Join John Adams, world renowned Intl Matchmaker, Monday nights 8:30 EST for Live Webcasts!
And check out Five Reasons why you should attend a FREE AFA Seminar! See locations and dates here.
View Active Topics View Your Posts Latest 100 Topics FAQ Topics Mobile Friendly Theme
Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Africa or The Middle East.
11 posts • Page 1 of 1
Freedoms of Saudi Arabia
Many people in the West do not associate Saudi Arabia with freedoms. But there are quite a few freedoms in Saudi Arabia.
However, before we start talking about freedoms, we need to acknowledge that there are two types of freedoms: there is a “freedom to” and a “freedom from”. Saudi Arabia has them both, but the majority are “freedoms from”.
Here they are:
1) Freedom from loud noises. There is virtually no noise pollution. No loud music, no shouting, no loud talking. It’s a very quiet country. The people in Saudi Arabia are also quiet and well behaved in public. They remind me of the Japanese.
2) Freedom from drunken thugs. There are no drunks on the streets here looking for trouble. No thuggish, insolent behavior resulting from alcohol. No drunken fights.
3) Freedom from rudeness, sarcasm, arrogance and bad vibes. Saudis are very modest and polite and are almost always in a good mood and happy with their lives. You almost never see sullen people who snap at you or lash out at you in a rude spell. No surly, sulky, negative faces. No curled out lower lips or raised chins when they address you. No grandstanding.
4) Freedom from taxes. Death is certain, taxes are not. Not here. There are no taxes. None.
5) Freedom from high prices on goods or services while making the same money as in the West. Everything not imported from some 1st world country here is about four times cheaper than in the Occident. Many things are subsidized. Gasoline is cheaper than water. What costs one dollar in the US or one Euro or one Pound, costs one Riyal here (US$ 0.27). A haircut is $4. A pair of cheap shoes is $5. A meal can also be had for about that or half that.
6) Freedom from police harassment, especially harassment of people of color. If you are a black American, you are just an American here. There are no cops spotting you and stopping you because you are black. There are not many police cars in the streets patrolling, anyway. Unless it’s some critical area near some military hostilities.
7) Freedom to buy many essential medicines at rock bottom prices without having to get a prescription. Also, a pharmacist can give what amounts to medical advice and tell you what you need for this or for that.
8) Freedom to go to a department store and linger in any aisle for as long as you want without a theft prevention officer checking you out and/ or following you. Stealing here is dealt with very harshly so they do not assume you will steal.
9) Freedom from violent street crime, catcalls, street harassment, snide remarks, etc. People also mind their own business, and expect you to mind yours. If you have a wife or a daughter and you are walking with her (you should be dressed appropriately, though), you don’t have to worry that some boors will make nasty comments about her or try and harass her. This is punishable by lashing in Saudi Arabia.
10) Freedom to park in many areas without having to worry that your car will be towed. You can even double park provided it is for a brief while and you will not be towed.
11) Freedom to wear your country’s ethnic clothes and not be made fun of or be told to go back to your country (provided they do not contradict Islamic rules). Or worse- get shot. A Pakistani can wear his long coats, an Afghani can wear his flat Afghani cap, a Sudanese can wear his huge white turban. Africans can wear their colorful dresses. Westerners wear their own stuff, and no one expects you to confirm to Saudi dress codes.
12) Freedom from gossip behind your back or being made fun of, period. It’s very bad in Islam to do that. One of the worst things you can do in social situations.
13) Freedom from having to get a permission to build something on your property such as a garage or an annex. It’s your house, your land. You do what you want there.
14). Freedom from feminazism. No haughty females looking down their nose at me and/or talking down to me as an empress would to a slave. Plus, no SJW's here either.
These are some freedoms that I can think of and can enjoy here in Saudi Arabia. It does not mean they are absolute or 100% in all situations at all times. But generally, these freedoms hold, and all that can live in Saudi Arabia can experience them. Life can be quite good here especially if one has a family. This is why you don’t see many Saudis trying to leave their country.
Last edited by ladislav on August 30th, 2017, 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Check out our Dating Sites and International Romance Tours!
Special Offer! FREE 6 Month Membership on ForeignWomen.com! Sign up here.
Find Your Foreign Sweetheart Now! Try our international Dating Sites and Overseas Romance Tours!
This sounds awesome. If only it wasn't such a sausage fest
How about p4p is that an option for expats, or is it only for the $heikhs ?
Also how does a jewish guy stroll around over there, or do they just assume you are some white russian/american ?
1)Too much of one thing defeats the purpose.
2)Everybody is full of it. What's your hypocrisy?
I am an uncircumcised gentile. Jews usually don't want to come here. If some do, it's just because they are not really Jews, but way back someone was. They just don't advertise it. Plus all these people are just Americans. Saudi deals harshly with terrorists here. But you take precautions, regardless. One comes here for money.
P4P is available in Bahrain. People just go there.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
Not really. Maybe against any outsider but not against people who are working under them and who are considered as nothing but slaves.
Saudis, both men and women, are known to treat employees like maids, drivers and other domestic staff, regardless if female or male, Muslim or other religion, in a very rude way and pay very low salaries, despite they have plenty of money.
There are countless of complains by foreigners doing low class work for families in Saudi Arabia.
Saudis living overseas, like here in Japan or in Malaysia, are known to be very stingy and arrogant, nobody wants to work for them, even Filipinas are refusing to do domestic jobs. Such work is done now mostly by uneducated rural Pakistani men and impoverished Indonesian Muslim women.
Saudi Arabia is also not known to be generous with visa for infidels without any business connection.
Yes, but it will be very expensive. Prepare to dish out big money. 50K ?
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!
They are surely everything you say and more. Some of the biggest assholes on the planet. In Saudi, domestic workers have little proection from beatings and rape. If they resist, they may be the pnes prosecuted . As you know Yohan, throughout Asia they are quite disliked, and for good reason. As soon as these pious Muslims hit the streets out of Muslim areas, they go whoring like mad and drinking up a storm while going out of their way to be assholes.
They are surely everything you say and more. Some of the biggest assholes on the planet. In Saudi, domestic workers have little proection from beatings and rape. If they resist, they may be the ones prosecuted . As you know Yohan, throughout Asia they are quite disliked, and for good reason. As soon as these pious Muslims hit the streets out of Muslim areas, they go whoring like mad and drinking up a storm while going out of their way to be assholes.
I did some research and the below article says they are setting the dowry price at SR50000 which is about $14000 USD. That is't too bad. Men who bring women over from Russia spend at least that much on everything, and in many cases a lot more. The article also claims it is creating a surplus of unmarried women which would give the advantage to older men with some accumulated wealth. My guess is that a Muslim country would accept a wide age difference?? This could be a viable unexplored path (which are always the best).