Happiness is Being a Kuwaiti

Discuss culture, living, traveling, relocating, dating or anything related to Africa or the Middle East.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Happiness is Being a Kuwaiti

Post by ladislav »

If you could choose a nationality, what would that be? Who has the best deal? I think Kuwait does!

The Kuwaiti government really takes care of its people.

Here are some examples!

If a Kuwaiti wants to get married, it gives the person USD 14,000 for the expenses. Half is a grant, one half they need to pay back interest free at some $130 a month. Not bad!
If that Kuwaiti wants later to buy/build a house, the government will provide an interest free loan of some $250,000. Some is forgiven, most is payable back at some $350 a month. Until paid. Not bad at all.
If they want to go and buy food, the government has a discount store for Kuwaitis. They pay some 40% of what a non citizen will pay.
If a Kuwaiti wants to study abroad, the government will pay for the flights, the tuition and books and give them a salary of some $2000 a month. Not bad!
If a Kuwaiti gets sick and needs to be treated abroad because Kuwait hospitals do not have the facilities, the government will pay for the medical care, the tickets and all the expenses associated with the person’s sojourn overseas while receiving the treatment. How much? Some Kuwaitis have mentioned up to $30,000 a month.
If a Kuwaiti has a child, the government will pay them $200 per child per month until the kids are 26 years old. To pay for miscellaneous expenses even if the person is employed.
If a young Kuwaiti student wants to get married while studying, his government will help with a stipend of some $2700 while he is still in school. This way a young person can start a family while still in school.
If a Kuwaiti woman becomes divorced, the government will pay her about US$ 1400 until she reestablishes herself marriage-wise or work-wise.
On the 50 th anniversary of Independence - Feb 25/2011, every Kuwaiti is going to get $3560 as a gift from its government. And starting from the Independence day every citizen will even be able to get a lot of free food from national stores for over a year.

There are many more benefits but these are the ones that Kuwaiti coworkers have told me about. Now I know what I want to be when I grow up!
Too bad full Kuwaiti nationality is very hard to get, even for those born in Kuwait.
A brain is a terrible thing to wash!

Meet Loads of Foreign Women in Person! Join Our Happier Abroad ROMANCE TOURS to Many Overseas Countries!

Meet Foreign Women Now! Post your FREE profile on Happier Abroad Personals and start receiving messages from gorgeous Foreign Women today!

Mr S
Veteran Poster

Post by Mr S »

It all sound fine and dandy on paper but I think in reality it causes people to become dependent on government rather than relying on themselves to get through life. What happens if oil as a commodity loses it's value and the government has no other revenue resources and it's people don't have skills to move into another economic area for survival? (although this won't happen for a long time, it will happen eventually)

The perception of someone who is born without struggle in life is entirely different from one that has to pull oneself up with their bootstraps and get through the good and bad of life.

There are numerous other hidden negatives that I don't feel like writing about. If I had been born into that environment and been a citizen I'd be an entirely different person and I'm sure less adventurous and independent as I am now.

Would I trade my opened eyes to reality for physical comforts and ignorance? Probably not...
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." Marcus Aurelius, Roman Emperor and stoic philosopher, 121-180 A.D.
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

Yes, I know what you mean but Kuwaitis still work, and their government has a strong social net and strong labor laws protecting employees. I will take their model at any time and still work hard.

Their government us now preparing for the times when there is no more oil. They are educating young people and investing money wisely. Look at Bahrain for one. They have recently run out of oil. But it is now a big tourist and banking center and they are doing OK. All these countries are now very serious about their future.
Last edited by ladislav on February 7th, 2011, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
globetrotter
Experienced Poster

Post by globetrotter »

It was not great to be a Kuwaiti on August 2, 1990, nor for many months after that date.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

even worse to be an american soldier suffering "accidental" friendly fire or returning home with gulf war syndrome
ladislav
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by ladislav »

OK, ok, I take it back. Happiness is being a Qatari or Emirati. Even bigger benefits and no one has invaded them yet.
odbo
Veteran Poster

Post by odbo »

i was gonna say..

cause average qatari makes like 6 figures if i'm not mistaken and doesn't do jack shit
and they just won rights to host the world cup despite having a tiny population
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

ladislav wrote:Yes, I know what you mean but Kuwaitis still work, and their government has a strong social net and strong labor laws protecting employees. I will take their model at any time and still work hard.

Their government us now preparing for the times when there is no more oil. They are educating young people and investing money wisely. Look at Bahrain for one. They have recently run out of oil. But it is now a big tourist and banking center and they are doing OK. All these countries are now very serious about their future.
ladislav that's great what the kuwait gov't is doing ... people elect parties into power but usually get little benefit. The elected are public servants & should work in the interest of the people. In most parts of the world the governments are corrupt & work for themselves by filling their own pockets. I especially like the healthcare & education grant social benefits.

I wanted to take a job in Saudi but the part where girls can't drive was the deal breaker for me. I like nothing better then a long drive to the middle of nowhere or for sightseeing. I would wear the burkha & follow all rules but having a car is a certain standard of life for me. I'm not one who enjoys waiting for a bus or train unless on vacation.

ladislav where's the easiest place besides Dubai for girls in the middle east?
- It's easy to give, when you know what it's like to have nothing. -

- Develop a backbone, not a wishbone. -
E_Irizarry
Veteran Poster

Post by E_Irizarry »

Renata wrote:
ladislav wrote:...ladislav where's the easiest place besides Dubai for girls in the middle east?
What's wrong with Turkey? Are you looking for a country that is totally devoid of "oppressing the woman"?? Are you kidding me???
"I appreciate the opportunities I have in America. Opportunities that allow me to live abroad." **Smiles** - Have2Fly@H.A. (2013)

"The only way to overcome that is to go abroad to get a broad."
- E. Irizarry (2009)

"MGTOW resilience is the key to foreign residence. You better muthafuckin' ask somebody!!"
- E. Irizarry (2012)

"I rather be ostracized by 157.0 million (27.3% of the US of Gay pop), then to appease 1 feminist." - E. Irizarry (2013)

TanBoy by DNA | Despedido, Hugo Chavez...Descansa en paz!
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

E_Irizarry I like Turkey but I plan on going somewhere new next year. I was looking at china, macau or japan but since I'm brown skin & tend to get dark in the sun easily & even heat causes my skin to change rapidly... it may not be the best place since they prefer more white/blond teachers.

I'm a bit of a risk taker & would like to experience life in the east. I had contact with a Saudi school to get info & they sent me a list of conditions; like I'll have to wear a burkha, teach only women, I'll be chaperoned everywhere when in public lol, & I can't drive... I like Dubai, it's an option.

I'm from the Caribbean, so north & south america & latin countries don't interest me. I've lived in the UK already & don't fancy living Europe too much. I want to try living in asia or the middle east next.
Last edited by Renata on July 14th, 2012, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

E_Irizarry wrote:
Renata wrote:
ladislav wrote:...ladislav where's the easiest place besides Dubai for girls in the middle east?
What's wrong with Turkey? Are you looking for a country that is totally devoid of "oppressing the woman"?? Are you kidding me???
Irizarry is right. A girl taking a long drive alone in Yemen, Libya, many places could be problematic at times. By comparison coastal Turkey seems tame.

But with all the NWO/US posturing in the Gulf, it would seem there are perhaps jobs in Bahrain and Qatar to fill, on U.S. bases. Don't know if they hire Trinis.

A lot of talk about Jordan and how liberal things are there.

What do you do, I forget?
Last edited by Jester on July 14th, 2012, 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

I teach english jester

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Renata wrote:......since I'm brown skin & tend to get dark in the sun easily & even heat causes my skin to change rapidly... it may not be the best place since they prefer more white/blond teachers.

I'm a bit of a risk taker & would like to experience life in the east...

... I like Dubai, it's an option.

I'm from the Caribbean, so north & south america & latin countries don't interest me. I've lived in the UK already & don't fancy living Europe too much. I want to try living in asia or the middle east next.
Renata wrote:I teach english jester
Ladislav can advise, he's been in Saudi, Oman, Kuwait I think.... but Dubai sounds like a nice fit for a modern gal.

Other trucial states (Emirates) like Abu Dhabi, Sharjah too. Maybe more conservative though.

PS You got me thinking about this TEFL thing. Hmmm. I'm pale and diploma'd. Wonder if money is better in ME or Far East?
Renata
Experienced Poster

Post by Renata »

It may be ok for me over there I'll blend in well since everyone here think i'm Iranian ... Dubai has some ridiculous salaries but the cost of living there is high. Although I wouldn't mind living there, I know it's quite nice :) Have you ever taught before? I used to teach IT so it wasn't too much of an odd transition.
There's something about the middle east I'll like to live there for a bit. Idon't mind the conservativeness ... it's the experience & meeting the locals I like.

Jester
Elite Upper Class Poster

Post by Jester »

Renata wrote:It may be ok for me over there I'll blend in well since everyone here think i'm Iranian ... Dubai has some ridiculous salaries but the cost of living there is high. Although I wouldn't mind living there, I know it's quite nice :) Have you ever taught before? I used to teach IT so it wasn't too much of an odd transition.
There's something about the middle east I'll like to live there for a bit. Idon't mind the conservativeness ... it's the experience & meeting the locals I like.
Arabs and Iranians come in different shades for sure... doesn't seem a problem to them. I'm sure you will find everyone pleasant.

Yes, i enjoy teaching....

REALLY enjoyed substituting at a private school teaching middle school (12 years old approx) math and science. I killed at that, Big turnaround for the class, really in my element.

Enjoyed teaching Berlitz TEFL to a businessman one-on-one...

Was teaching a novice how to be a real estate agent recently....

teaching and kind of personal coaching - I do those things well... communicating...

Also taught SAT (college admissions) to Korean-Am class but that was a headache - Asian style teacher oppression - 4 hours of homework prep to teach 1 hour of class... on obscure dry marxist-materialist-POV history apparently now being taught in college..

None of this was really professonal, I had other work.