

Post by abcdavid01 »

Wow, that's pretty cool. My job has me meeting with people from all over the world. Met a guy from Saudi the other day, most polite customer I've had yet. I'll store this in the back of my head as an idea.