Working in Game Reserves

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Africa or the Middle East.
Kradmelder
Experienced Poster

Working in Game Reserves

Post by Kradmelder »

I tendered a good price for a small dam design and feasibility at a very exclusive game reserve with the big 5 (rhino, lion, cheetah, leopard etc). The idea of a good price was the chance to ride my bikes inside a nice game reserve. There are also nice river crossings and it is very remote. The life of a Free White Man in Africa. :mrgreen:

Usually bikes and open vehicles are not allowed into game parks and the only times I could do that was for work. Nothing beats being on a bike on dirt with wildlife, the 4 legged kind, not the 2 legged darkies. So I sent them ID my vehicle registration etc with a big grin. They also asked if I want accomodation. It is 5 star for very wealthy europeans who arrive by private aircraft. The lions would get a surprise as a KTM comes roaring down the track :mrgreen:

Now I am told no private vehicles are allowed in the reserve and a ranger will pick me up at the gate and drive me around wherever I need to go. :( Bummer. Now it becomes just work, albeit in a very nice place in the bush. People pay $100s per night to go there, and I get it for free :mrgreen:

Life is tough for a white man in africa: pomp your lungs out the night before, leave early and ride bikes in the bush, , stay in fancy lodges, have sundowners watching game....and get paid for it....well a white man has to learn a good living....